my 2010 Corolla so far - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corolla 10th Gen/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) A place to discuss all things 10th Gen Corolla and 2nd Gen Matrix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-19-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
my 2010 Corolla so far

We bought this car new in 2009, July and over the years have had different knocking sounds fixed in the the front end; One was an obvious problem fixed under warranty, a hub bearing that got sloppy. That was found when we asked about a knocking sound. The knocking sound that happened when crossing bumps did not go away after the hub bearing repair. We complained about it through the entire warranty period and they said they couldn't find it. Some time after the warranty ended, they "found" that the steering column intermediate shaft was the culprit for the knocking. Replacing that ended the noise and the steering improved vastly. Some time after that another knocking sound was found to come from a damaged lower control arm bushing. These kinds of problems never occurred in Our 1986 Corolla and Camry and 1998 Corolla. Some other manufacturers' cars showed owner complaints for knocking sounds that turned out to be from..... steering column intermediate shafts, AHA, and those different models all had electric power steering. In the future I suggest to anyone experiencing the same thing, have the steering column checked, and I hope this saves them from replacing struts and other components that, after all, are NOT at fault, but expensive and time consuming operations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-19-2019, 08:23 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Good advice. I know intermediate steering shafts were a common problem on ~06-08 Rav4s, so they might be a common on other early Toyota models that use EPS too.

2001 Camry LE 2.2L, Black, 146K as of 7/19
Bought 10/16 with 131K

2001 Camry LE 2.2L, Lunar Mist Metallic, 97K as of 7/19
Bought 6/01 brand new
post #3 of 4 Old 06-20-2019, 12:41 AM
Diehard Rams Fan

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2006 Post(s)
Thanked 1,334 Times in 1,204 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by corollacoaster View Post
We bought this car new in 2009, July and over the years have had different knocking sounds fixed in the the front end; One was an obvious problem fixed under warranty, a hub bearing that got sloppy. That was found when we asked about a knocking sound. The knocking sound that happened when crossing bumps did not go away after the hub bearing repair. We complained about it through the entire warranty period and they said they couldn't find it. Some time after the warranty ended, they "found" that the steering column intermediate shaft was the culprit for the knocking. Replacing that ended the noise and the steering improved vastly. Some time after that another knocking sound was found to come from a damaged lower control arm bushing. These kinds of problems never occurred in Our 1986 Corolla and Camry and 1998 Corolla. Some other manufacturers' cars showed owner complaints for knocking sounds that turned out to be from..... steering column intermediate shafts, AHA, and those different models all had electric power steering. In the future I suggest to anyone experiencing the same thing, have the steering column checked, and I hope this saves them from replacing struts and other components that, after all, are NOT at fault, but expensive and time consuming operations.
I haven't heard of this being a big issue on the 10th Get Corolla. Luckily my 2009 has been fine over it's first 100k miles. Thanks for the tip though for anyone that does experience this issue.

89 Supercharged White MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S TURBO CSM 5MT
17 Corolla iM CSM 6MT/ 17 RAV4 XLE MGM
95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-20-2019, 11:35 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by corollacoaster View Post
Unfortunately I think Toyota peaked in the 80s and 90s, though they're still the best choice of car for value and reliability you can buy. Ford also had a big problem with their shaft joints in their best car when it was at its peak, certain of the 03-up Crown Vics. Ironically this was right after it finally got a MacPherson strut suspension and rack and pinion steering. So I don't know that it's just an electric steering thing.

2010 Corolla S, 160K, Black on Black

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic1188682_1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 10th Gen/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013)