What did you do to your Corolla Today? - Page 121 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corolla 7th Generation (1993-1997) Specific discussion of the 7th generation

1236Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1801 of 1805 Old 05-15-2019, 10:45 AM
GHT
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94RollaDad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeder7001 View Post
I actually was low on oil a couple of weeks ago... Like 2.5qts low...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHT View Post
Mine is the opposite, it is like a quart over.
So... seems like you should do some oil pooling between the two of you!

Why would you want to overfill the crank case? It's pretty bad for the engine...
Tell him to come by with the orange siphon pump and he can have some of mine, I learned that putting the drain plug back on mid-oil change only half works when it's cold oil.

How did it get full? Well, I have somewhat of an oil burner (4AFE is famous for that if I remember) and thought it would be a great way to get rid of it.

And it's only bad for the engine if it is so full that the Crank whips it into a foamy oil latte, thus removing lubrication and more like soda through a straw than water or something without bubbles. You have to be like two or three over before that starts happening.. if you're REALLY too full, it will get past and be in your exhaust and that's another major overfill, thought ~1 at was about the max of "bad" some people have their dipstick waaaaay higher than that....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1805 Old 05-16-2019, 03:00 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Went to pickup the car from the mechanic's shop today. Unfortunately I do not have the right tools or skill to make the repairs that it had... It needed a new engine mount, which had become junk, completely destroyed (forgot to snap a pic). During the repair the first exhaust bracket broke, too rusty, so it needed a new one... Since it was there, I asked to look at the front suspension, there was a random noise. New stabilizer bar links were necessary.
I left with my wallet much lighter but without the noises and vibrations from the past few weeks, and with a more reactive front-end.

But it's not over... strangely, the steering column now vibrates a lot but only when idling, I noticed the steering is needing an alignment, and because I was driving a borrowed, but newer car on these past days, now it shows that there is not much life left in the old rolla's clutch
post #1803 of 1805 Old 05-16-2019, 06:04 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverCE100 View Post
But it's not over... strangely, the steering column now vibrates a lot but only when idling

I've had vibration in the steering column at idle as far back as I can remember. I recently changed all 4 mounts with OEM, and vibration is minimized, but the steering column vibration at idle remained.
Pete Suhman likes this.

1995 A131L 4AFE Toyota Corolla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1804 of 1805 Old 05-17-2019, 05:29 AM
GHT
Official TN Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94RollaDad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeder7001 View Post
I actually was low on oil a couple of weeks ago... Like 2.5qts low...
Quote:
Mine is the opposite, it is like a quart over.
So... seems like you should do some oil pooling between the two of you!

Why would you want to overfill the crank case? It's pretty bad for the engine...
Tell him to come by with the orange siphon pump and he can have some of mine, I learned that putting the drain plug back on mid-oil change only half works when it's cold oil.

How did it get full? Well, I have somewhat of an oil burner (4AFE is famous for that if I remember) and thought it would be a great way to get rid of it.

And it's only bad for the engine if it is so full that the Crank whips it into a foamy oil latte, thus removing lubrication and more like soda through a straw than water or something without bubbles. You have to be like two or three over before that starts happening.. if you're REALLY too full, it will get past and be in your exhaust and that's another major overfill, thought ~1 at was about the max of "bad" some people have their dipstick waaaaay higher than that....
It seems I was wrong. The oil level cold was pretty much exactly full, to the top of the fill mark.

I then proceeded to drive it home with suspected not proper timing, and some big vacuum leaks from intake hose not being tightened etc. Made it.

Car runs like a champ now. Am examining fluids. No leaks so far. Good.
94RollaDad likes this.
post #1805 of 1805 Old 05-19-2019, 06:54 PM
GHT
Official TN Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 7th Generation (1993-1997)