01-02 Corolla S Wheel/Airbag/Gauges plug right into 01 LE? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corolla 8th Generation (1998-2002) Specific discussion of the 8th generation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-15-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Smile 01-02 Corolla S Wheel/Airbag/Gauges plug right into 01 LE?

Just picked up a 200k mile 01 LE, and was looking for stuff to freshen up the interior. The steering wheel is disgusting, so I was checking for new ones on ebay. I found the S wheel and it is beautiful.

My concern is the airbag, is it a direct plugin?

I then stumbled upon gauges...

Does my mileage transfer to the new gauges? And I guess they just plug in, it just looks like a red theme vs white theme (mine).

Thanks!!!

Last edited by ThoR294; 05-15-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-15-2019, 11:20 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I couldn't tell you about the plug for the airbag. I'm not sure. But if you replace the current gauge cluster (say 150k miles) with another gauge cluster (120k miles), the mileage that will show will be from the new gauge cluster (120k miles). It won't be accurate to the car.

The best thing for changing the look of your gauges is changing the faces and light color. It's actually pretty easy and cheaper than replacing the whole gauge unit.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-16-2019, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Is the steering wheel 3 spoke or 4 spoke? If it's 3 spoke, then you can source one from the 9th gen Corolla, 1st gen matrix/vibe, and last gen Celica.

Will need the clock spring from the donor to adapt properly if using the Celica.

In the garage,

9th Gen Corolla XRS
2012 Mazda 5

"If it ain't broke yet, it's probably still working like a Swiss time piece; until you open it up and all hell breaks loose"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-16-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topguncam3888 View Post
I couldn't tell you about the plug for the airbag. I'm not sure. But if you replace the current gauge cluster (say 150k miles) with another gauge cluster (120k miles), the mileage that will show will be from the new gauge cluster (120k miles). It won't be accurate to the car.

The best thing for changing the look of your gauges is changing the faces and light color. It's actually pretty easy and cheaper than replacing the whole gauge unit.
I actually found a set of gauges with 5k more miles than my car, so I think I'll just use them!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75aces View Post
Is the steering wheel 3 spoke or 4 spoke? If it's 3 spoke, then you can source one from the 9th gen Corolla, 1st gen matrix/vibe, and last gen Celica.

Will need the clock spring from the donor to adapt properly if using the Celica.
Mine is 4? but the one i want is 3. I found a wheel from an 01 S corolla, but no airbag. I got an airbag from a celica, I believe they are the same.

Do any of you guys know about the 12v outlet near the hand brake? My car is pre-wired for it. Is there a part # or something so I can order one? The coin slot is useless for me and I'd rather have extra power there!
post #5 of 5 Old 05-17-2019, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
For the 12v outlet, you can cut off the quick connect and solder new wires to extend it to the new location or, find another power source near the driver side kick panel junction box.

Just take the outlet from the junkyard and inspect it for burning.

In the garage,

9th Gen Corolla XRS
2012 Mazda 5

"If it ain't broke yet, it's probably still working like a Swiss time piece; until you open it up and all hell breaks loose"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 8th Generation (1998-2002)