Need HELP! with some maintenance 04 corolla - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corolla 9th Gen/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By 75aces
  • 1 Post By John Anthony
  • 2 Post By John Anthony

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-12-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Need HELP! with some maintenance 04 corolla

so basically i want to start doing my own car maintenance since i have this weekend off i want to dedicate Saturday on getting these things checked off my list and before i start i just wanted to start a thread to see if any of y'all could help me out. a little background info on my 2004 corolla LE, it has 198,000 miles. me and a friend of mine made a list of things i might need to do or change. but i need help choosing the right brand with best quality while also saving the most money. Links to these things needed will be appreciated! Once i've posted this ill also be researching and getting the exact prices and after ill check tomorrow morning to see your guys recommendations! id appreciate the help.

recommendations for new Spark plugs (4),Fuel filter,Air filter,Transmission filter gasket kit.

Transmission fluid one case

recommendations for new Oil filter

what's a good brand of 5 quarts of 10w40 is recommended?

a new good brake cleaner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-12-2019, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Welcome to TN! Start with this link. This was created by hardtopte72 and other members with parts that work well and wealth of information.

https://www.toyotanation.com/#/topics/429745

DIY Guides

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1.../topics/299896
John Anthony likes this.

In the garage,

9th Gen Corolla XRS
2012 Mazda 5

"If it ain't broke yet, it's probably still working like a Swiss time piece; until you open it up and all hell breaks loose"
post #3 of 6 Old 07-13-2019, 12:46 PM
Wanna Fix It!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Spark plugs: Denso or NGK

Denso: SK16R11 ( 3324 ) good for 120K miles or IK16TT good for 100K miles.
NGK: IFR5211 good for 120K miles

Fuel Filter: You don't normally need to mess with the "fuel filter" (it's in the tank and is more of a "sock" screen) unless the car has sat disabled for a few years. I have 375K miles any have never messed with it.

Air filter: Toyota or Denso three stage engine air filter:

Toyota: 17801-YZZ03
Denso: 143-3002

Cabin air filter:
Toyota: 88568-02020
Denso: 453-2039

Transmission filter gasket kit: I've had no issues with Wix. The trans filter screen only needs to be replaced every once in a while. Every 100K miles (or even longer) is fine as long as the fluid is changed regularly.
Wix 58040

Transmission fluid: Any Toyota T-IV spec'd fluid. Valvoline MaxLife synthetic ATF is very popular on this forum. I flushed with that (low pressure flush) and it resolved a problem I had with the transmission not fully engaging in reverse for a number of seconds. Some say that Toyota WS spec'd fluid is backwards compatible to T-IV spec'd transmissions (not the other way around, though). Don't use a high-pressure flush. Just use the transmission's own pump to flush the fluid.

Brake cleaner: WalMart brake cleaner is the cheapest I've seen. It works fine and it really doesn't matter. Any brake cleaner will work.

Radiator coolant: Use a P-HOAT (Phosphated Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) coolant. The brand doesn't matter. Cheapest I've seen is at Pep Boys. If you use concentrate, mix only with distilled or deionized water.

Oil filter: This is a very controversial subject and can lead to endless and tiresome arguments about what filter is "better/best". Just use a "good" filter and have frequent changes and you'll be fine. I like the Royal Purple 20-400 filter (oversized), but it doesn't matter that much. Some others: Wix 51516, Mobil 1 M1-103A, Amsoil Ea034, Fram ULTRA XG3600 (all of these are oversized).

Oil: Even worse of an endless argument and controversy than filters. Just use a reputable brand. If it's non-synthetic just change it very frequently. There are people who have used cheap WalMart Super Tech conventional oil and have gone 400K miles or more with no problems (with regular oil/filter changes). I use Amsoil Sig Series 5w/30, but most reputable brands are perfectly fine and it's nothing to argue or worry about. Pennzoil Ultra Patinum 5w/30 has a great quality/price ratio in the 5 quart jug ordered from WalMart.

Motor oil drain plug gasket/washer: Toyota: 90430-12031 (try to get the blue gasket, not the black one)
It's oriented a certain way:

kevcules46 likes this.

2004 Corolla LE 375K+ miles.
1987 Toyota Pickup base, 4spd 162K+ miles.
1996 Toyota Camry LE I4 (son's car) 230K+ kilometers.
2010 Toyota Camry LE I4 (mother's car). 162K+ miles.

"There's always free cheese in a mousetrap."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-13-2019, 08:15 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Very well said by John Anthony above.....

In a nut shell, here's my .002.....

Use OEM iridium spark plugs , Denso or NGK. They last for 120,000 miles.(check rock auto for good prices)

I use the Rav4 OEM oil filter for my Corolla. It is a taller filler than what's called for on the Corolla ,but it's the same diameter. It holds more volume, therefore more filtering media, same price.
I tend to use a more cheaper air and cabin air filter and never had any issues. I've used the K&N filter also for years with the same result. If you drive in really dusty areas, consider a better filter and change it often or fuel mileage will suffer.
I use Mobil 1 oil. Fairly cheap and seems to do the trick....
I would start using Seafoam as a fuel conditioner and cleaner every 4 months or so. I also use Marvel Mystery Oil at the same intervals to lubricate the fuel components. Once you start using the Marvel oil, you should hear your fuel pump noise lessen when it comes on and as it primes the system to it's pressure set point.

Transmission fluid is still pretty cheap at the dealer and Valvoline is a good alternative. I use Amsoil synthetic fluid and don't worry about the change intervals too much. I also mainly do a drain and refill because we're supposed to have a lifetime strainer and not a filter.. Pick your own poison...
Clean or replace your PCV valve also. This can cause excess pressure and pop seals if not breathing properly. Very cheap to buy, easy to change.
Clean your MAF sensor as well. It's in the air way to your intake.Don't use any cleaner , get a can or MAF cleaner if you can.
Rock auto is hard to beat for good quality options and good prices...

Good luck....

2006 Corolla
2008 Limited Rav4 I4
2017 Camry

Kevin
post #5 of 6 Old 07-13-2019, 09:20 PM
Wanna Fix It!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcules46 View Post
Clean or replace your PCV valve also. This can cause excess pressure and pop seals if not breathing properly. Very cheap to buy, easy to change.
Clean your MAF sensor as well. It's in the air way to your intake.Don't use any cleaner , get a can or MAF cleaner if you can.
Duh, I forgot about the PCV. I suggest Toyota brand only: There are two different sizes for the PCV and the dealer won't know which is for your car. One of them has pink loctite on the threads. The other has a blue/green loctite on the threads. The threads are different sizes so if you get the wrong one you will possibly damage the threads on the engine. Best to get the part number off of your PCV (you might have to remove it from the car in order to see the number) and give that to your Toyota parts counter guy.

When you clean the MAF, there is a plain to see wire/bulb. That is actually the air intake temp sensor. Give it a quick shot of spray cleaner. The actually wire sensor for the MAF is encased inside the plastic tube that protrudes into the air intake. You'll need to spray in there pretty well.
Cressidaadr and kevcules46 like this.

2004 Corolla LE 375K+ miles.
1987 Toyota Pickup base, 4spd 162K+ miles.
1996 Toyota Camry LE I4 (son's car) 230K+ kilometers.
2010 Toyota Camry LE I4 (mother's car). 162K+ miles.

"There's always free cheese in a mousetrap."
post #6 of 6 Old 07-14-2019, 04:05 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Fuel filter replacement not required unless you have identified issues with it.

Three other things which you may consider are -

1) Power steering flush
2) brake caliper slide pin lube
3) brake fluid flush

Trust me the transmission flush and the power steering flush will really make a big difference in how the car feels.

2004 Corolla LE 150K miles
2013 TCH LE 60K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 9th Gen/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)