OK, I know I'm a bit of a Spendthrift, But.... - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 2nd Generation (2008-2013) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-29-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
OK, I know I'm a bit of a Spendthrift, But....

....somewhere there must be Scot blood in my line! I'm all too ready to drop a few bucks on automotive gadgets so I got one of those Motivx funnels that screw into the oil filler on the HL. Fits my daughter's RAV4, too. But I just discovered a way to save those few bucks.
The plastic bottles for my morning OJ (Kroger's 52 ounce homestlye with pulp) with a slightly finer thread on the neck also will, with a little persuasion, screw into the filler. I just cut the bottle to a length I want and have a very fine fixed funnel.

But, even though I haven't used the Motivx yet, I'll keep it around. Too much trouble to send it back.

FWIW if there are any other Scots out there in TNation land.

Will

2013 Silver Limited AWD, OEM Hitch, BSM, running boards, mudguards, crossbars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-29-2019, 08:13 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I'm not Scot to my knowledge, but never knew about the Motivx funnel until recently. Great investment. Bought the 3 tool kit (funnel, oil filter wrench and oil filter drain) and am happy. Wished I had the funnel years ago because refilling the oil in both my Camry and my wife's Corolla was a pain with a conventional funnel as the oil could not flow into the engine faster than out of the bottle resulting in frequent spillage from the "air gap" around the funnel I was using and the filler hole in the valve cover. Not sure why Toyota changed from a normal oil filter to just needing to change the element, it certainly is not any more friendly to the environment, as I have spilled more oil from changing the oil filter once each in my HL and my wife's RAV4 than I have in a while with a conventional "sealed" oil filter (for lack of a better term).

Paul

Paul Probus
Current Rides:
2009 Toyota Highlander Sport
2018 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid (Wife's)
Previous:
2001 Toyota Camry
2003 Toyota Corrolla (Wife's)
post #3 of 5 Old 05-31-2019, 03:55 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I've been using funnels for over 30 years. The trick to not spilling anything is to not tip the bottle upside down LOL. As far as the new style filters vs the old style goes...I prefer the newer. I don't spill oil or get any on my hands. The old style wasn't bad if the were horizontal tho..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-01-2019, 08:07 AM
GOT SN❄W?

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Thanked 2,212 Times in 1,743 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Iíve got all the motivx goodies. They were a TN vendor for a while and sent them to me for testing. While I donít use it for filling our 2nd gen HL (because the fill opening allows oil to flow in at a decent pace), I most certainly use it on our 1st gen HL. Those you have to literally trickle the oil in. The motivx makes a nice seal keeping the oil going into the engine.

On the 2nd Gen, I used to use their screw on drain for the filter element change, but the little drain plug has seized up tight enough that trying to unscrew it just unscrews the whole element cover. So now I do like many others and just unscrew the whole thing and tip and drain the oil out into the catch pan. Definitely messy either way compared to the spin on canister on the 2nd Gen Tacoma. That one is right up top facing down with a drain where you just stick an old water bottle under it. Cleanest setup Iíve ever seen.

'05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s, 12/3/04
2010 Highlander 4WD
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
post #5 of 5 Old 06-20-2019, 09:17 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this actually works, as I have not tried it. But I once saw a video where a guy took an empty quart of oil, cut the bottom off, flipped it upside down and used it as a funnel. The male threads on the bottle fit the female threads on the opening in the engine where the oil cap goes. Again, I haven't actually tried this, but it may work for someone else. I just use a regular funnel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 2nd Generation (2008-2013)