Official Stock Parts Interchangeability Thread - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corona Forum Specific discussion of the Toyota Corona

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 43 Old 04-16-2008, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Corona is gone.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
shonuff, if you know specific parts that are interchangeable that would be even more helpful. Thanks. I wish there was a way to setup a database of specific parts info here, so everyone could reference it. Even having Toyota part numbers would be a cool thing to have.

Bryan
86 Hilux LE (blue)
Other Toyotas : 79 Corona DLX sedan (Mint green), 89 Corolla DX sedan (wine), 88 Camry V6 LE sedan (blk), 86 Hilux std bed (wine), 82 Celica GT hatchback (bwn), 78 Celica GT coupe (slvr), 76 Corolla SR-5 coupe (wht)

Last edited by 79Corona; 04-16-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 Old 04-16-2008, 03:40 PM
bilt not bot

i know a fair amount but it really boils down to what i posted and i really only know what fits on my cars not yours. honestly i dont have the time to make a comprehensive list, and due to lil differences i dont want to be the guy that said it would fit and it doesnt cuz you have a half year car or something. if your going to try to use something from another car its on your shoulders to make sure it will work. EVERYTHING read on the net should be verifyed by @ least 2 sources or its hearsay.

rule of thumb is if its from the same era as yours its the same, or close enuff to work.
post #18 of 43 Old 04-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Official TN Member

between the 78 and 79 coronas, there isn't much in terms of parts that can be interchanged. between those 2 years, toyota made a model change not a cosmetic change. chassis, suspension, body design are different between the 2 year models. just about the only part that i can really think of that can be shared by the 2 year models is the R-series engines.

and oh, since the wheels on both models have the same pcd, you could interchange those as well. other than that, i'll have to make some more research (ie. ask my friendly toyota parts shop owner ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 43 Old 04-16-2008, 08:58 PM
73GTV

Bryan, Thanks for starting the Modification Thread. I just posted all of the information that I had because all Items posted where stock items within Japan which is where I owned this vehicle pictured. That is also why I posted the engine listing for that particular vehicle. It was my way of sharing my love for that vehicle which i no longer own. Thanks for sharing your thread and the interchange. Thats all that I can add and I will allow you the respect by me not adding anymore information that would distract from your search for interchangable Parts,

Thanks
73GTV

Last edited by 73GTV; 04-16-2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #20 of 43 Old 04-17-2008, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Corona is gone.

Lifetime Supreme Member
(Thread Starter)
Thanks 73GTV, but are you leaving us?

Bryan
86 Hilux LE (blue)
Other Toyotas : 79 Corona DLX sedan (Mint green), 89 Corolla DX sedan (wine), 88 Camry V6 LE sedan (blk), 86 Hilux std bed (wine), 82 Celica GT hatchback (bwn), 78 Celica GT coupe (slvr), 76 Corolla SR-5 coupe (wht)
post #21 of 43 Old 04-17-2008, 06:01 PM
73GTV

No, I also have a Celica and should concentrate on it restoration but will continue to look in on the Corona site. I have the desire to purchase a 1967 Corona for a better reason to be within this forum, I head to California on the 25th for the weekend so i can see what I can find and will keep in touch
post #22 of 43 Old 05-28-2008, 09:47 AM
RA28 + MX73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Look for the Hollander manual.
It lists which parts interchange between Toyota models for most years.
Old manuals covering the 1970's come up quite often on Ebay.

A trip to the local wrecking yard with a tape measure brings up wonders.
Make up a table like the following to compare what each model has:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~stepho/...m#Crossmembers

For the record, the T10# and T11# series (what an American would call a '74-'78 model) went from Aug 1973 to Aug 1978.
It was replace by the T13# model which went from Aug 1978 onwards.

Australia made it's own version of the RT104 with many local parts (eg rear axle) which lasted until Aug 1979 - a year longer than the rest of the world.

Engines and gearboxes are freely interchangeable with the pickup, Celica and 4 cylinder Cressidas (not sold in N.America but popular in Asia and Europe).
Small caveat that you may have to use the rear extension housing of your old gearbox because different models used different extensions.
If you change engine families (eg put a 13T where a 20R used to be) then you will need to change the crossmember but changing within engine families is fine (eg 20R and 22R can swap).
Beware that some engines are taller than others, so bonnet (hood) clearance should be checked.

The front brake calliper bolt spacing is the same as used on early 1980's pickups with 4 spot callipers.
Works well when combined with a Peugeot vented disc (requires some machining to disc).

Wheels use the same PCD bolt pattern as Nissan and Mitsubishi.
Take care the offset also matches when taking rims from a late model Skyline or 200SX.

External mirrors are often interchangeable.
I recommend the '77 Celica GT bullet mirrors (similar 1969 Mustang mirrors also suit).
Replace the small internal mirror with a larger mirror from almost any later model Toyota (same roof bolt pattern).

- Stepho
post #23 of 43 Old 05-29-2008, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Corona is gone.

Lifetime Supreme Member
(Thread Starter)
Cool, I wish I could find some new front seat belts for mine.

Bryan
86 Hilux LE (blue)
post #24 of 43 Old 06-02-2008, 05:30 AM
RA28 + MX73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Seat belts are interchangeable with belts from other Toyotas of similar age.
Not too hard to put brand new aftermarket belts in - and a lot safer than 30 year old belts.

- Stepho
post #25 of 43 Old 06-06-2008, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Corona is gone.

Lifetime Supreme Member
(Thread Starter)
Actually it is impossible to incorporate aftermarket belts, because they do not mount in the locations design into the body, and therefore interfere with seat travel. Your first point may be correct, but I don't know which models are interchangeable nor whether parts are available.

Bryan
86 Hilux LE (blue)
post #26 of 43 Old 06-10-2008, 05:13 PM
New TN User

Wow, I've been looking for a thread like this forever!
Hey guys, new here. My girlfriend picked up a 72 Corona Mark II, and it needs some serious help. It's our "project car." We need to either repair or replace the differential, and are have NO luck finding a donor Corona at a junkyard. Is this list below implying the rear axle from any of the cars below will fit in the 72 Corona? If not, does anyone know for 100% certain a car that we could swap the diff from? HUGE thanks to you guys for any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonuff View Post
the same basic eng bay/drive train is present in:

us years
72-95 pickup (hilux) 2wd
72-85 celica rwd
72-8X corona
lots of little parts like relays, brake master's, speedo cables are interchangeable.

also most of the lil parts from older cars are interchangeable. so if your at a yard and not looking for body or trim look at all the yota's.

alot of times bigger parts stores wont stock parts for corona's but they do for a celica or truck. same thing just a different part#

-Chad

:: Jet Black 1998 BMW 540i :: 4.4L V-8 :: 6-Speed Manual :: Sport Package ::
post #27 of 43 Old 06-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Official TN Member

iirc, the mk2 has rear coil springs instead of leaf springs. the celica would be a better donor than the corona since the celica also use rear coil springs.
post #28 of 43 Old 06-10-2008, 06:58 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin71 View Post
iirc, the mk2 has rear coil springs instead of leaf springs. the celica would be a better donor than the corona since the celica also use rear coil springs.
The 72 Corona Mark II has coil front, leaf rear.
No clue about other years, though.

Do you agree that one of those cars would make a good donor? Or were you referring to something else, or just generally?

-Chad

Last edited by E36 Phantom; 06-10-2008 at 06:59 PM.
post #29 of 43 Old 06-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Official TN Member

i stand corrected.
the corona and hilux would be good donor cars then.
Chrisabyss likes this.
post #30 of 43 Old 06-12-2008, 08:33 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin71 View Post
i stand corrected.
the corona and hilux would be good donor cars then.
No worries. I was surprised to see leaf springs when I looked under it the first time . First passenger car I've seen in my life with leafs, usually just on pickups!

So the regular Corona and the Hilux would be direct drop-ins. Hm, this is good and bad. Standard Coronas aren't exactly common in the parts yards here, either. And, the Hilux is hit an miss. The Hilux name was dropped in the US early on, and supposedly the Toyota truck in the US looked the same as the Hilux but may or may not have shared the same mechanicals, I can't seem to get agreeing info on that in my searches.

Out of curiosity, has anyone pulled the differential on these cars, or would you know if it would be marked? If the differential has a unit model number on it, I could just cross check that with similar cars at the parts yards. There's a gigantic one a few hours away that is supposed to have tons of cars, not just your local PickNPull, so hopefully I can find something there. But I'd like to be able to cross check it. If there's a number on them it would be worth me pulling the diff to retrieve it for when I go out there.

BTW, to the mods, if you want feel free to move these posts to a new thread so we're not going too O/T here. I can just post back a definitive answer later so the thread doesn't get too convoluted with discussion if you want to keep this as a reference thread instead of a discussion thread.

-Chad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corona Forum