post #1 of 6 Old 07-11-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Can i use green coolant?

Hi All! Got our 1995 Corolla going and have a question about coolant. We've been tracking down a mystery coolant leak and have been using some cheap Walmart green 50/50 coolant while we have been troubleshooting. (Cheaper than Toyota spec coolant). Anyway, I am wondering if it is safe to run the car using the Walmart 50/50 coolant for a few months until we are sure we have fixed all the leaks? After that, I would like to switch out the coolant for what is required. However, went to to two different local auto-stores and have been told that our Corolla takes two different types of coolant: Orange and Red?? The type suggested depends on who you talk to.

So I have a few questions I am sure you folks here can answer:

1) Can we run the car for a few months using the Green Walmart 50/50 mix? Will it hurt the car?
2) When we do change over to the correct coolant; How doe we completely flush out the car of the old green 50/50 coolant so we don't mix the two inside the cooling system? Is there a step by step somewhere here? or just drain the radiator and refill with correct coolant?
3) What is the correct coolant for this year Corolla? And is there a store version cheaper than then getting it at Toyota?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-11-2019, 02:20 PM
GHT
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdad View Post
Hi All! Got our 1995 Corolla going and have a question about coolant. We've been tracking down a mystery coolant leak and have been using some cheap Walmart green 50/50 coolant while we have been troubleshooting. (Cheaper than Toyota spec coolant). Anyway, I am wondering if it is safe to run the car using the Walmart 50/50 coolant for a few months until we are sure we have fixed all the leaks? After that, I would like to switch out the coolant for what is required. However, went to to two different local auto-stores and have been told that our Corolla takes two different types of coolant: Orange and Red?? The type suggested depends on who you talk to.

So I have a few questions I am sure you folks here can answer:

1) Can we run the car for a few months using the Green Walmart 50/50 mix? Will it hurt the car?
2) When we do change over to the correct coolant; How doe we completely flush out the car of the old green 50/50 coolant so we don't mix the two inside the cooling system? Is there a step by step somewhere here? or just drain the radiator and refill with correct coolant?
3) What is the correct coolant for this year Corolla? And is there a store version cheaper than then getting it at Toyota?
1) Yes, you can. No, it won't.
2) I don't think a complete flush is necessary but if you can get the lower hose off etc to flush, let some regular water run through, does not have to be distilled for the flush...
3) I think regular green Ethylene Glycol is correct for this car and the Orange and Red is on later gen Toyotas.. them being long-life coolants .......
The Following User Says Thank You to GHT For This Useful Post:
DannoXYZ (07-12-2019)
post #3 of 6 Old 07-11-2019, 02:41 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Supreme Member
You're asking the wrong question. The color of antifreeze does not definitively tell you what the spec of the fluid is.

You'll have to let us know what exact fluid it is you're planning on adding. It's not a given that it will work.

As for your second question I'm a big fan of using concentrated fluid for that exact reason. You can do a water flush, then when you know you have 100% water in the system after a flush you can drain the radiator and expansion tank, and knowing the total system capacity you can add 50% of that in concentrated fluid.

Toyota Long Life (Red, concentrated) and extra long life (pink, diluted) are backwards compatible and will work very well in this car. If you wanted cheaper than Toyota Red (which I prefer) you could do something like a Zerex Asian long-life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-11-2019, 03:08 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1880 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Yeah, colour is not universal and you can seriously damage your engine if you mix two different types of green coolants.

What you want is HOAT - hybrid organic acid technology. Silicates-free and uses phosphates for long water-pump life and protection of aluminium parts. It's been standard for European cars for many decades now too. Latest POAT will go for 7-years.

Make sure to avoid DexCool (DeathCool) like plague! It turns to gel when there's air in system (or other contaminants) and clogs your entire cooling system. Class-action lawsuits adding up to hundred$ million$+ really contributed to bankrupting GM.

Check out:

https://www.sae.org/publications/tec.../1999-01-0130/
http://www.recochem.com/us/media/upl..._June_2015.pdf
http://www.pqiamerica.com/Antifreeze...t_Timeline.pdf
post #5 of 6 Old 07-11-2019, 04:21 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
The car originally came with Toyota red, which is what I still use. It's quite expensive though.

1995 A131L 4AFE Toyota Corolla
post #6 of 6 Old 07-18-2019, 12:12 AM
DrZ
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
My 1997 Owner's Manual says
Quote:
Your coolant must contain ethylene-glycol antifreeze. in addition to preventing freezing and subsequent damage to the engine, this will also prevent corrosion. Further supplemental inhibitors or additives are neither needed nor recommended.
And my 1997 Toyota Repair Manual says
Quote:
  • Use a good brand of ethylene-glycol base coolant and mix it according to the manufacturer's directions.
  • Using coolant which includes more than 50% ethylene-glycol (but not more than 70%) is recommended.
NOTICE:
  • Do not use an alcohol type coolant.
  • The coolant should be mixed with demineralized water or distilled water.
I think this settles the debate.
Chris94 and Carvocado like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrZ For This Useful Post:
Pete Suhman (07-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 7th Generation (1993-1997)