Official Ultimate 2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe Maintenance Thread!!! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corolla 9th Gen/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008) 9th generation Corolla and 1st generation Matrix discussion.

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 221 Old 11-29-2012, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Toyota Fanatic

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2077 Post(s)
Thanked 4,418 Times in 3,149 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Official Ultimate 2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe Maintenance Thread!!!

Ok everyone after much procrastinating I am going to make a compiled list of maintenance parts for the 9th Gen Corolla and 1st Gen Matrix/Pontiac Vibe. A lot of these items will also benefit owners of 8th Gen Corolla, 7th Gen Celicas, and maybe even other owners.

Here is a link to the Toyota maintenance guide posted by forum member EXAGE. It contains the Toyota maintenance guide. Be aware that some items not recommended by Toyota are recommended by myself and other members are good preventative maintenance. Those are now listed in my recommendations thread below.

Toyota Maintenance Guide

9th Gen Toyota Corolla Maintenance Guide

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/13...ns-thread.html

Here goes nothing!

Oil Filters:

Note: When doing an oil change, it is HIGHLY ADVISABLE to replace the oil pan drain plug gasket/crush washer. These can be purchased from Toyota, eBay, or Amazon from around 50 cents to 1 dollar each. I buy mine in packs of 10 for $5.50 shipped on eBay.

Part number: 90430-12031

Oil filters are an important part of the overall maintenance of your car. All filters are not created equal and filtering is not a job for the cheap. There are several acceptable oil filters available for the 2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe. I will describe most of them below and cite whatever references I can. I will also add that I highly recommend using V6 Filters on both the 1ZZFE and 2ZZGE engines, for their increased capacity.

Oil filter terms:
OCI- oil change interval
ADBV- anti-drainback valve

Purolator: Purolator makes three different oil filters in their self named line. A standard "Premium Protection" filter, higher quality "Advanced Protection" filter, and synthetic oil "Maximum Protection" filter.

Purolator: Is the lower line filter. It is advertised with a 96.5 efficiency rating at 20 microns, 13g of "dirt holding" capacity and 5,000 mile oil change interval. It uses a rubber ADBV and paper/fiber media.

1ZZFE: L14476
2ZZGE: L14477
Larger V6/V8 Toyota: L10241
V6/V8 Toyota Upsize: L20195

PurolatorOne: Is the next in line filter. It is advertised with a 99% efficiency rating at 20 microns, 15g of "dirt holding" capacity and 10,000 mile oil change interval. It uses a silicone ADBV and paper/synthetic blend media.

1ZZFE: PL14476
2ZZGE: PL14477
Large V6/V8 Toyota: PL10241
V6/V8 Toyota Upsize: PL20195

Purolator Boss: Is the top of the line filter. It is advertised with a 99+ % efficiency rating at 20 microns, 27g of "dirt holding" capacity and 15,000 mile oil change interval with synthetic oils. It uses a silicone ADBV and a full synthetic media.

1ZZFE: PBL14476
2ZZGE: PBL14477
Large V6/V8 Toyota: PBL10241
V6/V8 Toyota Upsize: PBL20195

Bosch: These filters are made by Purolator ever since their merger. Two filters are offered in line with Purolator.

Bosch Premium: In line with a Purolator. Nearly identical in every way.

1ZZFE: 3311
2ZZGE: 3325
Larger V6/V8 Toyota: 3330
V6/V8 Toyota Upsize: 3422

Bosch DistancePlus: This filter is basically a PurolatorOne with a larger case and filter area to hold more particles. It is rated 99% at 20 microns. This filter has been shown to be good to a 15K mile OCI.

1ZZFE: D3311
2ZZGE: D3325
Larger V6/V8: D3330
V6/V8 Toyota Upsize: D3422

Wix: Wix makes a very high quality line of filters. They also make the Napa brand filter.

Wix: High quality construct, silicone ADBV, and a tough case make this a good filter. 99% at 25 microns efficiency.

1ZZFE: 51394
2ZZGE: 57145 or 51396
Large V6/V8 Toyota: 51348
V6/V8 Toyota Upsize: 51516

Napa: All but recent Pro-Select are Wix made filters that expand on the line. Available in Pro-Select, Silver, and Gold (I don't see a Platinum listing). Which denote their place in the line. Pro-select is the low line, gold has top level features (more pleats, better filtering, etc.).

Pro-Select: This is a low line filter which recently appears to made on a contract basis (still likely Wix/Affinia). These use a controversial combo valve ADBV.

1ZZFE: SFI 21394
2ZZGE: SFI 27145
Large V6/V8 Toyota: SFI 21348
V6/V8 Toyota Upsize: SFI 21516

Silver: This is the mid level Wix made filter. Great filter for the money. Comparable to a Purolator Classic.

1ZZFE: SFL 31394
2ZZGE: SFL 37145
Large V6/V8 Toyota: FIL 31348
V6/V8 Toyota Upsize: SFL 31516

Nascar Select: This is their supposedly soon to be discontinued specialty line of filters. Features a unique "Spin-Flow" technology and a synthetic media. Claims to have some of the highest single pass efficiency in the industry.

From Napa "In traditional oil filters, unfiltered oil is forced under pressure through holes in the filter base plate directly to the top of the canister, creating turbulence in the filter. This constant turbulence concentrates the filtration of the dirty oil at one end of the filter media, resulting in only about 60 percent of the filter media doing the majority of the work.

The Spin-Flow technology, developed by Wix Filtration and used exclusively by NAPA for automotive applications, uses a ring of angled fins to force the dirty oil to flow in a circular motion around the filter media. This process evens out the flow of the dirty oil and virtually eliminates turbulence, thus using the entire filter media and maximizing the capacity and efficiency of the filter." "In addition to Spin-Flow technology, the NASCAR Select filter also features a newly designed filter media, combining cellulose with synthetic fibers. This new media, called T-52, was also developed by Wix Filtration for NAPA automotive use. T-52 greatly increases the filter's "Single-Pass Efficiency," which is a measure of how much of the oil's contaminates are removed in a single trip through the filter. NASCAR Select has one of the highest Single-Pass Efficiency ratings in the industry. "

1ZZFE: NFI 91394
2ZZGE: NFI 91396
Larger V6/V8 Toyota: NFI 91348

Gold: This is a top level filter. All the features you expect from a top level filter.

1ZZFE: FIL 1394
2ZZGE: FIL 7145
Large V6/V8 Toyota: FIL 1348
V6/V8 Toyota Upsize: FIL 1516

Platinum: This is their top of the line oil filter. This filter is specified specifically to be used with synthetic oil for extended drain intervals 10,000 miles or above. Tons of capacity at the expense of filtering ability.

1ZZFE: PFL 41394
2ZZGE: PFL 47145
Large V6/V8 Toyota: PFL 41348
V6/V8 Toyota Upsize: PFL 41516

Wix XP: Some say this is the same as the Napa Platinum. Some also say the data shows this filter has a terrible efficiency rating at 20 microns (50%). Regardless, Wix considers it their premium filter. It uses a wire backed synthetic media and is recommended for longer drain intervals on synthetic oil.

1ZZFE: 51394XP
2ZZGE: 57145XP
Large V6/V8 Toyota: 51348XP
V6/V8 Toyota Upsize: 51516XP

Mobil 1 and K&N: Great filters at a hefty price. These are 20 micron 99% filters made by Champion Labs. They feature all of the top of the line features you would expect from only the best. The K&N features a welded nut to aid in removal.

Mobil 1 Part Numbers:

1ZZFE: M1-103
2ZZGE: M1-103
Large V6/V8 Toyota: M1-209

K&N Part Numbers:

1ZZFE: HP-1003
2ZZGE: HP-1003
Large V6/V8 Toyota: HP-1002
V6/V8 Toyota Upsize: HP-2009

Denso: Denso makes the OEM Oil filter for these cars. It is made in several places. In spin-on form this is one of the most peculiar designed oil filters available. It features no end caps, rubber ADBV, and generally poor construction similar to a OCOD fram, though tests have shown them very reliable and generally having a filter media with a larger surface area than the competition..

Available in three to four sizes depending on whether buying from Toyota or Denso directly.

1ZZFE: 90915-YZZF2/150-1000
2ZZGE: 90915-YZZF1/150-1001
Large V6/V8 Toyota: 90915-YZZG1/90915-YZZD1(older version)/150-2002 (V6) or 90915-YZZD3/150-1003 (V8)

Fram: I will refer only to the high quality Fram Extended Guard and the Fram Ultra line of filters. The others use cardboard end caps and are generally poorly constructed. Cheap is their only good quality.

Ultra: The Ultra is a very high quality and very robust filter right near the top of the high quality pack. It is designed for a 15K OCI, it's rated efficiency is 99% at 20 microns efficiency rating, and it features an awesome looking metal supported dual synthetic layer media. This new Fram Ultra filter appears to be the best filter ever made by Fram and right at the top level of oil filters. There really isn't a filter available that offers more. This is the filter I use on all of my vehicles.

1ZZFE: XG4368
2ZZGE: XG4967
Large V6/V8 Toyota: XG3614
V6/V8 Toyota Upsize: XG3600

Those are the bulk of it. Most other oil filters are made by the above listed companies under other names (Motorcraft is Purolator, A/C Delco is a lower level Champion Labs, Carquest made by Wix).

Spark Plugs:

Spark plugs on these engines are recommended every 120K if using OEM equivalent plugs. These are dual precious metal plugs and are rated for longer life than the power plugs. I prefer Denso plugs as they are what came with the car. I have installed NGK on several cars and had no issues. These engines came with Iridium plugs so I will discuss these plugs only.

Plug gap for a Corolla is .044 when using Iridium or Iridium "Power" and .040 if using Iridium Twin Tip, but the general consensus is you don't gap Iridium Plugs as they come pregapped.

NGK: NGK offers 2 types of Iridium plugs. An OEM long life Laser Iridium and a power plug called the Iridium IX.

NGK Laser Iridium: From NGK "Laser Iridium® spark plugs provide superior ignitability and long service life. Smallest tip diameter available Iridium / Platinum surfaces ensure slow wear rate providing stable idle, superior anti fouling, improved fuel efficiency and lower emissions". I used these on my BIL's Honda pilot because it came with them. Great plugs. The "A" plugs and "T" plugs are the same plugs, with the "A" being dealer only.

1ZZFE: PN: IFR5A11/IFR5T11. SN: 4996
2ZZGE: PN: IFR6A11/IFR6T11. SN: 4589

NGK Iridium IX: From NGK "Designed specifically for the performance enthusiast. Iridium IX® offers extreme ignitability, improved throttle response and superior anti fouling". Used them on my neighbors Corolla. Very nice plugs and slightly better priced than the Lasers. According to NGK, these are around a 40-50K mile plug.

1ZZFE: PN: BKR5EIX-11 SN: 5464
2ZZGE: PN: BKR6EIX-11 SN: 3764

Denso: Denso offers three types of plugs. OEM Long life Denso Iridium Long Life, Iridium Twin Tip (Iridium TT), and the power plug Denso Iridium Power. These are nearly identical to the NGK plugs in price, quality, and construction.

Denso Iridium Long Life: From Denso "Using the same laser welding process as the Iridium Power spark plug, Denso designed a long life spark plug factory installed on luxury vehicles by automakers such as GM, Toyota, Honda and Mitsubishi. Using its patented Iridium alloy, Denso was able to shrink the center electrode to 0.7mm, dramatically improving ignitability and longevity." I have these in my Corolla. These are the OEM plugs.

1ZZFE: PN: SK16R11. SN:3324
2ZZGE: PN: SK20R11. SN: 3297

Denso Iridium Twin Tip: From Denso "The Iridium TT Twin Tip Technology delivers far less obstruction to the spark allowing an omni-directional explosion. This minimizes the quenching effect and results in a more effective, more complete combustion. Better combustion means more power and better fuel economy, as fuel is burned more efficiently with each piston firing. The large center and ground electrodes seen on a Standard Plug increases “quenching” of the explosion, meaning the spark explosion is restricted by the electrodes above and below the gap, allowing it to spread to either side, but not grow with full range." These plugs are OEM in most newer Toyota engines. They are rated for 100K miles

1ZZFE: SN: 4701
2ZZGE: SN: 4702

Denso Iridium Power: Likely the same as NGK. Lower life but more performance. From Denso "This high-performance spark plug has the world’s smallest iridium center electrode that is a mere 0.4mm in diameter. The tip of the ground electrode is taper cut which reduces quenching and improves firing performance. This combination of DENSO technology provides improved horsepower, acceleration and fuel economy." Lexus owners have great reviews with these. According to Denso, these are a 30K mile plug.

1ZZFE: PN: IK16. SN:5303
2ZZGE: PN: IK20. SN: 5304

Bosch: I have only read one person having a positive review for these. Use at your own risk.

Bosch Iridium: From Bosch "You don’t have to choose between high performance and long life in your iridium spark plug. Bosch Iridium is engineered to deliver both. The ultra fine wire design and laser welded tapered ground electrode deliver optimum performance, while the iridium center electrode and platinum ground electrode help it to go the distance."

1ZZFE: 9600
2ZZGE: 9603

Autolite: No reviews on these. I wouldn't use them but they are here for your review.

Autolite Xtreme Performance Iridium: From Autolite "XP Xtreme Performance Spark Plugs are one of the brand's most technologically advanced spark plugs ever. With an iridium-enhanced .6 mm finewire design and patented platinum sidewire technology, these spark plugs provide better overall durability and a more focused ignition for better overall ignitability and optimum performance."

1ZZFE: XP3924
2ZZGE: XP3923

Champion: Same as Autolite:

Champion Iridium: From Champion "Champion Iridium: Champion Iridium spark plugs offer maximum performance regardless of engine or ignition type. Each plug has an extremely fine-wire iridium center electrode that is "laser-locked" to the center electrode, and a platinum V-trimmed ground electrode to ensure the longest life and greatest erosion resistance. Champion iridium plugs come with our exclusive Heat-Active™ alloy to reach operating temperatures quickly and maintain stable operating temperatures under varying engine loads. Champion iridium plugs deliver a consistently focused spark that provides the greatest engine performance regardless of engine type or ignition system. "

1ZZFE: 9202
2ZZGE: 9806

Air Filters:

Air filters are shown to be directly responsible for oil condition. There are a few available here as well. I will only discuss the OEM filter as I am a firm believer that cold air intakes are detrimental to filtering as most cone filters available filter worse than factory (and therefore flow more).

Denso: This is by far the best quality filter available. Featuring a 3 layer element to filter small, medium, and large particles and a perfect fit this filter is the best of the bunch. Available from Toyota as 17801-0D010/0D020. Beck Arnley 0421647 may be the same filter.

The rest of the filters either are of worse quality or mimic the Denso without the 3 layer filtering.

Purolator: No PureOne is available. A25463

K&N: 33-2252

Wix: 46834

Fram: CA9482

Cabin Filters:

Many available here. Some are charcoal impregnated to reduce odors.

2003-2008 Corolla/Matrix

Denso (Electrostatically Charged): Toyota - 88568-02020 or Aftermarket - 4532039

AC Delco: Standard - CF157 or Electrostatically Charged - CF3157

Beck Arnley: 042-2025

Mahle/Clevite: LA157

Mann: MC1013

Fram: Charcoal Impregnated - CF10133

TYC: 800006P

Wix: 24873

Hastings Filter: AFC1205

ATP: Standard - CF46 or Charcoal Impregnated - RA5

Pentius: PHB5491

Pronto: PC5491

2003-2008 Pontiac Vibe

Denso (Electrostatically Charged): Toyota - 87139-YZZ09/88508-01010 or Aftermarket - 4536058

AC Delco: Standard - CF134 or Electrostatically Charged - GM - 88970273 or Aftermarket - CF3134

Beck Arnley: 042-2074

Mahle/Clevite: LA765

Fram: Charcoal Impregnated - CF10374

TYC: 800038P

Wix: 24871

Hastings Filter: AFC1164

ATP: Standard - CF31 or Charcoal Impregnated - GA10

Pentius: PHB5644

Pronto: PC5644

Engine Oil:

The life blood of the engine. Synthetic oil is recommended for better wear protection, extended intervals, fuel economy, and startability. The decision of what kind of oil you run can make the difference between an oil burner, 200K miles, or your fuel economy. Not all oils are created equal. Running synthetic oil and changing at 3K is a waste of money. These oils are proven to go up to 15K miles between oil changes!

Take a look at these links before you decide what weight of oil to use.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/
http://www.zddplus.com/TechBrief13%2...0Viscosity.pdf
http://www.lubricheck.com/demo/home/resources

Mobil 1: Oils are of excellent quality. TGMO (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil) is Mobil 1 oil with a special formulation. I will describe the synthetic lines.

Mobil 1 is grouped into 6 basic types of synthetic. Mobil 1 Annual Protection, Mobil 1, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy, Mobil 1 High Mileage, and Mobil 1 Emission System Protection.

The Mobil 1 oil is has shown to be a high quality oil for all engines. It is available from 0W40, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30, and 15W50.

Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy: Is a great oil as well shown to be superior in quality to the Mobil 1 on a few occasions. It is available only a 0W20 or 0W30. This oil has all the benefits of the 5W20 or 5W30 oil respectively but offers cold weather operation and reduces cold start wear. This is the oil I used to run in all of my cars.

Mobil 1 Annual Protection: A higher end oil from Mobil 1. It is designed to be used for extended drains of up to 20K miles or 1 year. Available in 0W20, 5W20, and 5W30.

Mobil 1 Emission System Performance: A newer oil which is specifically engineered for modern diesel and gasoline engines with emission systems components like modern diesel particulate filters and catalytic converters in mind. Available in 0W30 and 5W30.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance: A higher end oil from Mobil 1. It is designed to be used for extended drains of up to 15K miles. Available in 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, and 10W30.

Mobil 1 High Mileage: For use in vehicles with over 75K miles. Has more seal conditioners, anti-wear additives, and detergents than other Mobil 1 oils. Available as a 5W30, 10W30, and 10W40.

Product data sheets:
M1 AFE 0W20: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...l_Economy.aspx
M1 AFE 0W30: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...l_Economy.aspx
M1 AP 0W20, 5W20, 5W30: https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Pas...ual-Protection
M1 0W40: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...l_1_0W-40.aspx
M1 5W20: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...l_1_5W-20.aspx
M1 5W30: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...il1_5W-30.aspx
M1 10W30: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub..._1_10W-30.aspx
M1 15W50: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...l1_15W-50.aspx
M1 ESP 0W30: http://www.mobil.com/english-US/Pass...-1-ESP-X1-0W30
M1 ESP 5W30: http://www.mobil.com/english-US/Pass...P-Formula-5W30
M1 EP 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...rformance.aspx
M1 HM 5w30: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...leage_Oil.aspx
M1 HM 10W30: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...leage_Oil.aspx
M1 HM 10W40: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...leage_Oil.aspx

Pennzoil Platinum: Pennzoil's line of synthetic motor oil. The newest formulations are made from compressed natural gas, and are some of the cleanest oils available today. These oils, like many others, are made by SOPUS.

Pennzoil Platinum is now grouped into 3 basic types of synthetic oils: Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage, and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum: Even better than Pennzoil Platinum. Claims to be 25% cleaner than Mobil 1, 35% cleaner than Valvoline SynPower, and 40% Cleaner than Castrol Edge with Syntec. Available in 0W-20, 0W40, 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30.

Pennzoil Platinum: It is dubbed as one of the cleanest oils claiming to be 8% cleaner than Mobil 1, 17% Cleaner than Valvoline, and 20% Cleaner than Castrol. This is supposed to be a great oil for cleaning out your engine of varnish.

This oil comes in 4 basic sub-types: US, Euro, Euro Diesel, and Racing. The Euro diesel is specifically engineered for European diesel engines and includes:

Euro L: For gasoline engines or DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) equipped diesel engines. Is ACEA C3 and Dexos approved.
Euro LX: Thinner variant of the Euro L that is ACEA C2/C3 approved.
Euro AV: Specifically engineered for high performance and TDI diesel engines. It has surpassed the requirements for VW and Peugot in house testing.

US is available in 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30.
Euro is available in 0W30, 5W30, and 5W40
Euro L is available in 5W30
Euro LX is available in 0W30
Euro AV is available in 5W30
Racing is available in 10W60

Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage: For use in vehicles with over 75K miles. Has more seal conditioners, anti-wear additives, and detergents than other Pennzoil Platinum oils. This has become the go to oil for my fleet. Available in 5W20 and 5W30.

Product data sheets:

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W20: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc...inum-0W-20.pdf
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc...inum-0W-40.pdf
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc...inum-5W-20.pdf
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc...inum-5W-30.pdf
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10W30: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc...num-10W-30.pdf

Pennzoil Platinum US 0W20: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc...-Motor-Oil.pdf
Pennzoil Platinum US 5W20: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc...-Motor-Oil.pdf
Pennzoil Platinum US 5W30: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc...-Motor-Oil.pdf
Pennzoil Platinum US 10W30: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc...-Motor-Oil.pdf
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W40: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc..._Motor_Oil.pdf
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W30: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc...Euro_5W-30.pdf
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc..._Motor_Oil.pdf
Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc..._Motor_Oil.pdf
Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W30: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc..._Motor_Oil.pdf
Pennzoil Platinum Euro AV 5W30: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc...-SAE-5W-30.pdf
Pennzoil Platinum Racing 10W60: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc...ing-10W-60.pdf

Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W20: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc...-Motor-Oil.pdf
Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W30: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc...-Motor-Oil.pdf

Quaker State: Another high quality oil made by SOPUS. I have run this numerous times with great results.

Ultimate Durability: Some say this stuff is the same as the older Pennzoil Platinum in certain grades, while some say it's slightly different with a slight edge for the Platinum. The oil is marketed as highly durable with superior anti-wear properties. Available in the same grades as Pennzoil Platinum 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30, and 5W50.

Product Data Sheet: http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC...1007020129.pdf

Valvoline: Another highly touted oil. Valvoline Synthetics are now grouped into two basic types of synthetic oils: Valvoline Syn Power and Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage with Maxlife Technology.

Syn-Power: The oil is marketed as highly durable with superior anti-sludge and deposit properties. Available in 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, 5W40, 10W30, and 20W50

Product Data Sheet: http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf

Full Synthetic High Mileage with Maxlife Technology: Valvoline's newest synthetic oil. It is marketed as highly durable with superior anti-wear properties, claiming to provide 40% more anti-wear film than Mobil 1. Available in 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, and 10W30.

Product Data Sheet: http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/val...technology.pdf

Castrol: Some say this a synthetic blend while some say its full synthetic. Nonetheless a very popular oil.

Edge with Syntec: Available in 0W20, 0W30, 5W20, 5W30, 5W40, 5W50, 10W30, and 10W40.

Product Data Sheet here: http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp..._Sept_2011.pdf

Amsoil: Touted often as the absolute best and only oil that should be used. This oil is high quality from my research but the price, distribution network, and only me attitude make it an outcast.

Amsoil Signature Series: Available in 0W20, 0W30, 5W20, 5W30, and 10W30.

Product data sheets:

0W20: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asm.aspx
0W30: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/azo.aspx
5W20: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/alm.aspx
5W30: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asl.aspx
10W30: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atm.aspx

Royal Purple: Yet another high quality synthetic oil. Available more places than Amsoil, this oil has a loyal following of hard core enthusiasts.

HPS: Available in 0W-20, 0W-40, 5W-20, 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-40 and 20W-50.

Product explanation sheet: http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/w...I_MotorOIl.pdf

Antifreeze/Coolant:

Coolant brings about more arguments than any fluid except maybe motor oil. The only real requirement is that the coolant be a P-HOAT (Phosphated Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) coolant that does not contain 2EHA (Dexcool or Dexclones), silicates, amines, or borates. I am an avid user of Toyota Pink and Zerex Asian Vehicle coolant. Other highly recommended coolants include Toyota Red Concentrate, Honda Type 2 (Honda Blue), Pentofrost A1 (Red), Pentofrost A2 (Green), Pentofrost A3 (Blue), Pentofrost A4 (Pink), Beck/Arnley Premium Extended Life Pink, Beck/Arnley Premium OE Extended Life Blue, Beck/Arnley Premium OE Red Concentrate, Beck/Arnley Premium OE Green Concentrate, Reochem OEM Premium Extended Life Red, Reochem OEM Premium Extended Life Pink, Reochem OEM Premium Extended Life Blue, and many other OEM coolants. Replace every 60-80K.

Note: With Pentofrost and Beck/Arnley, the only real differences between each of their individual coolants is the color, as the specs are identical between them.

Here are some data sheets/MSDS sheets:

Toyota/Aisin: Toyota and Aisin coolants are exactly the same product.

Super Long Life Coolant (Pink) - http://www.worldpac.com/tagged/Antif...00272SLLC2.pdf
Long Life Coolant (Red) - http://www.worldpac.com/tagged/Antif...002721LLAC.pdf

Aisin Super Long Life Pink - http://aisinaftermarket.com/uploads/..._BENEFITS_.pdf

Honda:

Type 2 (Honda Blue) - http://www.worldpac.com/tagged/Coolant_-_Honda.pdf

Zerex:

Asian Vehicle Formula - http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/zerex_asian_vehicle.pdf

Pentosin Pentofrost:

A1 (Red) - http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/P...st_spec_A1.pdf
A2 (Green) - http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/P...st_spec_A2.pdf
A3 (Blue) - http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/A...20A3_Aug13.pdf
A4 (Pink) - http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/A...20A4_Aug13.pdf

Beck/Arnley:

Extended Life Blue and Extended Life Pink - http://customerportal.fmpco.com/fmpn...%20Coolant.pdf
Red Concentrate - http://www.maxmarketing.com/beckarnl...heet%20NEW.pdf
Green Concentrate - http://www.maxmarketing.com/beckarnl...Data_Sheet.pdf

Reochem OEM Premium:

Extended Life Red - http://www.recochem.com/us/media/upl...-374ROEM_R.pdf
Extended Life Pink - http://www.recochem.com/us/media/upl...86-174POEM.pdf
Extended Life Blue - http://www.recochem.com/us/media/upl...-174BOEM_B.pdf
Extended Life Green - http://www.recochem.com/us/media/upl...6-374GROEM.pdf

Transmission Fluid for A/T:

Another hot topic. I like Valvoline Maxlife the most for both T-IV and WS applications.

Toyota/Lexus Type T-IV: This fluid is made by Mobil and is called several names. It is sold as Mobil JWS3309, Audi/Volkswagon G-055-025-A2, Ford WSS-M2C924-A, GM GM9986195, Saab 3309. This is a synthetic blend fluid and should be replaced every 30K miles by drain and fill.

Product data sheet: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub..._ATF_3309.aspx

Castrol:

Castrol TransMax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF: Meets the JASO-1A requirements for Toyota Type T-IV. Fully synthetic fluid which is likely a response to Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc as a low viscosity modern ATF. It likely also works for WS but doesn't directly say so (says recommended for all Toyota transmissions).

Product Data sheet: http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fu...PXE-99LBRT.pdf

Castrol Import TransMax Multi-Vehicle: Specifically made for import vehicles it meets the JASO-1A requirements for Toyota Type T-IV. Also a synthetic blend. Replace it every 30K.

Product Data sheet: http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fu...20MV%20PDS.pdf

Castrol TransMax High Mileage Multi-Vehicle ATF: Meets the JASO-1A requirements for Toyota Type T-IV. A high mileage fluid that claims to have additional seal conditioners and cleaning agents for higher mileage transmissions. Likely a synthetic blend.

Product Data sheet: http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fu...20PDS%20Am.pdf

Valvoline:

Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc: Fully synthetic, highly recommended and highly rated. This ATF is recommended even in WS transmissions and is my go to fluid for any Toyota transmission service.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle ATF: Now similar in formulation to Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF with around a 1 cSt lower viscosity (6.9 vs 8). Fully synthetic fluid still and likely a good alternative to the Castrol Import which is more easily found in quart bottles. This fluid is sold at lots of places in the 1 gallon bottles. Highly recommended. This fluid is no longer WS compatible, unless it specifically says so on the back of the bottle due to a formulation change.

Product Data Sheet: http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/multi_vehicle_atf.pdf

Redline:

D4 ATF: Very highly rated boutique ATF that is recommended to replace with T-IV. I haven't found a single negative review on this stuff. However don't be confused. This ATF is comparatively very expensive (2-3 times the cost of Valvoline Maxlife per gallon).

Product Data Sheet: http://www.redlineoil.com/content/fi...PDS%202-10.pdf

Amsoil:

Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF: Very highly rated boutique ATF that is recommended to replace with T-IV. I haven't found a single negative review on this stuff either. However don't be confused. Like Redline, this ATF is comparatively very expensive (2-3 times the cost of Valvoline Maxlife per gallon).

Product Data Sheet: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3110.pdf

Gear Oil for M/T:

Most agree on a few good oils. Toyota manual tranmissions need to have a GL4 oil to prevent damage to the yellow metal inside the transmission. Synthetic gear oil is amazing and works great in the cold for smooth buttery shifts. Replace all every 30K.

Redline MT90: My favorite. Available on Amazon or from Redline for about 13 bucks a quart.

Product Data sheet: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7

Amsoil Synthetic Manual Transmission oil: Another highly recommended yellow metal safe oil.

Product data sheet: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx

Royal Purple Max Gear: Well recommended, yellow metal safe oil.

Description sheet: http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/produ...ive/#!max-gear

Mobil, Valvoline, and Castrol do not specify or list a GL4 compatibile gear oil.

Power Steering Fluid:

Replace every 2-3 years. The power steering requires any Dexron compatible ATF as opposed to the clear generic stuff. I prefer to use Valvoline Maxlife or Castrol Transmax. You can however use any Dexron compatible ATF you wish (I have even used Toyota T-IV with great results).

Brake Fluid:

Replace every 2-3 years. I prefer to use any available synthetic DOT 3 or DOT4 fluid I can find at the auto parts store such as Wearever, Prestone, or Valvoline. Other high quality "boutique" fluids like Motul or other name brands may not be worth the cost for a daily driven car.

Brake Pads, Shoes, and Rotors:

Not all brakes are created equal. Rotor quality and pad quality can mean the difference between squeaks or brake fade in emergencies or stop and go driving. OEM pads are low dust ceramic in the front. I highly recommend using the OEM hardware when doing a brake job.

Pads and Shoes:

Toyota:

OEM: The OEM pads and shoes equipped on your vehicle. These are very high quality low dust pad made by either Advics, Sumitomo, Hitachi, or Akebono. I currently have 120K miles on my OEM Toyota pads.

Front:
CE/LE/S and Base/XR - 04465-02070
XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - 04465-02080

Rear:
CE/LE/S North American Built - 04495-02050
CE/LE/S Japan Built - 04495-52040
FWD Matrix and Vibe - 04495-01040
AWD Matrix and Vibe - 04495-63011
XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - 04466-20090

TRD: A higher performance brake pad which is made of a Kevlar and ceramic compound.

Front:
All 2003-2008 - PTR09-02080

Rear:
XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - PTR09-20010-15

Akebono: Very high quality replacement pads. Akebono makes OEM pads for Toyota and other manufacturers. The hardware is generic and I prefer OEM hardware. I have used these several times with great results.

ProAct: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...892&cc=1433062

Front:
All 2003-2008 - Akebono ACT923

Rear:
XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - ACT823

ADVICS: Another high quality OEM pad maker for Toyota and others.

Front:
All 2003-2008 - AD0923

Rear:
XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - AD0823

Beck/Arnley: Beck/Arnley offers a few different lines of brake pads. I will only focus on the OEM Brake Pad line which is literally a rebox of the factory Sumitomo, Advics, Hitachi, or Akebono pads in a Beck/Arnley box and the Premium Shoes, which are high quality replacement brake shoes. These pads and shoes are highly recommended.

OE Pads: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...id=588&jpid=87

Front:
All 2003-2008 Models - 089-1697

Rear:
CE/LE/S North American Built - 081-3167
CE/LE/S Japan Built - 081-3146
FWD Matrix and Vibe - 081-3168
AWD Matrix and Vibe - 081-3174
XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - 089-1636

Centric: Centric offers 3 Ceramic pad lines. One Posi-Quiet premium in house line ,another "100 Series" OEM pad line where they rebox OEM pads, and a high performance StopTech line.

Posi-Quiet Premium: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...584&cc=1433062

Front:
All 2003-2008 Models - 105.09230

Rear:
XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - 105.08230

"100 Series" OE Formula Pads:

Front:
All 2003-2008 Models - 100.09230

Rear:
XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - 100.08230

StopTech High Performance: Comparable to EBC Redstuff and Hawk HPS, these High Performance pads are raved about for their performance and driveability.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...444&cc=1433059

Front:
All 2003-2008 Models - 309.09230

Rear:
XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - 30908230

Brembo: Brembo is leading name in brake performance and technology. They also have an OEM line which may be a rebox of other pads.

http://brembo.mycarparts.net/product..._id=2246976998

Front - P83061N

Hawk: Comparable to StopTech and EBC Redstuff these High Performance pads are raved about for their performance and driveability.

http://www.hawkpadsdirect.com/Hawk-P...-Pads-s/11.htm

HPS Street Pads:

Front:
All 2003-2008 Models - HB441F.661

Rear:
XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - HB329F.543

EBC: Comparable to the Centric line, these High Performance pads are raved about for their performance and driveability.

Note: EBC recommends to NOT upgrade the rear brake pads unless the SAME upgrade is fitted to the front to avoid brake imbalance. What this means is make sure that the rear brakes are not higher friction than the front.

Ultimax2: High quality OEM replacement pads with the "much coveted" GG friction rating. http://ebcbrakes.com/product/ultimax-brake-pads/
Front:
All 2003-2008 Models - UD923

Rear:
XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - UD823

Green Stuff Sport:"Greenstuff pads deliver improved stopping power with zero noise and normal lifetime." http://ebcbrakes.com/product/greenstuff-brake-pads/

Front:
All 2003-2008 Models - DP21637

Rear:
XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - DP21326

Red Stuff Fast: "Redstuff Ceramic pad for higher speed driving... deliver zero noise and extended lifetime." http://ebcbrakes.com/product/redstuff-brake-pads/

Front:
All 2003-2008 Models - DP31637C

Rear:
XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - DP31326C

Yellow Stuff Race: For extended race use." http://ebcbrakes.com/product/yellows...nd-track-pads/ "

Front:
All 2003-2008 Models - DP41637R

Rear:
XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - DP41326R

Wagner: Thermoquiet are the premium Wagner line. Good overall reviews online as well. Apparently they are the number one global pad manufacturer.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...443&cc=1433062

Front:
All 2003-2008 Models - QC923 (with hardware) PD923 (without hardware)

Rear:
CE/LE/S North American Built - PAB801
CE/LE/S Japan Built - PAB832
FWD Matrix and Vibe - PAB785
AWD Matrix and Vibe - PAB790
XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - QC823 (with hardware) PD823 (without hardware)

Wearever: Another very commonly used brake pad. Available in 4 lines I will touch only on the Gold and Ceramic lines for pads and Silver for shoes:

Silver: Economical bonded brake shoes in the silver line.

Rear:
CE/LE/S North American Built - NB801
CE/LE/S Japan Built - NB832
FWD Matrix and Vibe - NB785
AWD Matrix and Vibe - NB790

Gold: High quality ceramic pad that does not include hardware. Lifetime warranty

Front:
All 2003-2008 Models - GNAD923

Rear:
XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - GNAD823

Platinum: High quality ceramic pad that includes hardware and moly brake lube. I have used these with great results.

Front:
All 2003-2008 Models - PNAD923

Rear:
XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - PNAD823

There are several other manufacturers of brake pads and shoes including: Bendix, Monroe, Midas, Raybestos, etc., that are either reboxes or similar quality. This list is not all inclusive but should provide a guide for good quality pads and shoes.

Brake Rotors and Drums:

OEM Toyota/GM: High quality rotors that can be expected from an OEM manufacturer.

Front: All 2003-2008 models - Toyota - 43512-02111 or GM - 88974262
Rear Disc: XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - 42431-47030 or GM - 88974200

Rear Drum:

Corolla CE/LE/S - 42431-02100
FWD Matrix and Vibe - Toyota - 42431-01030 or GM - 88970141
AWD Matrix and Vibe - Toyota - 42431-12230 or GM - 88970107

Advics: Very high quality rotors from an OEM manufacturer. Advics claims that these rotors are made with identical materials and processes as the factory Toyota and Lexus rotors specifically.

Front: All 2003-2008 models - A6F059

Beck/Arnley: Very high quality premium rotors and drums . I have used both Beck/Arnley rotors and drums with good results. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...d=1420&jpid=22

Front: All 2003-2008 models - 083-2924
Rear Disc: XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - 083-2827

Rear Drum:

Corolla CE/LE/S - 083-2937
FWD Matrix and Vibe - 083-3026
AWD Matrix and Vibe - 083-3313

Centric: Centric offers many different rotors from a standard all the way to a drilled and slotted StopTech rotor. Higher models feature a corossion resistant E-coating. These are my preferred choice when OEM are too much.

C-TEK Standard: Standard Rotor

Front: All 2003-2008 models - 121.44114
Rear: XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT -121.4415

Premium: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...592&cc=1433059

Front: All 2003-2008 models - 120.44114 w/out cryogenic treatment 12044114CRY w/ cryogenic treatment
Rear: XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT -120.44115 w/out cryogenic treatment 12044115CRY w/cryogenic treatment

High Carbon Alloy: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...528&cc=1433059

Front: All 2003-2008 models - 125.44114
Rear: XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - 125.4415

StopTech: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...284&cc=1433059

Front: All 2003-2008 models -

Drilled - 128.44114L 128.44114R w/out cryogenic treatment 128.44114CL 128.44114CR w/ cryogenic treatment
Slotted - 126.44114SL 126.44114SR w/out cryogenic treatment 126.44114CSL 126.44114CSR w/ cryogenic treatment
Drilled and Slotted - 127.44114L 127.44114R w/out cryogenic treatment 127.44114CL 127.44114CR w/ cryogenic treatment

Rear: XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT -

Drilled - 128.44115L 128.44115R w/out cryogenic treatment 128.44115CL 128.44115CR w/ cryogenic treatment
Slotted - 126.44115SL 126.44115SR w/out cryogenic treatment 126.44115CSL 126.44115CSR w/ cryogenic treatment
Drilled and Slotted - 127.44115L 127.44115R w/out cryogenic treatment 127.44115CL 127.44115CR w/ cryogenic treatment

Brembo: Brembo blanks are the only choice for some owners. High quality Brembo blanks are comparable to OEM quality. Watch out for fakes.

http://brembo.mycarparts.net/product..._id=2247037876

Front: All 2003-2008 models - 09.9559.20 (not painted) 09.9559.21 (painted) / 5 Digit Brembo Part Number 25564
Rear: XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - 08.A273.20 / 5 Digit Brembo Part Number 25565

EBC: High quality rotors for street and sport applications.

UPR Series: High quality replacement blanks.

Front: All 2003-2008 models - UPR7110
Rear: XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - UPR7111

GD Series Rotor: High Quality Cross Drilled Rotors

http://ebcbrakes.com/product/3gd-sport-rotors/

Front: All 2003-2008 models - GD7110
Rear: XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - GD7111

USR Series: High Quality Slotted Rotors

http://ebcbrakes.com/product/usr-slotted-rotors/

Front: All 2003-2008 models - USR7110
Rear: XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - USR7111

Front: All 2003-2008 models - 12844114L 12844114R (drilled) 12744114L 12744114R (drilled and slotted)
Rear: XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT -12844115L 12844115R (drilled) 12744115L 12744115R (drilled and slotted)

Duralast: Autozone rotors. I have used them for years with no issues.

Duralast Standard:

Front: All 2003-2008 models - 31270
Rear: XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - 31269

Duralast Gold: Allegedly these are high carbon steel rotors. They also have an E-Coating for rust prevention.

Front: All 2003-2008 models - 31270DG
Rear: XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - 31269DG

Wagner: Pretty standard Rotor

Front: All 2003-2008 models - BD126017 or 126017
Rear: XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - BD12606 or 126016

Wearever: Another pretty standard rotor. I got two really bad sets of these and can no longer really recommend them, however the part number is here for your information.

Front: All 2003-2008 models - YH145294
Rear: XRS Models and Pontiac Vibe GT - YH145293

My Toyota List:

1982 Corolla SR-5 (Shell Right Now)
1988 Cressida 5MGE A/T
2005 Corolla CE 1ZZFE M/T
2005 Sequoia Limited 2UZFE A/T
2008 LS460 SWB RWD 1URFSE A/T

If I helped out in any way please hit the Thanks button under my post.

Last edited by hardtopte72; 04-17-2017 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Update, Cleanup, Error Corrections
The Following 78 Users Say Thank You to hardtopte72 For This Useful Post:
45ACP1911 (03-01-2014), 75aces (01-26-2014), alpha_1976 (09-25-2013), apehead (02-19-2014), artsamm (04-27-2018), AshevilleMTBiker (01-15-2015), AutoCrat (02-08-2015), BBQ (06-16-2018), bfcorolla (12-01-2015), bikemannc (05-25-2013), biyanpian (04-27-2014), bmninada (12-17-2012), Braker (09-21-2017), camryguy2 (11-19-2013), CenCalTrix (11-28-2018), ChpStcksRlz (10-22-2013), Chuchu (06-23-2013), cuz68 (03-13-2014), Dan W (06-01-2019), DIY_Everything (04-11-2017), Dman1 (02-02-2014), DrGrillie (08-02-2014), Duplex (08-31-2014), Eddbass (03-25-2016), elcoqui121 (11-21-2016), Eliot Ness (11-10-2016), EnjoyThe Ride (04-15-2019), Ergun02 (12-30-2012), EricToyo (10-03-2014), eyeball96 (12-01-2012), fallingdown (01-26-2014), hdvl (12-29-2013), highpsi4 (02-10-2015), hoopitup2000 (09-27-2013), incognito_2u (02-25-2014), its_done (12-03-2013), JarheadBoom (01-09-2015), jaymorals (12-21-2018), jburner (02-02-2013), jcwit (07-31-2014), jlh92 (10-20-2014), John Amu (05-05-2013), JRolla (12-16-2012), JUSTMIKE68 (04-28-2014), kazhuveri (12-05-2012), khornbuckle (09-20-2013), kyoo (06-09-2016), Lionheart876 (12-31-2013), mbzdoc (10-01-2013), MD1032 (12-30-2012), mikered30 (12-10-2012), MrGreengenes (03-14-2014), olbus (06-14-2013), PICKLEBOY (10-17-2013), pork2000 (11-19-2014), RealRicLess (12-20-2013), REN69 (01-18-2018), Romero (05-31-2014), rose1957 (08-28-2013), RPM2ZZ (04-27-2014), rtomlinsen (01-28-2019), SaGa (02-28-2013), saskrider (12-02-2012), Skippy123 (09-08-2013), Slipknotgsxr (03-15-2013), SuperchargedMR2 (02-21-2013), surgeon0 (03-27-2014), sweeneyp (12-07-2012), T.Holla (03-19-2014), TrailDust (12-10-2012), vic (01-25-2014), WHITE ONE (01-08-2014), ws76133 (02-06-2016), xvilla (06-21-2018), yeehau86 (12-10-2012), Zach Bennett (04-01-2015), zillarolla (06-22-2014), zythr (11-27-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 221 Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Toyota Fanatic

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Chassis and Suspension Parts:

These cars have pretty high quality parts from the factory. As they get up in age and mileage, these parts may wear out. In general, OEM parts are the highest quality, though they cost a considerable amount more.

Strut Assemblies

OEM Toyota:

Front Strut Only -

2003-2008 Corolla CE/LE/S: Left - 48520-A9180 and Right - 48510-A9320
2005-2006 Corolla XRS: Left - 48520-09A20 and Right - 48510-09B00
2003-2008 FWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 48520-A9200 and Right - 48510-A9330
2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): Left - 48520-09740 and Right - 48510-A9260

Rear Strut Only -

2003-2008 Corolla CE/LE/S: 48530-A9560
2005-2006 Corolla XRS: 48530-09G00
2003-2008 FWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 48530-A9540
2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): 48530-A9550

KYB: High quality replacements. KYB makes most struts and shocks for Toyota models.

Front Strut Only -

2003-2008 Corolla (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 334451 and Right - 334450
2003-2008 FWD and AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 235704 and Right - 235703

Front Quick Strut -

2003-2008 Corolla (All Trims and All Engines): Left - SR4069 and Right - SR4068
2003-2008 FWD and AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Left - SR4118 and Right - SR4117

Rear Strut Only -

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 344612
2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): 344613

Monroe: Generally good reviews from the OESpectrum line listed below.

Front Strut Only -

2003-2008 Corolla (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 72115 and Right - 72114
2003-2008 FWD and AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 72117 and Right - 72116

Front Quick Strut -

2003-2008 Corolla (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 172115 and Right - 172114
2003-2008 FWD and AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 172117 and Right - 172116

Rear Strut Only -

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 71373
2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): 71375

Rear Quick Strut -

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 171373L and Right - 171373R

Gabriel: Generally good reviews out of these.

Front Strut Only -

2003-2008 Corolla (All Trims and All Engines): Left - G56661 and Right - G56660
2003-2008 FWD and AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Left - G52013 and Right - G52014

Front Quick Strut -

2003-2008 Corolla (All Trims and All Engines): Left - G57114 and Right - G57115

Rear Strut Only -

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): G51736
2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): G51768

Rear Quick Strut -

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Left - G57067 and Right - G57068

FCS: These actually have pretty good reviews as quick struts go. There is not much information at all on them aside from some online reviews.

Front Quick Strut -

2003-2008 Corolla (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 1331601L and Right - 1331601R
2003-2008 FWD and AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 1331617L and Right - 1331617R

Rear Quick Strut -

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 1345404L and Right - 1345404R

Unity: I only know of one person who ran these and he was happy with them. Like the FCS, there is not much information on them.

2003-2008 Corolla (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 11751 and Right - 11752

Sensen: These are very hit or miss in quality. Specifically for the 2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe, the reviews are not good.

Front Strut Only -

2003-2008 Corolla (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 42141090 and Right - 42141089
2003-2008 FWD and AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 42141438 and Right - 42141437

Front Quick Strut -

2003-2008 Corolla (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 92140131 and Right - 92140130

Rear Strut Only -

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 32130109

Sachs: These are relatively expensive though they receive rave reviews.

Front Strut Only -

2003-2008 Corolla (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 313094 and Right - 313093
2003-2008 FWD and AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 031365 and Right - 031366

Rear Strut Only -

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 031367

Strut Mounts

OEM Toyota: These are the highest quality mounts available. The aftermarket mounts are not even close to the quality of the OEM mount.

Mounts:

Front -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe FWD and AWD (All Engines and All Trims): 48609-01050

Rear -

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 48403-32010 and Right - 48401-32020
2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): 48401-32010

Rear Mount Bushing Parts:

Upper Bushing -

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 48755-02050
2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): 48755-01020

Washer -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe FWD and AWD (All Engines and All Trims): 90948-03021

Lower Bushing -

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 48750-02050
2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): 48750-01020

KYB: While KYB makes the factory struts, they do not make the factory mount. These are clearly inferior to the OEM mount and comparable to most aftermarket mounts.

Front -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe FWD and AWD (All Engines and All Trims): SM5215

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): SM5382 (kit)

Monroe: Pretty much the same as KYB/Moog.

Front -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe FWD and AWD (All Engines and All Trims): 905957

Rear -

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 908989 and Right - 908988

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 904990 (kit)

Moog: Pretty much the same as Monroe/KYB.

Front -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe FWD and AWD (All Engines and All Trims): K90330

Sensen: Unsure of the quality as I haven't seen any reviews. I cannot imaging it is good though. Does come some nice pads to prevent creaks.

Front -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe FWD and AWD (All Engines and All Trims): M73680

Strut Parts (Bellows and Misc.)

OEM Toyota: Quality parts as expected.

Front Bellows w/Upper Insulator -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 48157-02070

Front Lower Spring Insulator -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 48158-02060

Front Upper Spring Seat -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 48044-02050

Front Bump Stop -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 48331-AB010

Front Nut Cover/Cap

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 48684-52010

Rear Upper Insulator -

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 48257-02040
2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): 48257-01020

Rear Bump Stop -

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 48341-AB010
2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): 48341-01040

KYB: Some of these parts are hard to mess up. I have used these aftermarket without issues.

Rear Upper Insulator w/Bump Stop -

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): SB108

Monroe: Same as KYB/Moog.

Front Bellows w/Bump Stop -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 63640

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 906936

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 907981

Rear Bellow w/Bump Stop -

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 63628

Moog: Same a KYB/Monroe

Front Bellows w/Bump Stop -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): K90461

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): K160143

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): K160259

Rear Bellow w/Bump Stop -

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): K90467

Lower Control Arms and Ball Joints

OEM Toyota: The highest quality parts are the factory parts.

Front Lower Control Arm -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 48069-02021 and Right - 48068-02021

Lower Ball Joint -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 43330-09670

Rear Lower Control Arm -

2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): Left - 48720-32093 and Right - 48710-32093

Rear Upper Control Arm -

2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): 48770-20010

Beck Arnley: High quality replacement parts. I have used them personally with good results.

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 102-5417 and Right - 102-5416

Lower Ball Joint -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 101-5320

Moog: Lately they seem to be hit or miss for quality. However the majority of reviews show them as the go to brand for chassis and suspension parts.

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Left - RK640361 and Right - RK640360

Lower Ball Joint -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): K80595

Rear Upper Control Arm -

2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): RK641847

Raybestos/ACDelco Professional: Reboxed parts are hit or miss on quality. Usually you win or lose big. In general, the higher end versions (Professional) get very good reviews compared to the lower (Service) end stuff.

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 5071231/45D3231 and Right - 5071232/45D3232

Lower Ball Joint -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): 5051327/45D2327

Rear Upper Control Arm -

2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): 45K0188

MEVOTECH Supreme: As with the Raybetos/ACDelco, the higher end versions get very good reviews compared to the low end versions.

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Left - CMS20245 and Right - CMS20244

Lower Ball Joint -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): MK80595

Dorman: I have personally used Dorman parts and have nothing but rave reviews. Online however, Dorman is very hit or miss.

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Left - 520449 and Right - 520450

Sway Bars and Related Parts

OEM Toyota: These are the highest quality replacements.

Front Strut Bar (XRS Bar):

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe FWD and AWD (All Engines and All Trims): 48690-12040

Front Strut Bar (TRD Bar):

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe FWD and AWD (All Engines and All Trims): PTR02-02070

Sway Bar End Links:

Front -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe FWD and AWD (All Engines and All Trims): 48820-02030

Rear -

2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): 48830-01010

Sway Bar Bushings:

Front -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe FWD and AWD (All Engines and All Trims): 48815-02100

Rear:

2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): 48818-01020

Rear Sway Bar (TRD)-

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): PTR11-02060

Beck Arnley: High quality replacement parts. I buy a LOT of Beck Arnley parts.

Sway Bar End Links:

Front -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe FWD and AWD (All Engines and All Trims): 101-4908

Rear -

2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): 101-5722

Moog: Lately they seem to be hit or miss for quality. However the majority of reviews show them as the go to brand for chassis and suspension parts.

Sway Bar End Links:

Front -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe FWD and AWD (All Engines and All Trims): K80230

Rear -

2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): K90718

Sway Bar Bushings:

Front -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe FWD and AWD (All Engines and All Trims): K200146

Rear:

2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): K200750

ACDelco Professional: Reboxed parts are hit or miss on quality. Usually you win or lose big. In general, the higher end versions (Professional) get very good reviews compared to the lower (Service) end stuff.

Sway Bar End Links:

Front -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe FWD and AWD (All Engines and All Trims): 45G0350

Rear -

2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): 45G0387

Sway Bar Bushings:

Front -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe FWD and AWD (All Engines and All Trims): 45G0723

Rear:

2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): 45G1784

MEVOTECH Supreme: As with the Raybetos/ACDelco, the higher end versions get very good reviews compared to the low end versions.

Sway Bar End Links:

Front -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe FWD and AWD (All Engines and All Trims): MK80230

Rear -

2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims): MK90718

Progress: Rave reviews out of this sway bar. It is comparable to the TRD bar at a fraction of the cost. There appear to be 22mm (older) and 24mm (newer) versions. Most new bars should be 24mm.

Rear Sway Bar -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe FWD and AWD (All Engines and All Trims): 62.2150

Ultra Racing: Rave reviews out of these bars. I had both the front strut bar and rear sway bar in my Camry.

Front Strut Bar (2 Point) -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe FWD and AWD (All Engines and All Trims): UR-TW2-026

Front Lower Subframe Brace/Bar (3 Point) -

2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Pontiac Vibe FWD and AWD (may or may not fit AWD): UR-LA3-153

Rear Sway Bar - This 19mm bar is installed in addition to your factory or aftermarket sway bar.

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): UR-AR19-076

Rear Axle Brace/Bar -

2003-2008 FWD Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): UR-RL2-446

Rear Strut Tower/Trunk Bar -

2003-2008 Corolla (All Trims and All Engines): UR-RE4-154

Tie Rod Ends

OEM Toyota:

2003-2008 Corolla (All Trims and All Engines): Inner - 45503-09400 Outer - Left: 45047-09080 and Right: 45046-09200
2003-2008 FWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Inner - 45503-09430 Outer - Left and Right: 45046-09190
2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe: Inner - 45503-09405 Outer - Left and Right: 45046-09190

Beck Arnley:

2003-2008 Corolla (All Trims and All Engines): Inner - 101-5056 Outer - Left: 101-5054 and Right: 101-5055
2003-2008 FWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Inner - 101-5430 Outer - Left and Right: 101-5432
2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe: Inner - 101-5328 Outer - Left and Right: 101-5432

Moog:

2003-2008 Corolla (All Trims and All Engines): Inner - EV470 Outer - Left: ES80432 and Right: ES80431
2003-2008 FWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Inner - EV466 or EV800058 Outer - Left and Right: ES3713
2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe: Inner - EV81000 Outer - Left and Right: ES3713

MEVOTECH:

2003-2008 Corolla (All Trims and All Engines): Inner - MEV470 Outer - Left: MES80432 and Right: MES80431
2003-2008 FWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Inner - MEV466 Outer - Left and Right: MES3713
2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe: Inner - MS86720 Outer - Left and Right: MES3713

ACDelco:

2003-2008 Corolla (All Trims and All Engines): Inner - 45A0935 Outer - Left: 45A0951 and Right: 45A0952
2003-2008 FWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Inner - 45A2160 Outer - Left and Right: 45A0525
2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe: Inner - 45A2165 Outer - Left and Right: 45A0525

Deeza:

2003-2008 Corolla (All Trims and All Engines): Inner - TYA618 Outer - Left: TYT628 and Right: TYT626
2003-2008 FWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe (All Trims and All Engines): Inner - PNA601 Outer - Left and Right: PNT602
2003-2006 AWD Matrix and Pontiac Vibe: Inner - TYA203 Outer - Left and Right: PNT602

Wiper Blades:

The OEM wiper blades for the 9th Gen Corolla are of the outdated frame design. They have 6 pressure points that make contact with the glass and when the blade wears out streaking occurs. I have updated my 9th Gen (2003-2008) Corolla blades to OEM Toyota/Denso Designer 10th (2009-2013) Gen Corolla wiper blades because due to the location of the arms on the 9th Gen Corolla, the 10th Gen Corolla blades cover more windshield. There are also several frameless style blades available with the Denso Designer being the same exact blade as OEM. Going to the 10th Gen length on a 9th Gen Corolla will cover more windshield than factory increasing visibility without the blades touching. Lengths for 9th Gen Corolla are 24 inch for the driver side and 18 inch for the passenger side. Lengths for 10th Gen Corolla are 26 inch for the driver side 16 inch for the passenger side. Lengths for the Matrix/Pontiac Vibe are 21 inch for the driver side and 18 inch for the passenger side.

OEM Toyota Improved Style:

2003-2008 Corolla: Driver - 85222-06110 Passenger - 85212-74010
2003-2008 Matrix/Pontiac Vibe: Driver - 85212-0T020 (Venza) or 85212-06110 (Camry) Passenger - 85212-74010
2009-2013 Corolla: Driver - 85222-02250 or 85222-0T030 Passenger - 85212-02230 or 85212-28170

Note: Toyota has no 21" blades in the new design so Matrix/Vibe owners will either need to try the 22" Venza Blade or go with the 20" Camry Blade for the Driver side.

Denso Designer Blade:

2003-2008 Corolla: Driver - 1603124 Passenger - 1603118
2003-2008 Matrix/Pontiac Vibe: Driver - 1603122 (Venza), 1603120 (Highlander), or 1603121 (Matrix/Pontiac Vibe) Passenger - 1603118
2009-2013 Corolla: Driver - 1603126 Passenger - 1603116

Note: Using the 1603121 Matrix/Pontiac Vibe 21" Blade means you won't be able to use OEM Toyota replacement inserts when they wear out.

Replacement Inserts: (Blades above come with inserts. These are only needed when the originals are worn out).

2003-2008 Corolla: Driver - 85214-06140 Passenger - 85214-30400
2003-2008 Matrix/Pontiac Vibe: Driver - 85214-0T040 (Venza) or 85214-06130 (Highlander) Passenger - 85214-30400
2009-2013 Corolla: Driver - 85214-68020 Passenger - 85214-28090

With these lengths you can check out any frame-less beam style blades from Anco, Bosch, Valeo or Trico.

Belt Tensioner and Drive Belt:

Drive Belt Tensioners: Toyota/GM offered both an INA and OTICS type tensioners which are differentiated by the tensioner piston cover. The INA type has a removable rubber cover, while the OTICS type has a hard plastic cover. The original tensioner was an INA tensioner prone to failure which was replaced by an OTICS type. Toyota/GM discontinued the OTICS type and now offers a newer version of the INA type tensioner.

Note: Some of the aftermarket tensioners are known to fail. It is best to stay with the OEM Toyota or AC Delco tensioner.

Note: It appears that the Gates, AC Delco Professional, and Continental are the exact same tensioner in a different bag. This is common with other belt drive parts including pulleys and drive belts.

1ZZFE:

OEM Toyota/GM: Toyota - 16620-0W093 or GM - 19205431

Gates/AC Delco Professional: 38286

Dayco: 89356

Continental: 49346

Dorman: 419123

Hayden: 5578

2ZZGE:

OEM Toyota/GM: Toyota - 16620-22034 or GM - 88975065

Drive Belt: It is HIGHLY advisable to NOT go with an OEM Toyota/Bando drive belt. They are known to stretch and squeak in as little as 20K miles.

2003-2008 Corolla/Matrix

Gates/Napa Micro-V: Very high quality belts. I have used them with great results.

1ZZFE: K060739 w/AC K060605 w/o AC
2ZZGE: K060763 w/AC K060625 w/o AC

Continental Elite: Very high quality belts. I have used them with great results.

1ZZFE: 4060740 w/AC 4060606 w/o AC
2ZZGE: 4060763 w/AC standard length 4060764 w/AC OEM length 4060625 w/o AC

2003-2008 Pontiac Vibe

Gates/Napa Micro-V: Very high quality belts. I have used them with great results.

1ZZFE: K060725
2ZZGE: K060747

Continental Elite: Very high quality belts. I have used them with great results.

1ZZFE: 4060725
2ZZGE: 4060747

Litens "Fix It" Kit: This kit uses a new "Spring Type" Tensioner and according to Litens requires the uses of a new OAD (Overrunning Alternator Decoupling) pulley to replace the existing Alternator Pulley as the OEM pulley will not work with the kit. The kit makes use of the Goodyear Gatorback Belt listed above for models w/AC. According to Litens the OAD pulley has a service life of 100,000-120,000 miles (around 160,000-193,000 KM).

Part number: 999424

Tensioner: From Litens: "This tensioner is offered as a replacement part for the fix-kit only and cannot be installed on a vehicle with the original front-end accessory drive components."

Part number: 999418A

OAD Pulley:

Part number: 920834A

PCV Valve and Hose:

I highly recommend only an OEM Toyota, OEM GM, or AC Delco OEM PCV valve here. The OEM PCV valve is made by Aisan and as long as you buy an OEM Toyota, OEM GM, or AC Delco OEM, you will get the Aisan Valve. There are differences in PCV valves for 1ZZFE engines based on the engine valve cover. I recommend replacement of the OEM PCV valve at 100K miles. If the hose is damaged, replace it as well.

PCV Valve:

1ZZFE:

Toyota - 12204-22041, GM - 88974190, or AC Delco OEM - CV2523C with mark on body 22040/22041, green Loctite, and has M16 x 1.5mm (Metric) threads. It takes a 22mm or 7/8" wrench or socket.

Toyota - 12204-22051, GM - 88974189, or AC Delco OEM - CV4006C with mark on body 22050/22051, pink Loctite, and has 3/8-19 BSP (Pipe) Threads. It takes a 19mm or 3/4 wrench or socket.

2ZZGE:

Toyota - 12204-88600, GM - 88969512, or AC Delco OEM - 214-2088 with mark on body 88600, pink Loctite, and has 3/8-19 BSP (Pipe) Threads. It takes a 19mm or 3/4 wrench or socket.

PCV Hose:

1ZZFE: Toyota - 12262-22040 or GM - 88969002

2ZZGE: Toyota - 12261-88601 or GM - 88969537

Feel free to PM or reply with any additions and I will see if I can get to them
Crt909 and CenCalTrix like this.

My Toyota List:

1988 Cressida 5MGE A/T

Last edited by hardtopte72; 04-17-2017 at 03:48 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardtopte72 For This Useful Post:
BMH (03-22-2019), CenCalTrix (11-28-2018)
post #3 of 221 Old 12-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question: I have seen good reviews on Toyota oil filters. They are also very reasonable when purchased by the case. Why are they not listed as a good oil filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 221 Old 12-10-2012, 11:44 AM
T Man

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Guy69 View Post
Question: I have seen good reviews on Toyota oil filters. They are also very reasonable when purchased by the case. Why are they not listed as a good oil filter?
Good point. I too switched to Toyota oil filters after a lot of people (in TN) recommended it.

According to this post, it's garbage:
Quote:
Originally Posted by op
Denso: Denso makes the OEM Oil filter for these cars. It is made in several places. This is one of the worst designed oil filters available. It features no end caps, rubber ADBV, and generally poor construction. Cost savings is the only good things about this filter.

==============
2009 Highlander V6 SE AWD
2002 Corolla CE
1994 Camry V6 LE - RIP (Traded in for $100 )
==============
post #5 of 221 Old 12-10-2012, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Toyota Fanatic

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Cut one open and you will see why. It's comparable to a low range Fram.

Most people recommend them because they say Toyota without actually checking them out. Unlike nearly every other part on the car these are a cheap part not better than the same aftermarket available part.

My Toyota List:

1988 Cressida 5MGE A/T

Last edited by hardtopte72; 12-10-2012 at 04:03 PM.
post #6 of 221 Old 12-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Interesting. I got my impression about the Toyota filters from this site:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/toyota.html

After reading the comments I went back and re-read it. This is what it said: Toyota 90915-YZZD1
"This filter is manufactured by Denso and is rather unique. For starters, the cartridge has no end caps to speak of. Each pleat is thermally bonded shut at the ends about 3/16" inward. This was accounted for in the surface area measurement, however this filter still has the largest surface area out of the entire group: 160 sqin. The main reason for this is the narrow core tube, which allowed for very deep pleats and thus a very long filter element. A wide core tube is not needed for such a short filter. The filter does use a plastic bypass valve similar to the Fram filter, however I could not make this one leak. It is also held in place by a steel clip rather than plastic tabs like the Fram."

There are pics of the filter disassembled if anyone is curious.

I am not here to support Toyota Filters or bash them. BTW: for my other cars, I do use Wix oil filters.

Last edited by T-Guy69; 12-10-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: add quote marks
post #7 of 221 Old 12-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
What's the name of the fuel system cleaner with PEA that I keep reading about? Info on how often to use it, what to expect from using it, etc would be most appreciated!
post #8 of 221 Old 12-21-2012, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Toyota Fanatic

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Techron, Gumout Regane, BG44K, etc.

Others may vary but I used them and noticed zero difference. The Toyota OEM cleaner cleared up a few issues I had developed. Read here.

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/13...lush-pics.html

My Toyota List:

1988 Cressida 5MGE A/T

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hardtopte72 For This Useful Post:
apehead (02-19-2014), thatoneguy (12-21-2012), vic (01-25-2014)
post #9 of 221 Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Wiper blades

In line with the ones you've recommend, may I recommend Valeo either the 900 series (frameless) or 600 series (frame) also? I have found them to be superb in quality and longevity too.
The Following User Says Thank You to bmninada For This Useful Post:
hardtopte72 (12-27-2012)
post #10 of 221 Old 12-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Official TN Member

Toyota dealer I know stated Mobil 1 product is extremely good and Mobil 1 certifies for Toyota. It's not the same you've mentioned above but a different oil.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ATF_3309.aspx#
post #11 of 221 Old 12-27-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Toyota Fanatic

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmninada View Post
Toyota dealer I know stated Mobil 1 product is extremely good and Mobil 1 certifies for Toyota. It's not the same you've mentioned above but a different oil.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ATF_3309.aspx#
That is exactly the same fluid as Toyota T-IV. It's just a different name. The product data sheet I use shows its ATF 3309.

My Toyota List:

1988 Cressida 5MGE A/T

post #12 of 221 Old 12-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtopte72 View Post
Purolator Classic: Is the lower line filter. It is advertised with a 97.5 efficiency rating at 20 microns. It does not have an anti-drain back valve since in cars that it is mounted in, the oil cant flow out of the filter (upside down mounted
Some great info you provided. Just want to correct you on the Purolator Classic info. It DOES have anti-drainback valve and it's used in cars at various angles. It sits in a horizontal position on my Honda Accord. I prefer to use it over the PureOne because it is less restrictive. High flow always trumps high filtration in my book.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/...ilfilters.aspx

Last edited by ToyoLuv; 12-30-2012 at 05:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToyoLuv For This Useful Post:
RPM2ZZ (05-02-2014)
post #13 of 221 Old 12-31-2012, 02:31 PM
Official TN Member

Good information on coolant compatibility: http://www.toyotapart.com/ENGINE_COO...T-PG010-02.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to bmninada For This Useful Post:
RPM2ZZ (05-02-2014)
post #14 of 221 Old 01-01-2013, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Toyota Fanatic

Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoLuv View Post
Some great info you provided. Just want to correct you on the Purolator Classic info. It DOES have anti-drainback valve and it's used in cars at various angles. It sits in a horizontal position on my Honda Accord. I prefer to use it over the PureOne because it is less restrictive. High flow always trumps high filtration in my book.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/...ilfilters.aspx
I thought I edited that. I had rechecked already and found it to be untrue.

My Toyota List:

1988 Cressida 5MGE A/T

post #15 of 221 Old 01-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Now Hiring Co-Drivers

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
hardtop, thanks for all this info. I actually didn't know about the Purolator+Bosch merge. It's great finding out these bits of knowledge from people in the know to arm yourself with when you go shopping. I know I will from now on, as I just picked up a Bosch Premium along with a 5qt of Valvoline SynPower before even reading this sticky. Good to know I didn't buy anything bad. I'll certainly be looking at other filtering options in the future since the Bosch I picked up is essentially what one should get for bare minimum good quality if I'm understanding your write-up correctly.

A long time ago (some years) I purchased a TRD oil filter for the Corolla. I've yet to put it to use. Sorry I don't have the part number handy at the moment, but do you happen to know if it is at all a better item than Toyota's regular filter?

I've kept it in its box and stored away from any huge temp extremes or moisture, but I was also wondering if it's still ok to use after sitting for a long time? If I come to find that it is, but also isn't all that great of a filter, I'll keep them around to use in a pinch.

Thanks again for taking the time to do all this work. I'll be using this quite a bit from now on as I start doing more wrenching on my car.

-SaGa

'03 CE Auto (retired, April 2015)
'16 Scion FR-S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 9th Gen/1st Gen Matrix (2003-2008)