How much is my 2002 chevy prizm worth? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corolla 8th Generation (1998-2002) Specific discussion of the 8th generation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-27-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
How much is my 2002 chevy prizm worth?

recently decided I want to sell my prizm and purchase something a little newer/bigger. I've had the car for about 2 and a half years and I love it as it has given me about 26,000 relatively trouble free miles, but I owned a beautiful 1999 toyota solara fully loaded before it, and I definitely want to go back to a bigger, smoother car like that. it's in pretty good shape, the body is solid, little rust around the wheel wells, and some rust up underneath the car, but the paint is very good. only 84,000 miles too as the previous owner was a 95 year old ww2 veteran. it has had some new parts replaced recently;

- new sway bar links in the front
- new calipers and pads in the front last year
- new drum brake assembly a couple of weeks ago
- rear brake lines were replaced last year
- new o2 sensor a couple of months ago
- exhaust manifold gasket and donut gasket replaced recently
- oil changed every 4000 miles
- everything runs well/transmission is very smooth
- very clean interior, JVC stereo and rockford fosgate speakers in the front
- front tires are solid with plenty of tread, rear will need to be replaced probably come winter time

I live in upstate new york so I see cars like mine on craigslist all the time for around $3000-$4000, is that too much to list mine? it's an 18 year old car so I know I can't get that much for it, but I'm using the money I make to purchase my next car, so I want to get a reasonable amount for it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-27-2019, 09:45 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avellone5 View Post
recently decided I want to sell my prizm and purchase something a little newer/bigger. I've had the car for about 2 and a half years and I love it as it has given me about 26,000 relatively trouble free miles, but I owned a beautiful 1999 toyota solara fully loaded before it, and I definitely want to go back to a bigger, smoother car like that. it's in pretty good shape, the body is solid, little rust around the wheel wells, and some rust up underneath the car, but the paint is very good. only 84,000 miles too as the previous owner was a 95 year old ww2 veteran. it has had some new parts replaced recently;

- new sway bar links in the front
- new calipers and pads in the front last year
- new drum brake assembly a couple of weeks ago
- rear brake lines were replaced last year
- new o2 sensor a couple of months ago
- exhaust manifold gasket and donut gasket replaced recently
- oil changed every 4000 miles
- everything runs well/transmission is very smooth
- very clean interior, JVC stereo and rockford fosgate speakers in the front
- front tires are solid with plenty of tread, rear will need to be replaced probably come winter time

I live in upstate new york so I see cars like mine on craigslist all the time for around $3000-$4000, is that too much to list mine? it's an 18 year old car so I know I can't get that much for it, but I'm using the money I make to purchase my next car, so I want to get a reasonable amount for it
Kelly Bluebook and compare sale prices.

post #3 of 9 Old 04-27-2019, 11:07 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I'd say $2200-2000. I can't say what other people would pay, but I wouldn't go over $2500 max for an 18 year old economy car. You can always start high and come down if needed. There's a sucker born every minute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-27-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
that seems fair, people on craigslist around here always list lower mileage old cars for way more than they're worth, but thought I'd see if I had something worth a little more lol
post #5 of 9 Old 04-28-2019, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I hate to use kelly bluebook because it always seems either too high or way too low, thought I'd get an opinion on it on here, hoping I'd hear a high number lol
post #6 of 9 Old 04-30-2019, 09:45 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Blue Book value is a good starting estimate, but the local market really determines what a vehicle is actually worth, plus of course, the individual who is buying. Something is worth what someone else is willing to pay. Some people are willing to pay more than what a vehicle is actually worth to get the vehicle they want in decent condition.

When it comes to upstate NY, I'd say the value has a lot to do with how much rust it has and how well kept the vehicle was. If it was garage kept and not driven much in snow/salt and so the underside is relatively rust-free or where at least the rocker panels aren't rusting apart and the exhaust is all original and generally rust-free, it's worth way more than a rust bucket that is falling apart, and most vehicles driven in upstate NY, like other winter climates, are rust buckets after a decade or so.

When it comes to the 8th gen in particular, a vehicle that doesn't burn oil and hasn't developed any of the common troubles is worth more since no money has to be dumped into it to fix those particular issues.

The other thing to consider is what else is available at the moment in the local area. If there are several other local Corollas/Prizms on different websites selling for $3,000-$4,000 but they all have way higher mileage and are in worse shape overall, if course you can try to sell yours for more and get someone who's after an older vehicle but with lower mileage and in decent shape.

With only 84,000 miles, it probably is worth ~$4,000 to the right buyer, if it is relatively rust-free and doesn't burn oil or have other issues.

I'd say the main thing that kills the value in the larger market is it being a Prizm and not a Corolla. There might be someone who likes the Prizm styling more or knows it's really a Toyota and doesn't care about the name on the outside, but the general public is largely ignorant of badge engineered vehicles and even mentioning that the vehicle is really a Toyota Corolla just makes those people think you're a scammer.

If nothing else, the general rule of selling most things is, try to sell it for a higher price than what you really want for it, then take the offer when someone asks if you'll sell it for a price that's somewhere in the range of what you really wanted to get for it. That might mean taking closer to $3,000 than $4,000, but that's still way better than $2,000-2,500.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-01-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
great info, thank you! I figured the whole chevy/toyota thing would be a big factor, so I'm planning on including in the post information about how it is essentially a corolla. It's tough because I found a couple of other prizm's (generally same year, mileage, condition, etc.) on craigslist, but unfortunately, two of them look to be spam posts, so it's a bit harder to gauge. I'm planning on posting it closer to the end of May, as I want to save up a bit more money for my next car, but I'll definitely take that advice. It does have some rust underneath, but the body is clean and it runs great. thanks again!
post #8 of 9 Old 05-03-2019, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2372 Post(s)
Supreme Member
It's wears a Chevy badge. FWD Chevy's no matter who makes them depreciate rapidly. Add to that Corolla easily outsold it, then go from there.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-05-2019, 12:02 AM
TN user

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Though similar the prism has a few major differences like the entire AC system, most electrical is acdelco vs denso, the dash and radio positions....

Both have a 1zz-fe but then again so did a celica.

It's hard to sell very old cars you only get what someone has that day.

If any part of this was useful please click the thanks button to let me know it worked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 8th Generation (1998-2002)