AMA Alert: What Do You Want to Know About the Toyota Camry TRD, 2020 Corolla and More? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Vangm25
  • 1 Post By Vangm25

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-23-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
AMA Alert: What Do You Want to Know About the Toyota Camry TRD, 2020 Corolla and More?

Quote:
Toyota is prepping to debut not one, not two, but five new models at the LA Auto Show next week and if you have questions about any of the big debuts, we’ll ask them to Toyota on your behalf.

Wednesday, Nov. 28 will be the world premiere of the Camry and Avalon TRD models, the 2020 Corolla, a Corolla Hybrid and what appears to be an all-wheel drive Prius.

Just after the debut, AutoGuide.com’s VP of Content, Colum Wood, will host a Facebook Live with Toyota North America’s Group Vice President and General Manager Jack Hollis.
Read more about AMA Alert: What Do You Want to Know About the Toyota Camry TRD, 2020 Corolla and More? at AutoGuide.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-12-2019, 08:56 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Awesome! I will check that out for sure, but as for questions I don't have any right now I'm just looking forward to the unveiling!
post #3 of 13 Old 02-20-2019, 02:01 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've got a question....will the Camry TRD get any performance upgrades or are we stuck with painted calipers and a different spoiler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-20-2019, 02:50 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil69 View Post
I've got a question....will the Camry TRD get any performance upgrades or are we stuck with painted calipers and a different spoiler?
The TRD packages, in addition to the cosmetics, normally include suspension upgrades and sometimes a performance exhaust system.
The 1st Gen TRD Tundra got upgraded Bilstein shocks with LSD and 265 series tires instead of 245's.
Engines and drivelines are generally standard issue.

I would expect a TRD Camry or Avalon to have heavier sway bars and a firmer suspension... would not expect performance adders.

-- Rich

post #5 of 13 Old 02-20-2019, 02:54 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Camry/Avalon will probably get better suspension, sportier exterior, I would assume exhaust, and maybe a TRD air filter.

Help those who accept it, troll those who shun it
post #6 of 13 Old 02-20-2019, 02:56 PM
Senior TN Member

My only issue with the Camry/Avalon TRD is that I can't give up my 08 Camry that has been good to me since my mom bought it. If I did buy a new Camry or Avalon, I would still keep my Camry.

post #7 of 13 Old 02-20-2019, 03:37 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb91710 View Post
The TRD packages, in addition to the cosmetics, normally include suspension upgrades and sometimes a performance exhaust system.
The 1st Gen TRD Tundra got upgraded Bilstein shocks with LSD and 265 series tires instead of 245's.
Engines and drivelines are generally standard issue.

I would expect a TRD Camry or Avalon to have heavier sway bars and a firmer suspension... would not expect performance adders.
So this is normal for TRD? The "Racing Development" team only changes a few components and throws on different badging and we're supposed to get excited for that? It just feels like such a let down.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-20-2019, 03:54 PM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
So this is normal for TRD? The "Racing Development" team only changes a few components and throws on different badging and we're supposed to get excited for that? It just feels like such a let down.
What else is new? Were you expecting them to supercharge them?
cb91710 likes this.

post #9 of 13 Old 02-20-2019, 09:04 PM
Senior TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
That's typical.
I've never seen a TRD edition with an actual performance difference. It is simply a cosmetic and handling package.
That doesn't mean it's worthless... It may cost a little more than DIY, but it's a way to get an upgraded suspension with a factory warranty, and in the case of the trucks, it's the only way to get limited slip.

At least they actually have something that improves the suspension... the SET/Gulf States "XP" or "X-Pro" packages are 100% cosmetic bolt-ons, and you'll play hell to get warranty service on one of the custom items outside of SET/GS territory.

But honestly, what do you expect? This package is going onto the V6, which runs 300hp out of the box. They aren't going to blow reliability out the window with a supercharger, particularly since the TRD upgrades are normally only a couple thousand. The biggest performance improvements available in the V6 Camry/Avalon is going to be in improved handling. They are plenty quick already. Heck, it's a 3.5l V6 with more HP than my '03 4.7 Tundra had.

-- Rich

post #10 of 13 Old 02-21-2019, 10:02 AM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb91710 View Post
But honestly, what do you expect? This package is going onto the V6, which runs 300hp out of the box. They aren't going to blow reliability out the window with a supercharger, particularly since the TRD upgrades are normally only a couple thousand. The biggest performance improvements available in the V6 Camry/Avalon is going to be in improved handling. They are plenty quick already. Heck, it's a 3.5l V6 with more HP than my '03 4.7 Tundra had.
Would it be asking to much to have a Camry that was quicker than a Accord? With less HP and more torque, that Accord is just as fast.

I'm new to Toyota. I just got the V6 XSE last year and I love that car. When I heard that there was a TRD Camry coming in 2020, I think my expectations exceeded reality.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-21-2019, 10:06 AM
Senior TN Member

Quote:
Would it be asking to much to have a Camry that was quicker than a Accord? With less HP and more torque, that Accord is just as fast.

I'm new to Toyota. I just got the V6 XSE last year and I love that car. When I heard that there was a TRD Camry coming in 2020, I think my expectations exceeded reality.
Accord vs Camry, "same class", different cars. Sometimes all you really need is better suspension components to be faster.
cb91710 likes this.

post #12 of 13 Old 02-21-2019, 03:08 PM
Senior TN Member

Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangm25 View Post
Accord vs Camry, "same class", different cars. Sometimes all you really need is better suspension components to be faster.
Bingo.
HP is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

But both mean less when there are a few S-curves thrown in. Acceleration is good for pulling hard out of a corner.
Superior handling allows you to carry more speed into and through the corner, so you don't need the acceleration to pull out.

-- Rich

post #13 of 13 Old 02-21-2019, 04:33 PM
BMR
Sheriff of Mayberry

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,874 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
The ‘99 Solara with the TRD package added a supercharger. Only exception I know of.

2015 RAV4 Limited, AWD, tech pkg, Barcelona red metallic, 61k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 394k
1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, totaled at 384k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Toyota News & Site News