Navigation replacement for 2008 Highlander Hybrid - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 2nd Generation (2008-2013) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation Toyota Highlanders.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 04-19-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
ColoHighlander in Boulder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Navigation replacement for 2008 Highlander Hybrid

I am new owner of a Highlander Hybrid from 2008, Limited trim, with broken navigation infotainment system. It's the high-end, factory nav with JBL speakers. CarToys and Crutchfield both say I cannot use a 2-DIN replacement. CarToys knows of nothing to replace it, while Crutchfield seems to offer some one-DIN units. (I don't get how a one-DIN would work, and don't see any faceplates for this.)

There was a similar discussion in 2012 by okzou (https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...placement.html). But that was about a 2013 with Advent.

I have seen and heard many talk about replacement of the factory navigation unit being very difficult. I don't understand the obstacle to replacement. Is it physical space in or behind the dash? Was the factory navigation too integrated into the car? Is it just a lack of faceplate? I would accept an ugly, not-quite-fitting faceplate if that were the only drawback!

Some have said I have no choice but to go with a repair to the existing unit or a search for an OEM original at a junkyard. A Toyota dealer quoted $2240 for the head unit replacement part! (That for old technology!) And I bet that finding the maps DVDs for this unit will be quite difficult, too.

A car audio place said they can send it in for repair for $750 plus labor. Ouch. Seems a bit risky as result not guaranteed.

Also, have seen some say 2009-2013. What changed from 2008 to 2009? I thought they are same generation/basic design.

I just need a working stereo/radio/speakers system. Even just a mini-jack input would be acceptable. Of course I would prefer USB, Bluetooth, CarPlay, Sirius XM, etc. Looking for answers or suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4395.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	238498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4396.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	238502  

Last edited by Gnurps; 04-19-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-20-2019, 03:04 AM
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnurps View Post
I am new owner of a Highlander Hybrid from 2008, Limited trim, with broken navigation infotainment system. It's the high-end, factory nav with JBL speakers. CarToys and Crutchfield both say I cannot use a 2-DIN replacement. CarToys knows of nothing to replace it, while Crutchfield seems to offer some one-DIN units. (I don't get how a one-DIN would work, and don't see any faceplates for this.)

There was a similar discussion in 2012 by okzou (https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...placement.html). But that was about a 2013 with Advent.

I have seen and heard many talk about replacement of the factory navigation unit being very difficult. I don't understand the obstacle to replacement. Is it physical space in or behind the dash? Was the factory navigation too integrated into the car? Is it just a lack of faceplate? I would accept an ugly, not-quite-fitting faceplate if that were the only drawback!

Some have said I have no choice but to go with a repair to the existing unit or a search for an OEM original at a junkyard. A Toyota dealer quoted $2240 for the head unit replacement part! (That for old technology!) And I bet that finding the maps DVDs for this unit will be quite difficult, too.

A car audio place said they can send it in for repair for $750 plus labor. Ouch. Seems a bit risky as result not guaranteed.

Also, have seen some say 2009-2013. What changed from 2008 to 2009? I thought they are same generation/basic design.

I just need a working stereo/radio/speakers system. Even just a mini-jack input would be acceptable. Of course I would prefer USB, Bluetooth, CarPlay, Sirius XM, etc. Looking for answers or suggestions.
Hi,
You have several options, eBay has 3 JBL OEM systems for your Highlander. Ranging from $750 to $850 dollars. They do make a double din Head unit ( after market) pioneer etc. But you would need a special harness to connect the after market Head Unit to the JBL amplifier and a dash kit since these are a square box without the knobs like the OEM unit. I also saw a Rosen Navigation on ebay System.. Similar to the Advent for $750 or go to www.car-part.com to find one in a junkyard.
I own a 2009 Toyota Camry SE and replaced my non JBL with an Advent OTOCAM2 Navigation system, unfortunately they don't make them anymore. So I don't know if they still make them for the Highlander.
Glenn

Sent from my A622GL using Tapatalk

MDX-TSX-R HID RETROFIT, XENON DIGITAL BALLASTS, 85122 + BULBS, GEN 6.5 CHROME WHEELS, ADVENT NAVI MEGANF.S.T.B. BLACKED OUT HEADLIGHTS, W.T FLOORLINER
post #3 of 26 Old 04-20-2019, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn14 View Post
You have several options, eBay has 3 JBL OEM systems for your Highlander. Ranging from $750 to $850 dollars.
Thanks! How would I search eBay to find those JBL systems?

Quote:
They do make a double din Head unit ( after market) pioneer etc. But you would need a special harness to connect the after market Head Unit to the JBL amplifier and a dash kit since these are a square box without the knobs like the OEM unit.
Do you mean that JBL makes the double din after market unit? Or someone else? How would I know what harness? I'm total beginner for this stuff!

Quote:
go to www.car-part.com to find one in a junkyard.
Great to learn about that site. Not sure what to search for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 04-20-2019, 06:33 AM
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks! How would I search eBay to find those JBL systems?
Google is your best friend,
Do you mean that JBL makes the double din after market unit? Or someone else? How would I know what harness? I'm total beginner for this stuff!

Great to learn about that site. Not sure what to search for.
www.car-part.com, once you get there you fill out the online form, what make, year, model of vehicle. Then you fill in what area you are in, then you scroll down and look at what part you need it goes from a-z r for radio etc then it will tell you what salvage yards in your area with a price will have your what you are looking for. its easy its all pulldown menues
Google is your best friend,
Link for ebay, just scroll down I see 3 JBL systems https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...tereo&_sacat=0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-High....c100667.m2042
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2010-T...4AAOSwxLlcplmk
Above there are 3 links for ebay JBL systems like yours.
No , Companies, like Kenwood, Pioneer they are all universal . Use google or call places like best buy, or your local car stereo places that sell and install aftermarket headunits and they could tell you what you need as far as wiring harnesses , and dashboard adaptors etc.
Hope this helps, you should be able to find something today for your 2008 Highlander.
Hope this helps,
Glenn
Gnurps likes this.

MDX-TSX-R HID RETROFIT, XENON DIGITAL BALLASTS, 85122 + BULBS, GEN 6.5 CHROME WHEELS, ADVENT NAVI MEGANF.S.T.B. BLACKED OUT HEADLIGHTS, W.T FLOORLINER

Last edited by glenn14; 04-20-2019 at 06:43 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to glenn14 For This Useful Post:
Gnurps (04-20-2019)
post #5 of 26 Old 04-20-2019, 06:33 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Does the radio have any features to it that ties into the hybrid system? monitoring any non stereo components?
If not, you can install any double-din you want with the non-hybrid dash adapter, by ripping out the JBL head unit, its amp, ..... and wiring everything independently. Obviously, I doubt that it'll be plug and play, like the chicom garbage sold online that was plug and play.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Stereo-...s/331859140260

Get any stereo you want, tie into the harness for power/ground. Pick an amp. Run some RCA's from the headunit to the amp. Power the amp with power/trigger/ground wiring. Run some speaker wires from the amp to your speakers. No need to use the JBL amp or factory speaker wires. Your local car stereo installation shop should have no problem doing this. If you want stereo wheel controls, have the shop install an appropriate steering wheel controls adapter and program it for the vehicle.

Search ebay for 2008 hybrid highlander navigation or 2008 hybrid highlander gps
Salvage yard used radios identical to your should show up

So many trolls so little time
The Following User Says Thank You to Greasymechtech For This Useful Post:
Gnurps (04-20-2019)
post #6 of 26 Old 04-20-2019, 06:46 AM
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM

Garage
Agree 100% I gave him all of the links above for ebay and www.car-part.com which will pull up
Salvage yard used radios identical to your should show up.
Glenn

Last edited by glenn14; 04-20-2019 at 06:49 AM.
post #7 of 26 Old 04-20-2019, 06:50 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
From what I understand your biggest issue is the buttons under the screen. Those buttons are different on the navigation radio than all the others. The aftermarket 2 din adapter will only fit the non navigation buttons. You could buy the non navigation wire harness to see if it works with your car's wire harness. If the harness works you would then have to buy a non navigation radio to get the correct buttons for the new 2 din adapter. You could also look into getting a 2013 radio from eBay. I've read that the button connections are the same as the older radios and it's perfect for a 2 din radio. None of this is gonna be cheap or fast, but the end results could be worth it.
Gnurps likes this.
post #8 of 26 Old 04-20-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Glenn14: Thanks for those links. Very heartening to see the radio is available.

I did see how to use the menus of car-part.com. But the only relevant category seems to be "cd player/radio". I went there and the only options were Matsushito. One junkyard had a smashed Highlander with that unit.
post #9 of 26 Old 04-20-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
soulsurvives: Thanks for that explanation. I think the buttons in question are for the hazard light, the security system, and the passenger airbags. So if the buttons on the bottom of a replacement unit are not what is prescribed for the car, does that mean those systems would fail? Maybe you have found the essence of my problem.
post #10 of 26 Old 04-20-2019, 09:49 AM
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM

Garage
Are theFlashers and air bag integrated in head unit ???

Quote:
Glenn14: Thanks for those links. Very heartening to see the radio is available.

I did see how to use the menus of car-part.com. But the only relevant category seems to be "cd player/radio". I went there and the only options were Matsushito. One junkyard had a smashed Highlander with that unit.
You are welcome, from what a have read and I googled it, Matsushita makes the JBL head units for Toyota (BUT DOUBLE CHECK) !!!
Depending on price. You have 3 options.
1. Call that Junkyard and ask them if that unit is a JBL. It will say JBL on the front.
2. You could order one from eBay and you would have a plug and play unit.
Another words a direct swap. And keep your Highlander all OEM. ARE YOUR FLASHERS, PASSENGER SIDE AIRBAG INTEGRATED IN THE FACTORY JBL HEAD UNIT ???
WHY I ASK IS SOULSERVIVES MENTIONS A VERY GOOD POINT, FROM THE PICTURES IT LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE, UNLESS THERE IS AN AFTERMARKET HARNESS AND CONTROL THEN DISREGARD WHAT I STATED IN STEP 3. ANOTHER WORDS YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO GO AFTERMARKET !!!!! I PUT ALL CAPS SO YOU COULD READ/SEE THIS !!!
3. If you want the latest technology, like,Android 8.1, Apple car play, WiFi, you get what I mean then you could go after market. Which would require you to get all of the necessary harnesses and dashboard adapter kits and face plates I WOULD CALL A LOCAL STEREO INSTALLER BEFORE I DID THIS TO SEE IF IT WOULD WORK !!!!
Its all up to you and what you want to do.

Let us know what you decide !!!
Glenn

Last edited by glenn14; 04-20-2019 at 10:50 AM.
post #11 of 26 Old 04-20-2019, 10:38 AM
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM

Garage
Here is a brand new one on ebay, but you have to send them your core/ your old head unit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TOYOTA-...aYMb-#viTabs_0
3rd pic in they repair all Head units for $339
Glenn

Last edited by glenn14; 04-20-2019 at 10:54 AM.
post #12 of 26 Old 04-20-2019, 11:41 AM
Official TN Member

The buttons under the screen are fully independent of the radio. If you look at the aftermarket radio bezels you will see holes under the screen area. The flasher and other buttons are removed from the factory radio and installed into the aftermarket radio bezel. Those buttons also have a wire harness that is independent of the radio wire harness.
post #13 of 26 Old 04-20-2019, 11:53 AM
Official TN Member

This thread will give you some good info.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.toy...3famp=1?espv=1
post #14 of 26 Old 04-20-2019, 12:00 PM
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurvives View Post
The buttons under the screen are fully independent of the radio. If you look at the aftermarket radio bezels you will see holes under the screen area. The flasher and other buttons are removed from the factory radio and installed into the aftermarket radio bezel. Those buttons also have a wire harness that is independent of the radio wire harness.
So looking at the JBL head unit the buttons are not integrated with the HU, so they must pop out thru the back, I don't own a Highlander, I own a Camry SE. So in that case then he could go after market. I try to think of the easiest solution. Which would be buy the same OEM head unit on eBay or from a junk yard and swap it out. I know on the Camry with thevJBL you need the PAC Tato harness to use with the stock JBL wiring. Then it would be his decision to update with an aftermarket head unit with Android, Car Play, WiFi , Waze, etc.
From the picture's it looked like the buttons were part of the head unit. Again I don't own or have sat in that year Highlander.
Thanks for your enlightenment.
Glenn

post #15 of 26 Old 04-20-2019, 12:57 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
It requires salvage yard parts. For the double-din adapter to work, you'll have to use the bezel from a non-hybrid and move the 'hazard' wiring etc over to the different bezel.

For the abomination knobbed 2008-2012 Highlander, some are using the double-din 2013 highlander bezel/faceplate. The volume/station knob turn into the hazard switches and airbag... lights

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...o-upgrade.html

So many trolls so little time

Last edited by Greasymechtech; 04-20-2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: old numb fingers cause typos... damn you arthritis and carpel tunnel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 2nd Generation (2008-2013)