Was It Wise For Toyota To Collab With BMW? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Justanother Okie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-29-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Post Was It Wise For Toyota To Collab With BMW?

Fans and car enthusiasts alike have been waiting years for the return of Toyota’s legendary Supra, but as more details of its co-development with BMW emerged, many have begun to question whether the risk was worth the reward. Toyota is no stranger to partnerships with other manufacturers and their tie in with Subaru for the BRZ and 86 was met with a similar reponse. So the question that needs to be asked, is if this union between Germany and Japan will play out any different.

When you consider how Toyota conducts business around the world, they often engage in partnerships to outsource certain components and save on production costs. For the Lexus LFA, they worked with Yamaha to produce that incredible V10 and they have co-developed many economy cars with Suzuki and Mazda. When it comes to the most crucial element of the A90, namely its straight-six engine, BMW was clearly the obvious choice.

Like every generation that precedes it, the fifth generation A90 Supra retains this...

READ MORE ABOUT IT: Was It Wise For Toyota To Collab With BMW?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-29-2019, 01:13 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I loved the old Supra like my Z4. These are both great cars. But honestly I think that BMW is heads up when it comes to the straight-six engine. I heard rumors about Z4 and Supra each having too small markets to continue each with the same level of quality and performance. So the best solution is certainly to join forces and continue the great sports car lines. I just love it. Though I am not sure which one to get: the new Supra or the Z4 once they are available
post #3 of 5 Old 04-13-2019, 12:13 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unhappy BMW jumped the shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by epfractial2 View Post
I loved the old Supra like my Z4. These are both great cars. But honestly I think that BMW is heads up when it comes to the straight-six engine. I heard rumors about Z4 and Supra each having too small markets to continue each with the same level of quality and performance. So the best solution is certainly to join forces and continue the great sports car lines. I just love it. Though I am not sure which one to get: the new Supra or the Z4 once they are available
BMW Jumped the shark years ago. Only a fool will buy one, leasing is the only option now. Their motor's are good, but it's everything else. Just look at what you can buy a BMW for with 100k miles. They are practically free, except to fix. If it has an automatic multi clutch, forget it.

Toyota's partnerships have not worked out well. Now you will by a overly complicated too expensive car with too much tech and too much plastic under the hood.
coolguyw7 and Phil Indeblanc like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-09-2019, 01:30 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Its an appalling disgrace that Toyota went to BMW to put together a mismatched Z4......you guys can tell us all you want......that its a Supra...but we all know that its just a Z4. Ive owned many Supras my entire life starting from the very early models from 81 and my last one was a 97. I still have that one and will never sell it. We waited more than 20 years for this dormant beast to be resurrected.....and is this the best that Toyota can give us??..........why not take the 97"s platform and modernize it with new modern ideas up till 2019 and give it an engine that would make the GT-R go hide under a rock. Hmmm Toyota should have come to me....i would have told them what the consumer wants. Get it right Toyota........its not too late.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-18-2019, 06:19 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Heck no! European cars are the absolute worst for reliability and ease of maint. and repairs!! Especially BMW and VW/Audi!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Nation Forums > Toyota News & Site News