Update on 2005 Corolla LE rear disc conversion - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corolla 9th Gen/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By H15z
  • 1 Post By BlackGyver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-16-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
USA Update on 2005 Corolla LE rear disc conversion

This is an update on my project to convert my toyota corolla LE Japan model to rear disc. Obtained parts from a 2000 matrix. started left side today. I can tell you that taking old hubs and brake lines off was nothing short of a nightmare! Due to salt and rust here in New England area. Don't watch you tube on rear hub removal isn't that easy! I Started project on left side at 11:00 AM finished at 5:00 PM If you chose to take on this type of project go into it with your eyes wide open it's no picnic.
REN69 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-17-2019, 11:38 AM
Wanna Fix It!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
I'm so glad rust is not an issue where I live. You said you used a 2000 Matrix as the donor car, but I think that's a typo. Did you mean 2003 or another year from 2003 - 2008?

Do let us know how things go with your conversion. I'm sure there are a number folks interested in this. Good luck dealing with the rust!

2004 Corolla LE 375K+ miles.
1987 Toyota Pickup base, 4spd 162K+ miles.
1996 Toyota Camry LE I4 (son's car) 230K+ kilometers.
2010 Toyota Camry LE I4 (mother's car). 162K+ miles.

"There's always free cheese in a mousetrap."
post #3 of 7 Old 06-17-2019, 12:30 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rear disc conversion

If you have any questions let me know I have done this mod twice with successful results.

First on a 2003 Corolla LE

Second on a 2008 Matrix Base.

Here is My advice. If you live in the rust belt you will have to use some sort of anti seize paste to stop the bearing from bonding to the backing plate or the torsion beam.

Only use OEM toyota or GM parts and save yourself some greif.

The parking brake cables have to be replaced: (here's why) the lead stop at the end from the Drum equipped car is too big to hook and fit properly into the disc equipped car's cable fork.

There is no need to replace the proportioning valve as other poster says they are not the same any way. Brakes feel more progressive and you can feel when you mash into the pedal the rear brakes feel like you put down an anchor. (I recommend a tire with a decent speed rating like H or V and some good brake pads like Raybestos E3 EHT pads) The EHT pads take a little longer to break in fully but when they do the progressively hold and are noise free and dust is moderately on the lowside.

When I did the Corolla my cousin found a VIBE GT in a salvage yard that willingly came apart. That swap went without a hitch. They got me the backing plates with the parking brake cables and shoes still attached. at the time i reused the rear hubs from the corolla and bought brand new rotors. since I did not ask for the rotors from the donor car I did not get the little rubber plugs the fit in the rotors. I bought them much later when I found the part number in the meantime I covered the holes with duct tape.

When I did the Matrix it was a nightmare. I bought another used set of rear discs from an XRs this time while it came from a salvage yard in Ranco Cordova, CA I thought I would have an easy time. Well I didn't, I tried separating the hubs from the backing plates and I could not not matter how much I tried. Since I was committed to the project I looked on ebay for the backing plates and found a parts seller in Dubai in all places and parted with $500 for the pair of OEM backing plates. Since all the parts were rusty I ordered a bunch of after market parking brake hardware. And after market caliper bolts. when all the parts came in I got to work assembling my kit . All the after market parts fit like crap.

I am sure you won't have this problem on your corolla since it was built in Japan but on the Matrix while upgrading the brake lines to braided the OEM rubber lines would not let go from the hard lines. This cause me to have to pull out the dremel and cut the brake lines off the hard lines. Then cut the damaged section off the line put on a new fitting and re flare the line. Thank goodness my buddy had a celica half cut at his bodyshop that had the right size fittings and he also had a really small line cutter (GOD bless his soul)

So if you are going to do it make sure the part come from a good donor car and use Every thing. One other thing to make sure you have is two even length parking brake cables.

A hack saw or a sawsall comes in handy for removing the extra bracket for the brake hose that goes to the drums.

I used stainless Braided brake lines were meant for the celica made by stoptech for the swap.

Last edited by BlackGyver; 06-17-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-17-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I got finished with the right side in half the time hub was not rusted near as bad. i ask the the yard where i bought the parts he said 2000 matrix i said are you sure it will fit he said absolutely which it did. because these parts were bought from a yard online i didn't see the donor, maybe the guy is wrong.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-17-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I used the stock proportioning valve with no bad effects. The donor car parts were in excellent shape. Finished the car and drove it. The car stops smooth no grabbing. No noticeable pedal change. So what do I call my Toyota Corolla LE, Do I call it a Corolla LEXR LOL! You Blackgyver gave very good advice.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-17-2019, 07:23 PM
Wanna Fix It!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by H15z View Post
I used the stock proportioning valve with no bad effects. Finished the car and drove it. The car stops smooth no grabbing. No noticeable pedal change. So what do I call my Toyota Corolla LE, Do I call it a Corolla LEXR LOL!
Glad to know the mod job is done and all is working well on your Corolla LEXR. I think you've just invented a new Trim package!

The Matrix did not exist before the 2003 model year, btw.

2004 Corolla LE 375K+ miles.
1987 Toyota Pickup base, 4spd 162K+ miles.
1996 Toyota Camry LE I4 (son's car) 230K+ kilometers.
2010 Toyota Camry LE I4 (mother's car). 162K+ miles.

"There's always free cheese in a mousetrap."
post #7 of 7 Old 06-19-2019, 02:49 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOL at the LEXR,

I would say you have an XLE now.

that is what I call the corolla now that it has rear disc brakes and a DK Schweitzer Leather upholstery kit in it.
John Anthony likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 9th Gen/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)