2011 Highlander Limited Rear camera - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Highlander 2nd Generation (2008-2013) Forum dedicated to the discussion of 2nd generation Toyota Highlanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 Old 06-09-2019, 09:56 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddouki View Post
Here are some pictures of my current HU and steering wheel
You can install an aftermarket head unit, but it's not terrible easy. Search this forum and do some Googling and you'll find the info you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 Old 06-09-2019, 11:53 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddouki View Post
First I would like to thank you all for the great feedback.
It seems that aftermarket HUs are not compatible with JBL sound system and there is the small hazard button issue.
So I am still open to any other suggestions to upgrade the HU as I am unable to find a good one in Amazon.

Yeah, its not just a HU alone, if you want to maintain full functionality. I have not actually upgraded my HU, its on the to do list, but in doing my research I came across the iDatalink Maestro which is supposed to maintain all the OEM functionality with the aftermarket HU, including being able to use the stock JBL system. Others here have confirmed that. (Note: I didn't mention the iDL earlier because I have mentioned it in a few threads, and I want to make it clear, I'm not a shill, just someone trying to maintain as much stock as possible with a new HU. If anyone knows if there is another equivalent product, I'm open to seriously considering that as well, I take it that it is a small niche market so that's why there's really only one company.) The only issue that has not been figured out is the diversity antennae.

Paul Probus
Current Rides:
2009 Toyota Highlander Sport
2018 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid (Wife's)
Previous:
2001 Toyota Camry
2003 Toyota Corrolla (Wife's)
post #18 of 19 Old 06-09-2019, 12:25 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
As far as the diversity antenna goes. Could you just run a separate antenna from the new head unit? You could run a new antenna cable to the rear and use a small mast or shark fin antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 19 Old 06-09-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
@paul : I agree with you, idatalink Maestro Rr is the best in the market and jfyi there is another brand out here called Axxess but Maestro seems to retain most of the factory system features. While Axxess is mainly a steering wheel buttons interface, Maestro does the steering wheel controls, connects to the vehicles ODB2, shows TPMS sensors , extra gauge options and .... so on.

So I contacted an Amazon vendor who kindly called me back and provided the following solution:
1) Pioneer Avic-W8500 NES
2) Maestro ADS-MRR
3)maestro HRN-rr-T01 plug and play T-harness for Toyota
4) PAC USB-TY2 Toyota USB Port retention cable
5) Ai TOYK989 2008-2009 Toyota Highlander dash Kit (mine is 2011 so I am not sure if this an oversight and if I even need it)

All this for $999; it is a little bit above my budget but the vendor who was a real gentleman spent almost an hour on the phone explaining all the details, taking my current configuration information and answering all my questions. And his price is almost $200 below market.

I like the Pioneer 8500 but is still missing some features such as WIFI 3G/4G that most of Chinese aftermarkets HUs have.

So what all you gentlemen think ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Highlander Forum > Highlander 2nd Generation (2008-2013)