LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 06-06-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
I’m going to be replacing the Cold Start Temp Switch 89462-20030 and the instructions I can find online call for thread sealant. Any recommendations for a sensor/coolant safe thread sealer?

Thanks, Eugene

Last edited by emdcksn; 06-12-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-06-2019, 04:32 PM
DrZ
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Do you have the Toyota Repair Manual? It will list a part number for the sealant, then you can search for an equivalent.

The coolant safe is more important than the sensor safe part because the electronics are sealed inside metal. Permatex probably has something that will work.

1990 Corolla DX sedan, 4A-FE, 3-speed auto A131L
233,000 miles and counting...

1997 Corolla DX sedan, 7A-FE, 4-speed auto A245E
213,000+ miles
post #3 of 20 Old 06-06-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZ View Post
Do you have the Toyota Repair Manual? It will list a part number for the sealant, then you can search for an equivalent.

The coolant safe is more important than the sensor safe part because the electronics are sealed inside metal. Permatex probably has something that will work.
Unfortunately no manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 06-11-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
So, I got the new switch from Toyota and it has a copper crush washer. Does that mean no thread sealant is required? Is there a torque value or just ďGood n TightĒ? Sorry, itís not my car. Iím just trying to help a friend out who is financially challenged.

Last edited by emdcksn; 06-11-2019 at 01:34 PM.
post #5 of 20 Old 06-11-2019, 04:33 PM
DrZ
Senior TN Member

I don't have my repair manual with me, so I can't look up torque values. I know the fan switch doesn't need sealant nor does the block drain plug. I'd just make it about as tight as the original, and check if the original had a washer. If it's going into aluminum be careful not to overtighten. Fill with coolant and check that it's not leaking and it should be fine. I don't think there's too much risk of it loosening by itself if it's not tight enough, it's just that it will leak/weep a very small smount of coolant. Check it again for leaking after a bit of driving if you can.

213,000+ miles
post #6 of 20 Old 06-12-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I don't have my repair manual with me, so I can't look up torque values. I know the fan switch doesn't need sealant nor does the block drain plug. I'd just make it about as tight as the original, and check if the original had a washer. If it's going into aluminum be careful not to overtighten. Fill with coolant and check that it's not leaking and it should be fine. I don't think there's too much risk of it loosening by itself if it's not tight enough, it's just that it will leak/weep a very small smount of coolant. Check it again for leaking after a bit of driving if you can.
Will do. Thanks. I’ve been using Toyota Red in her car. Do you think it would be safe to change it over to the Toyota Pink? That way she can get a jug of Zerex if she were to need it?
post #7 of 20 Old 06-12-2019, 09:51 PM
DrZ
Senior TN Member

I'm not sure about the coolant types. You'd have to look up what is compatible. I've always used the regular Prestone green stuff in my 1990.

213,000+ miles
post #8 of 20 Old 06-13-2019, 01:51 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm not sure about the coolant types. You'd have to look up what is compatible. I've always used the regular Prestone green stuff in my 1990.
Same here. I use the green stuff. Some of the newer red stuff has a tendency to plug heater core passages (why I don't use DexCool in my GM's).

92 Geo Prizm 4 door sedan "stock" with 175,000 miles and still going
post #9 of 20 Old 06-13-2019, 03:52 PM
DrZ
Senior TN Member

DexCool isn't the same as Toyota Red or Pink. I know there have been a lot of problems with DexCool turning to gel if it's mixed with other coolants or maybe with too much air trapped in the system.

213,000+ miles
post #10 of 20 Old 06-13-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
The car has been running Toyota red since 2006 with no issues. Not sure I would want to change it to green.
post #11 of 20 Old 06-13-2019, 06:37 PM
DrZ
Senior TN Member

I don't think you should bother changing it. It shouldn't be losing coolant, so there shouldn't be a need to top it up frequently. If it is losing coolant then figure out why. There shouldn't be a need for her to buy a whole jug of coolant. If there is then there's some sort of big problem.

If it does lose a little coolant over time then distilled water can be used without affecting the coolant/water ratio too much. Even a lot of water can be used temporarily if it's not freezing outside. Or you could leave a small container of red coolant with her if she were to need it and she can safely store it.

213,000+ miles
post #12 of 20 Old 06-13-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I don't think you should bother changing it. It shouldn't be losing coolant, so there shouldn't be a need to top it up frequently. If it is losing coolant then figure out why. There shouldn't be a need for her to buy a whole jug of coolant. If there is then there's some sort of big problem.

If it does lose a little coolant over time then distilled water can be used without affecting the coolant/water ratio too much. Even a lot of water can be used temporarily if it's not freezing outside. Or you could leave a small container of red coolant with her if she were to need it and she can safely store it.
It hasnít lost any but is due for a flush. Itís been about 3yrs since the last one.
post #13 of 20 Old 06-13-2019, 08:08 PM
DrZ
Senior TN Member

All the common coolants use ethylene glycol. The only real difference between the colors is the corrosion inhibitors. Phosphates, silicates, etc. And some of those are not compatible with certain metals or seals used by various manufactures. Then there's the universally compatible coolants that say they can be mixed with anything.

From what I gather mixing stuff with DexCool caused problems. Now everyone is afraid to mix any different coolants together, but that fear may be overblow. I haven't heard any stories where mixing coolants other than DexCool caused major problems. (Of course now someone will probably post something to prove me wrong!)

213,000+ miles
post #14 of 20 Old 06-14-2019, 09:03 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emdcksn View Post
It hasnít lost any but is due for a flush. Itís been about 3yrs since the last one.
Then you'll need to get a jug or 2 and flush it. As for the temperature fitting, most of those are pipe thread style, so as you tighten it, it kind of locks itself in place. Most sensors are brass, which has is a good sealing material. But, a little bit of Permatex ultra gray (or the Toyota red stuff you mentioned above) should seal it if you're worried.

I've never seen Dexcool turn into a jelly, but I have seen it develop crystals in cooling passages and heater cores.
Yes, some manufacturers want you to use their stuff (like Honda blue, or Toyota red), but in reality they all use the same base materials (kind of like oils), then manufacturers tailor them with different chemicals to meet their specs.

92 Geo Prizm 4 door sedan "stock" with 175,000 miles and still going
post #15 of 20 Old 06-14-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrolla clone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by emdcksn View Post
It hasn’t lost any but is due for a flush. It’s been about 3yrs since the last one.
Then you'll need to get a jug or 2 and flush it. As for the temperature fitting, most of those are pipe thread style, so as you tighten it, it kind of locks itself in place. Most sensors are brass, which has is a good sealing material. But, a little bit of Permatex ultra gray (or the Toyota red stuff you mentioned above) should seal it if you're worried.

I've never seen Dexcool turn into a jelly, but I have seen it develop crystals in cooling passages and heater cores.
Yes, some manufacturers want you to use their stuff (like Honda blue, or Toyota red), but in reality they all use the same base materials (kind of like oils), then manufacturers tailor them with different chemicals to meet their specs.
Yea, got all the stuff for the car. She just needs to give me time with the car now. I rebuilt the engine in 06 for her and trying to get her to properly maintain it can be a challenge at times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 6th Generation (1988-1992)