Toyota Nation Forum banner

Corona Owners Intoductions

34K views 46 replies 41 participants last post by  ProDentim 
#1 ·
I decided to add this thread so we could get to know a bit about each other. Please feel free to add a post about yourself. I'd like to keep it to one post per owner so it's easy to scroll down to find someone. I think you can always go back and edit your post to add/revise something. Anyway, carry on.
:rockon:

Reactions: bwjunkie
#2 · (Edited)
I guess I should go first. Well as you can see, I've owned quite a few Toyotas. That wasn't always by choice, but mostly so. I've also owned Nissan/Datsun cars, one French car, and a couple of American cars. All of my Toyotas have been reliable for the most part. The Camry was the most refined and probably a close second in fun to drive to the 82 Celica.

I'm 49 and have lived in Virginia my whole life, and am a civilian engineer for the US Army. I have three children and a mortgage payment. ;)

I'm the third owner of the Corona, which belonged to my wife's grandmother since it was five years old until about three or four years ago. It is currently in very good running condition, and is my daily driver. It needs some cosmetic work mainly below the door guards. To date, repair/upgrade work has included a repaired exh manifold, new manifold-back exhaust system plus chrome tip, new Weber DGEV carburetor, transmission kickdown cable, modern headlights, Kenwood CD receiver with XM Sat and four Infinity speakers, Toyota cast wheels & new tires, KYB shocks/struts, new rear light seals, new head liner, new brakes, rust repair w/ new metal, new idler/pitman arms, repaired AC system, new marker lights, new starter, new alternator, new tune-up parts and leather steering wheel wrap.

#3 ·
hi my name is nuff, and im a toyotaholic.

currently i own 7 rwd based toyotas with my newest one being a 85

74 corona wagon
75 SR5 hilux
78 hilux
78 celica GT
79 celica ST
80 4x4 SR5 longbed hilux
85 AE86

im also that guy with the lifted celica, lowered and supercharged wagon, beat to piss wheeler and a bone stock never drifted AE86. ive owned over 40 cars and im just about 30. diehard classic toyota fan with 2 tattoo's to prove it. i have just about every way you could mod a carb powerd 2xr in and running. im also a firm believer of "fab it yourself" since there really isnt much you can buy that bolts on.

some would also call me quite the crazy F'er, but you decide that for yourselves
www.youtube.com/nuffbilt

if you wish to see pics of my car collection from the last 4yrs or so, checkout my photobucket here
http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j204/CB_shonuff/

#4 ·
new to Board

I own an 1980 Corona wagon which is my work car .

I am getting ready start in on the body work this spring.
Last year I did mechanical inner ano outer tie rods wheel bearings ,rotors,calipers ,drums ,wheel cylinders ,weber carb,cam.headers, DUI Ignition,

I need a grille.

Anway Im 53 and have had an equal number of cars over the years a 67 fairlane first and a 93 camry being most recent.

Currently other thann the corona I have a96 Jag Vanden Plas and an 87 Alfa Romeo spider.

Tim in Ormond Beach Fla

#5 ·
Well, time for my introduction than I guess ;)

Hi, My name is Patrieck (Better known as Blof-fan on the i-net). I'm 25 years young and I live in the Netherlands (Better known as Holland to some people)

After driving a '92 AE92 Corolla Hatchback for a few years as my first car, I became such a fan of that model that I have bought a (In these parts of the world) rare AE92 GT-S Coupé as a project car.

The Hatchback eventually just about rusted away, and in order to save it, I had to look for a new daily driver.
I now have the nasty and expencive habbit that I can't part with a car that I have owned and I want to improve it or restor it to it's former glory :D
So both Corolla's are at a shed I rent and have converted into my own workshop, were I do all the maintenance on my cars myself.

With a girlfriend and a 3 year old child, a larger car was needed. What better car than a '92 Carina E GTi.
With all the extra's like the 156bhp 2000cc 16V 3S-GE, Superstrut suspension and alot of other goodies, it was the only car that I would consider as a familycar.
I bought it in juni 2008 and I am still very pleased with it, although I keep tinkering on it.

For more information on me and my projectcar, I'd like to refer you guys to my personal website: http://www.corollaae92gts.nl

#6 · (Edited)
hi all,

i've been a member for some time now. i've had a handful of toyotas over that last few years. the most recent is a 1978 toyota corona that my girlfriend bought about a month or so ago.

it is a corona 2000 with an 18R-C engine and what looks like a borg warner automatic. leaf springs in the back.

i have been working on it to get it ready for registration. in the last few days i have changed a few steering parts and done a minor service on it.

the car itself is in pretty good condition. it was in the same family all its life until we bought it. all the chrome trimmings are there and the interior is in very good condition. everything works. unfortunately, it does not have air conditioning, but we don't mind.

myself, i have a thing for old ford vehicles (i currently have a 1977 LTD, a 1978 Falcon and a 1984 F-100) but i've always had a soft spot for toyotas and this one i really like. i really think the build quality of these vehicles was outstanding and i'm glad my girlfriend has bought this car. she also has a 2002 toyota corolla, but she'll be selling that soon to drive the corona on a daily basis.

as you can imagine, i'll be doing all the servicing on the corona...

i've previously spent a lot of time on the camry section as i used to have a sedan and a couple of wagons (all gen3). i also used to have an ST162 celica.

i am a tradesman motor mechanic and i look forward to contributing in discusions regarding general maintenance, but i don't do any modification work. just not interested in that.

i'm 33 and i live in Brisbane, Australia, but born in Peru.

cheers,

Dan.

EDIT: car is now registered. here's a pic we took just before taking it to get a roadworthy certificate yesterday:

#8 ·
Hi, my name is Kevin and my first car in 1984 was a 67 Corona 3 on the tree, except for the boat like handling around corners, I loved the car. I just picked up a 68 white 4 door with 3 on the tree I am going to go through. I also own a 2006 Camry, 1991 325i, and 2 Hond 600's.

I live in the Sacramento area and will be needing parts and advice in the future. I am versed in BMW 2002's and have had 4 of them, I look forward to getting my hands dirty.

Kevin Gailey

#12 ·
Hello from Chicago

Hello im the new guy. I own a 1969 Toyota Corona and a 1992 Toyota Previa. I have owned many toyotas during my life. I own a very successful import repaire facility in Chicago. Iv been extremly busy the past few years and have lost touch with the toyota enthusiest in me. Hoping to get back into it.

#13 ·
Another new guy.
Two 79 Rona's, a wagon and a 4 door.
4 door is the daily, rebuilt 20r, cam, weber, 5 spd swapped, supra rims, cut springs, the basics.
Wagon has a 2jz/R154 and a ford 8.8 in the rear, not running yet. Might be parting it, not too sure.
Had a supra and cressida as well.
Big Toyota enthusiast, all I've ever driven and I work at a dealer. haha.

#15 · (Edited)
New owner of 78 corona....

Hello, My name is Domingo I'm a member of several ther forums because I've own just all the toyotas (except the land cruiser) since the late 70's. Yes, im way up there.
have a small business of dealing with vintage modern furniture from the 50's up[ to the 70's.

WE used to have a '76 back in my homeland(Philippines) and sure was coo t drive. the car with 12r engine

Recently sold my 1974 celica with 18rg and then happen to stumble upon this on the side road in central tucson. Here's my new ride.

Check out the album on how she look when I found her. Interior is shot and missing parts so I will be looking for some. I have a 72 celica parts car so if anyone on the board need anything just email and maybe we can do trade or something. thanks.

http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/bong101/ex-rt105/

unfortunately my 78 corona is no longer with me. she got totaled but most parts that you see here are now transplanted into my current projet. a 73 corolla.

#16 ·

Hello everyone!

I own a 1979 Coroba Wagon I acquired from a retiring doctor. Did a paint wash-over in metallic blue back in '98 and then the rust started to come out in 2004 after several years under the sun and rain because I didn't have a roofed garage.

Engine is a 12RM (low compression/LPG capable/Asia Only) I heard that one of Toyota's engine with the highest regard for reliability and strength.

This car is a perfect runner and passes the emission test every year, still lucky to keep that emission under par... thanks to Ethanol mixed unleaded fuels!

Good day to all!

#17 ·
69 Toyota Corona Mark II

Hello Everyone!
My name is Nikki and I have owned 2 Toyota vehicles the only two cars I've ever owned.
Right now I have a 69 Toyota Corona that I am trying to sell. It just isn't the car for my daughter and I. But I just got some new pics posted!
And I am located in Grass Valley, CA

Check out my Pics! And the car you won't be disappointed.

http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/ss339/miss_skittles/

#18 ·
My name is Kris. I've owned quite a few cars, but i've only ever owned 2 toyotas, an 87 MR2 and just recently picked up a 74 Corona Mark II.

i hate to cheat, but here's my intro (copy + paste style) :naughty:

"How's it goin?
I recently came across a '74 corona mark II sitting in a junkyard here in Okinawa. Finding anything older than mid 80's in okinawa, in decent shape is a pretty tough thing to do, but this just happened to pop up. I decided to sell my S14 and buy this beautiful piece of history.
I have some pretty decent knowledge of classic cars, but, mainly american classics, so I've come here to see what kind of info i can find regarding older toys.
That's about all i can think of for now...so..."

There are more pics in that thread if you'd like to see them :thumbsup:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358871

#19 · (Edited)
Hello All. My name is Craig and I have had 6 pre 86 toyota, 4 of which have exceeded 500,000 miles. My current toy is a 77 Corona HT. I fell into a 20R block which had never been used, but had been bored .50 over with .50 pistons and a balanced crank. Once I had this I realized that I had enough parts laying around to build a motor, so I chose the best of 4 heads, had a 5 angle valve grind done, mild porting on the intake side. Webber 32/36 progressive downdraft carb, and a Headman header. Oh yea, and replaced the points with an optical sensor/electronic ignition. So, at 480,000 miles I replaced the engine because I could, not because it was needed original engine ran great. This is pretty much my daily drive, but I tend not to drive it in the rain or snow.

I would love to upgrade the stock low-back bucket seats with some high-back ones out of a corolla or celica. so if anybody has some...... ;)

I have the shock in front and leaf's in the rear setup, so any suggestion on how to improve the ride/handeling is also much appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

Oh yea, and the AC still works!!! :)

#20 ·
New to the corona's

Ti & Teresa, aka T-n-T here, Boise Idaho, we just purchased our 78 wagon on CL for $825.00 pretty much as it is in our pics.
Found most of the missing little bits at a local salvage yard including a 32/36 weber with adapters for $21 total.
I am not new to the wonderful world of Toyata's, had 76 celica the met a telephone pole years back and I used to own the ugliest 76 hilux ever, it was a Boeing runway truck that did not have a license or see a street for the first twenty years of its life had roughly 350,000 and didn't have a square inch area on it with out a dent or rust spot but it ran like a top, best $200 I ever spent. Sold it for $350 after driving it for two years.

#21 ·
Hey there. I'm Steve, 53 and have a Tacoma and two 77 Corona Wagons. My first is a manual that's modded with a Weber carb and lifted for use in Mexico where we Winter.. It runs nice but is rusting badly by now as we live on the coast. My second Corona is it's replacement, with an auto trans and has not been modified in any way yet. It's in very good stock shape mechanically, but it's from Arizona and all it's rubber and plastic is shot. I'm just getting it going and looking for some stuff. I'll post a new thread to ask.

Cheers,
Steve

#23 ·
Hello all. I am now the proud owner of my grandmother's 1969 Corona 2-door coupe. It has 51K miles on it. She bought it used in 1971 with 36K miles on it. It is on awesome shape for a 42 year old car.

What are some online sources for any parts or information about a Corona this old? I live in Kansas City, not exactly the heart of Toyota country.

I am looking forward to interacting with other owners.

Later...

#24 · (Edited)
Hello all. I am now the proud owner of my grandmother's 1969 Corona 2-door coupe. It has 51K miles on it. She bought it used in 1971 with 36K miles on it. It is on awesome shape for a 42 year old car.

What are some online sources for any parts or information about a Corona this old? I live in Kansas City, not exactly the heart of Toyota country.

I am looking forward to interacting with other owners.

Later...
TORC is a good place, talk to Carlyn.

http://toyotacluborg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=coronas

#25 · (Edited)
hello!

Hi guys, thanks for having this Corona forum up, very cool!

My only car is a 1980 Corona dx, I posted in the gallery, but here is a pic also. I bought it in 2010 with only 100k miles from an original owner, in near perfect condition, put swapped out the stock carb for a Weber. Loving the getting used to owning an older car again.
Things I'm thinking about are: I noticed some clunkyness in the driveshaft and rear end which I will have to learn more about. Also the weber has no fuel shut off and when i park it in my 1 car garage it sometimes smells like gas in there. Possibly also because I think it's running a bit rich. Only getting 21mpg, kinda weak, but during summer it seems to improve to 25 *shrug*.
Sweet perfectly working stock stereo! (but wired mono?) 4 speaker am/fm system, thinking about adding in a little sub amp and speaker, but I kinda like it just the way it is, especially when listening to classic rock.
Was there ever a cassette option? would be kinda cool to install a stock.
thanks again
Josh (Colorado)

#26 ·
Howdy

Howdy from Atlanta!

I spent a lot of time in old Toyota wagons as a kid, and so naturally as an adult I figure I might as well get one and fix er up. I've mostly been spending my time on old Toyota trucks - on my 5th 1st gen 4Runner - this one an 88 with the 5VZ swap, had a 76 FJ40 and now a 95 FZJ80 - and figured it's time to give a wagon a try.

Traded a 1990 Audi V8 Quattro for a 1978 Corona Wagon a couple weeks back and been trying to get it back on the road.

Look forward to learning and helping!

-Ted

#27 ·
1978 Toyota Corona Sedan 5 Speed

Rather than repeat the wheel, my new member post is below. Pretty STOKED owner of a 1978 Toyota Corona. Runs solid, no dripping fluids and only bad thing about the interior is the rear seatback which I'm having a hard time finding online so at some point will just get it redone.

Got a ton of upgrade parts to install and still need to do a tune-up but love this car and am glad to see other nice Corona's!

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/5...436-new-toyota-nation-1978-toyota-corona.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.