Making a Corolla App - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corolla 9th Gen/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ejoa22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-14-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Making a Corolla App

I live and work at a startup creating locators for children too young to own cellphones. As you can see in the photos, the majority of my roommates/co-workers and I own Corollas.

Today, I just happened to finish my work a little early and decided to experiment with some unused cellular development boards that were lying around. Soooo...

I set up one of the dev boards to be able to locate my car from my phone for the hell of it. I thought it would be a cool party trick and a strong measure against carjacking here in Puerto Rico. However, I have to admit, my main motive for this build spawned from jealousy of Tesla's phone app. Here's the setup...

First things first, the screws are a little obvious, but matte black screws should fix that. Secondly, the tracker is running on an internal battery. That means it requires a recharge every 24 hours and frankly having to take apart the windshield cowl just to recharge the battery isn't going to work for me. At the moment, I am working on fixing that by hooking up the board's VIN (voltage in) either directly to the car's battery or to the fuse box. This requires a voltage regulator to take the voltage down from 12V to 5V, otherwise the tracker will be fried. A simple 7805 linear voltage regulator should do the trick. Finally, I want to be able to do more than just track the car...I want to be able to honk the horn, flash the lights, and kill the engine in case the car is stolen.

My plan is to create a simple mobile app that allows me to do all of this from my iPhone. A solenoid type kill switch hooked up to the battery and one of the dev board's pinouts should satisfy the remote kill engine feature. As for the horn and the lights, I am thinking about just hooking them up to the board to be able to bypass the main switches.

Feedback is welcome as I want to make sure I am on the right track.

Also, I'll be sure to post any updates as well as a how-to for anyone who wants reproduce the final results.
John Anthony likes this.

Last edited by ejoa22; 05-14-2019 at 07:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ejoa22 For This Useful Post:
John Anthony (05-14-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-16-2019, 02:58 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dude this is awesome! It's bringing that high end application to the common car. Subbing to thread and if any ideas come up I'll be sure to update.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-16-2019, 07:57 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Personally I think you're a troll....
But it's already been done and available with security alarms that can be installed and controlled by app.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-16-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulAmazing View Post
Dude this is awesome! It's bringing that high end application to the common car. Subbing to thread and if any ideas come up I'll be sure to update.
Hahaha, the common car I appreciate it bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENPUS View Post
Personally I think you're a troll....
But it's already been done and available with security alarms that can be installed and controlled by app.
I was actually considering Drone Mobile, but their $11.99/month plan (which includes GPS tracking) is ridiculous. On top of that their hardware is $199. I'd rather just use a $100 development board on a $2.99/month plan that lets me program and re-program my devices over the air from a console. Plus I can redirect where the data is published to. Looks something like this...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 9th Gen/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)