2010 Corolla Known Problems? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corolla 10th Gen/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) A place to discuss all things 10th Gen Corolla and 2nd Gen Matrix.

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 04-13-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
New TN User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2010 Corolla Known Problems?

I am looking at a used 2010 Corolla LE with about 100 k miles. I am not overly mechanically savvy but will get a feel from the car by driving it. Are there any known problems with this particular year & trim level? Thanks!
paulmlac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 Old 04-13-2019, 10:16 AM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: irvine
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Thanks: 69
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
No very good car


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
corolapete is offline  
post #3 of 34 Old 04-13-2019, 10:22 AM
Scruffy Nerf Herder
 
K_Watson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,514
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Thanks: 15
Thanked 371 Times in 301 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Water pump... probably not a problem now as it would have failed years ago.

If not ...it's external. Not a overly hard job for the driveway.




Also the passenger airbag is part of the Takata recall.

'13 Corolla S Premium Complete BSP
'01 Camry XLE V6 Black (Her's 06+)
'12 Corolla S w/ Nav MGM (15-16)
'98 Chevy Prizm base Green (06-15)
'97 Camry LE I4 Gold (Her's 03-06)
'85 Pickup SR5 (Family truck 89-18)

Last edited by K_Watson; 04-13-2019 at 10:24 AM.
K_Watson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 34 Old 04-13-2019, 05:38 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I bought an 09 (10 is the same) with a blown motor and put a new motor in it. The steering is very sensitive so I Googled it and found out that in 2009/2010 they have electric steering I don't know about newer years but it can be a handful on the road. It has been very windy the last week and its all I can do to stay between the lines. I won't even let my daughter drive it. My 05 feels lighter is a lot faster and gets better mpg. Overall though I really like the car I like the looks and I like the interior mine is an S model. Radio reception is terrible. Again my 05 picks up everything with zero static.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
dpratt is offline  
post #5 of 34 Old 04-13-2019, 06:12 PM
Scruffy Nerf Herder
 
K_Watson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,514
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Thanks: 15
Thanked 371 Times in 301 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpratt View Post
I bought an 09 (10 is the same) with a blown motor and put a new motor in it. The steering is very sensitive so I Googled it and found out that in 2009/2010 they have electric steering I don't know about newer years but it can be a handful on the road. It has been very windy the last week and its all I can do to stay between the lines. I won't even let my daughter drive it. My 05 feels lighter is a lot faster and gets better mpg. Overall though I really like the car I like the looks and I like the interior mine is an S model. Radio reception is terrible. Again my 05 picks up everything with zero static.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
AFAIK, all 2ZRFE vehicles are electric power steering.
stvotw and Skidoorevxp like this.

'13 Corolla S Premium Complete BSP
'01 Camry XLE V6 Black (Her's 06+)
'12 Corolla S w/ Nav MGM (15-16)
'98 Chevy Prizm base Green (06-15)
'97 Camry LE I4 Gold (Her's 03-06)
'85 Pickup SR5 (Family truck 89-18)
K_Watson is offline  
post #6 of 34 Old 04-13-2019, 06:50 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpratt View Post
I bought an 09 (10 is the same) with a blown motor and put a new motor in it. The steering is very sensitive so I Googled it and found out that in 2009/2010 they have electric steering I don't know about newer years but it can be a handful on the road. It has been very windy the last week and its all I can do to stay between the lines. I won't even let my daughter drive it. My 05 feels lighter is a lot faster and gets better mpg. Overall though I really like the car I like the looks and I like the interior mine is an S model. Radio reception is terrible. Again my 05 picks up everything with zero static.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yes, radio reception sucks! That antenna is pathetic.
I've got a 2006 and 2009 Matrix...steering feel and radio reception were downgraded in the 2009. I found that switching from 16" to 17" wheels helped with highway steering twitchyness
Turdcel is offline  
post #7 of 34 Old 04-13-2019, 07:12 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: irvine
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Thanks: 69
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Any fix on the antenna?
corolapete is offline  
post #8 of 34 Old 04-13-2019, 07:16 PM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Watson View Post
AFAIK, all 2ZRFE vehicles are electric power steering.
What years does that include?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
dpratt is offline  
post #9 of 34 Old 04-13-2019, 11:59 PM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: So. Calif.
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I bought a new 2010 LE in December 2009. After 6 months I was thinking the steering was so bad (hard to keep in the freeway lane) I would have to get rid of it. Then Toyota came out with an update (not a recall; optional, and you had to take in and make the right complaint) which replaced the steering computer (?!?), which required taking the dash apart. That fixed the steering!! So, try it on the highway and make sure it steers in a way that is acceptable to you.

The radio never worked well, and seemed like a poor antenna. The antenna is in the back window and is amplified. After a few years the radio became sensitive to heat (alien petroglyphs on the display; erratic or no controls), and this last winter, sensitive to cold, too. I just replaced it with a Pioneer AVH-210EX someone on this site recommended (or similar model), and with a cheap backup camera, and now it's great!!

The car should have had some airbags replaced, and the gas pedal trimmed, and a computer safety update to kill the throttle if the brake is on (I declined this one), and maybe a door module? So, check which recalls have been installed or make sure they can still be done for free.

[Added on edit] Forgot so say: It's a great, reliable, car, and cheap to operate!!

2010 Corolla LE

Last edited by jake111; 04-14-2019 at 12:02 AM.
jake111 is offline  
post #10 of 34 Old 04-14-2019, 01:28 AM
Diehard Rams Fan
 
SuperchargedMR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 19,744
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Thanks: 721
Thanked 1,327 Times in 1,199 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpratt View Post
I bought an 09 (10 is the same) with a blown motor and put a new motor in it. The steering is very sensitive so I Googled it and found out that in 2009/2010 they have electric steering I don't know about newer years but it can be a handful on the road. It has been very windy the last week and its all I can do to stay between the lines. I won't even let my daughter drive it. My 05 feels lighter is a lot faster and gets better mpg. Overall though I really like the car I like the looks and I like the interior mine is an S model. Radio reception is terrible. Again my 05 picks up everything with zero static.
When I bought my 2009 Corolla S I did 2 things that made a huge difference on the steering and wandering. I upgraded the terrible stock 205/55R16 Goodyear tires with a larger 17" wheels and a better quality 225/45R17 tire. That upgrade combined with a TRD rear sway bar and it transformed the handling and stability of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corolapete View Post
Any fix on the antenna?
The problem isn't the antenna, it's the poor OEM radio. I've upgraded my stock head unit and my radio reception is excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpratt View Post
What years does that include?
From 2009 to 2019 Corolla models.

89 Supercharged White MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S TURBO CSM 5MT
17 Corolla iM CSM 6MT/ 17 RAV4 XLE MGM
95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl
SuperchargedMR2 is offline  
post #11 of 34 Old 04-14-2019, 03:03 AM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Had my 2010 S with 160K on it for about 2 months now and getting to know it better. I thought it was going to be much more scary than it was, coming down to this from a Ford Expedition, but it wasn't that bad! The door skins are high enough, car is comfortable with lots of safety features and although it definitely doesn't get the respect my big SUV did I am beginning to get used to that too, especially now that I'm getting 37 mpg (according to the computer, with mostly highway driving right now) vs the 15-19 I was getting with the Expy.

I am not a fan of the brakes as there is some play before they "catch" which gives it a scary mushy feel sometimes, but this may be due to the master cylinder needing replacement and/or maladjusted rear brake drums, which were recently done before I got it. You may not have that at all.

My steering is just fine and I appreciate it has electric. I can already see how outdated hydraulic is now. Brakes aside, acceleration and handling are decent enough for me and I really enjoy driving the car.

I found a slow crankshaft seal leak on mine I found out is common enough with this engine, but so minor that I'll either live with it (not enough to even leave oil drops right now), put some additive in the oil to condition the seal, or if that doesn't work then change it since it can be accessed through the wheel well and changed easily enough (unlikely I'll do that).

My water pump was already changed, and when they're changed they are upgraded to a much better one so you don't have to worry about that. Even if you did they are super easy to change compared to something else.

I can confirm the cheapness of the stock stereo head unit, the signal can be weak sometimes, the display which has already glitched on me once and I was really disappointed the AUX input doesn't work with my Android phone. I'll be upgrading it ASAP to an Android head unit. The stock speakers are surprisingly GOOD!

Now for my big gripe. There are a lot of these cars with idling issues that have not been solved by anyone, including Toyota. This just started happening lately with the previous owner of mine so it can start happening with 20K or well over 100K. The engine bogs almost to the point of stalling when coming to a stop, and settles out around 600 rpm, a rough idle. After I cleaned my throttle body with high hopes (and it did need cleaning) it didn't solve the problem but it did make it better. It rarely bogs below 600 now and the idle settles to exactly 625, ALMOST smooth but not quite. 650 is the sweet spot it just refuses to stay at.

The problem is nonexistent if you turn on your headlamps or the AC compressor kicks on, which causes the computer to bump up the idle to something much more smooth and absolutely no bog whatsoever. I'm testing some Lucas fuel injector cleaner in the tank right now which I actually got a couple good stops/idles out of since I've been using it (on my 2nd tank of gas) that were not experienced before, and which bumped the mpg up to what it is now. If that doesn't work I'm considering just putting a piece of tape or something over the light sensor on the dash to make the headlamps automatically come on at all times when I turn the key on and off when I turn it off (yes, they are automatic which is cool).

Overall I am very thankful I got the opportunity to get this car and very seriously considering using it for delivery. I wouldn't have dreamed of doing that in anything other than a Toyota, and certainly not in the Expedition!

2010 Corolla S, 160K, Black on Black

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic1188682_1.gif

Last edited by David McClelland; 04-14-2019 at 04:55 AM.
David McClelland is offline  
post #12 of 34 Old 04-14-2019, 08:30 AM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by David McClelland View Post
Had my 2010 S with 160K on it for about 2 months now and getting to know it better. I thought it was going to be much more scary than it was, coming down to this from a Ford Expedition, but it wasn't that bad! The door skins are high enough, car is comfortable with lots of safety features and although it definitely doesn't get the respect my big SUV did I am beginning to get used to that too, especially now that I'm getting 37 mpg (according to the computer, with mostly highway driving right now) vs the 15-19 I was getting with the Expy.



I am not a fan of the brakes as there is some play before they "catch" which gives it a scary mushy feel sometimes, but this may be due to the master cylinder needing replacement and/or maladjusted rear brake drums, which were recently done before I got it. You may not have that at all.



My steering is just fine and I appreciate it has electric. I can already see how outdated hydraulic is now. Brakes aside, acceleration and handling are decent enough for me and I really enjoy driving the car.



I found a slow crankshaft seal leak on mine I found out is common enough with this engine, but so minor that I'll either live with it (not enough to even leave oil drops right now), put some additive in the oil to condition the seal, or if that doesn't work then change it since it can be accessed through the wheel well and changed easily enough (unlikely I'll do that).



My water pump was already changed, and when they're changed they are upgraded to a much better one so you don't have to worry about that. Even if you did they are super easy to change compared to something else.



I can confirm the cheapness of the stock stereo head unit, the signal can be weak sometimes, the display which has already glitched on me once and I was really disappointed the AUX input doesn't work with my Android phone. I'll be upgrading it ASAP to an Android head unit. The stock speakers are surprisingly GOOD!



Now for my big gripe. There are a lot of these cars with idling issues that have not been solved by anyone, including Toyota. This just started happening lately with the previous owner of mine so it can start happening with 20K or well over 100K. The engine bogs almost to the point of stalling when coming to a stop, and settles out around 600 rpm, a rough idle. After I cleaned my throttle body with high hopes (and it did need cleaning) it didn't solve the problem but it did make it better. It rarely bogs below 600 now and the idle settles to exactly 625, ALMOST smooth but not quite. 650 is the sweet spot it just refuses to stay at.



The problem is nonexistent if you turn on your headlamps or the AC compressor kicks on, which causes the computer to bump up the idle to something much more smooth and absolutely no bog whatsoever. I'm testing some Lucas fuel injector cleaner in the tank right now which I actually got a couple good stops/idles out of since I've been using it (on my 2nd tank of gas) that were not experienced before, and which bumped the mpg up to what it is now. If that doesn't work I'm considering just putting a piece of tape or something over the light sensor on the dash to make the headlamps automatically come on at all times when I turn the key on and off when I turn it off (yes, they are automatic which is cool).



Overall I am very thankful I got the opportunity to get this car and very seriously considering using it for delivery. I wouldn't have dreamed of doing that in anything other than a Toyota, and certainly not in the Expedition!
I just fixed my aux port, its super easy. Once out you take the port apart to access the electronic board. I put flux on each solder joint then re-soldered each one adding more solder. Took me 5 minutes. you tube will show you how to get it out. One guy shows a shorter and faster way so look for that one. He mentions it in his video. I think the speakers are pretty good also. Can't wait for a new aftermarket touch screen stereo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
dpratt is offline  
post #13 of 34 Old 04-14-2019, 08:35 AM
New TN User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Note to OP:
I still love the car, every car has some sort of issues. I recommend buying it if you drive it and like it and find no issues while looking it over.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
dpratt is offline  
post #14 of 34 Old 04-14-2019, 08:56 AM
Official TN Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: irvine
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Thanks: 69
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedMR2 View Post
When I bought my 2009 Corolla S I did 2 things that made a huge difference on the steering and wandering. I upgraded the terrible stock 205/55R16 Goodyear tires with a larger 17" wheels and a better quality 225/45R17 tire. That upgrade combined with a TRD rear sway bar and it transformed the handling and stability of the car.



The problem isn't the antenna, it's the poor OEM radio. I've upgraded my stock head unit and my radio reception is excellent.



From 2009 to 2019 Corolla models.

Did you replace your speakers too? Just noticed last week the 2 cheap speakers in the back have tear on it and it has a buzzing sound. I guess its distorted now. The car is still excellent. The radio still playing well with sometimes weak antenna but you mention its the unit and I agree with it. Here is the weird thing I never use the cd and yesterday I put a cd in there. The sound is so perfect no distortion even the back speaker. Strange.
corolapete is offline  
post #15 of 34 Old 04-14-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
New TN User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
OP here with an update & a question...

We looked at the car yesterday. As I mentioned, I am not overly mechanically savvy. However, I have driven enough cars & got a good feel from thoroughly looking it over, testing everything, and our test drive.

We also ran a Carfax. There is no maintenance recorded for the first owner who had it for 21 k miles (perhaps they did their own oil changes). There is regular maintenance recorded for the current owner who had it for 84 k miles.

Basically the car checks out.

We put an offer in. We offered $375 less than KBB value (specific for private sale, the year, trim, options, color, zip code, and good condition). We offered less because the owner only has one key fob and the car needs a deep cleaning. There was gunk / hair in cupholders, etc. I'm a neat freak but kinda gross actually. Anyhow, the seller did not even counter and said he's holding firm on the listed price in Craigslist. He wants $225 more than the KBB value.

We called a dealer & they want $275 for a programmed key fob (might be able to get it for less but it seems like the dealer is the most reliable source from what I read on this forum). An interior detail by a place we trust is $125.

If we buy the car at the seller's price, get the key fob, get the interior detail, we'd be $625 more (+11%) than the KBB value.

Both sides basically walked away.

We might raise our offer to the KBB value. This is still $200 less than seller's price. My guess is he'll say "no". That is based upon how quickly he said "no" yesterday and then saying that he wouldn't even counter.

Interestingly, I can tell from the Craigslist post that he's had the car listed for 17 days and lowered the price 7 days ago.

All that said, any thoughts from the Corolla experts here? I just started the search for this vehicle. My thinking is it's a popular car, so they must hit the resale market reasonably frequently, and it's just a matter of time until the right one comes along.

Thanks!

Last edited by paulmlac; 04-14-2019 at 08:00 PM.
paulmlac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 10th Gen/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013)

Bookmarks

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome