Corolla wont turn on??? Any ideas? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corolla 10th Gen/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) A place to discuss all things 10th Gen Corolla and 2nd Gen Matrix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-01-2012, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Corolla wont turn on??? Any ideas?

So basically I woke up one morning, was gonna go to work when I tried to start my corolla nothing happened...tried that couple of times and still nothing ....then couple tries later, you could hear the car try to start but then nothing happens

the check Engine light is on when I try to turn on car

any ideas??

the battery and such seems fine. and I dont recall having any problems before

now even the remote control for the key wont work for the car... -_-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-01-2012, 11:31 PM
not a 4x4

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My first guess is electrical. Do you have HIDs installed? I'd start checking fuses, sounds like one is blown if your remote isn't working. Check your battery, check fuses. Do you have a OBD-II reader?

'10 MGM Corolla S auto | '88 White Supercharged MR2 manual

Borla exhaust | TRD FSB & RSB | Eibach spring | 2500k fogs | HIR lows | Rosen Nav
post #3 of 11 Old 12-01-2012, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyminded42 View Post
My first guess is electrical. Do you have HIDs installed? I'd start checking fuses, sounds like one is blown if your remote isn't working. Check your battery, check fuses. Do you have a OBD-II reader?

Ya I have HIds but they never been a problem though, I had them for like almost 1 and half years

and when the car was like in that "trying to turn on stage" the hids were working

Last edited by I love my Corolla; 12-01-2012 at 11:56 PM. Reason: forgot info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does the car start if you pump the gas pedal repeatedly? If so, check the fuel pressure. I had the same problem with my 1.8L Matrix. It turned out the fuel pump and regulator were bad.

post #5 of 11 Old 12-02-2012, 06:30 PM
TN Senior Citizen

I had a no-start issue with my corolla. Got up one morning hit the key and it just cranked and cranked. Checked the battery ... seemed fine... took battery to Sears and tested fine. Put battery back in car. Checked all electrical connections and fuses... no problems. No start.

Left car overnight with battery disconnected and it started up a bit rough the next morning and then no problems now for weeks. Took it to the dealer and they checked it out for two days straight, no problem at all and it's been starting as usual for weeks now.

I was told by the dealer that every once in awhile they get a car that does this and then never does it again... ever. Hope this is my one shot at this as I lost most of a day of work because of it.

One of the guys at my job was a former import technician with extensive Toyota experience. He said that once in awhile they found a Toyota that would do exactly what mine did and it was the computer programming. It would get lost for awhile and if you left the battery disconnected for a few hours and retry it, it would start. After testing I had left my battery disconnected overnight before hooking it up on Monday to try it before calling the tow truck. It started right up. He went into a big explanation as to why this happened but evidently the Toyota has a program routine that watches how long a car has been shut off and slowly starts shutting different systems off such as radio memory, etc that continually draw power from the battery trying to save the battery for a restart of a car that's left turned off for a long period of time. Evidently the system gets lost as to how long the car has been sitting without being started and starts turning off different systems trying to save the battery before it goes completely dead. In this case it evidently decided (incorrectly) the car had been sitting a long time ( in reality only two days) and shut everything off. Leaving the battery disconnected for overnight as I did forced a reset of the system so when I tried it the next morning it started right up and has been going great ever since. The reason it didn't start up after I removed the battery for testing and reinstalled it was that it was only for about an hour for testing. He said it had to be at least 2 hours or more before it would reset.

No way to tell if this is it, but I'm only passing on what I've been told. The dealer said something similar and that they have only had this happen once with each car with no repeats. Hope they are right!

Brad
2011 Corolla S
Nautical Blue Metallic
2011 RAV4
Light Blue Metallic
post #6 of 11 Old 12-02-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2zrfematrix View Post
Does the car start if you pump the gas pedal repeatedly? If so, check the fuel pressure. I had the same problem with my 1.8L Matrix. It turned out the fuel pump and regulator were bad.

Nope even that dosnt cause it to start lol...the horn dosnt even work...

might take it to my friend who works at toyota to see whats up
post #7 of 11 Old 12-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Diehard Rams Fan

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1932 Post(s)
Thanked 1,327 Times in 1,199 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorollaS2011 View Post
I had a no-start issue with my corolla. Got up one morning hit the key and it just cranked and cranked. Checked the battery ... seemed fine... took battery to Sears and tested fine. Put battery back in car. Checked all electrical connections and fuses... no problems. No start.

Left car overnight with battery disconnected and it started up a bit rough the next morning and then no problems now for weeks. Took it to the dealer and they checked it out for two days straight, no problem at all and it's been starting as usual for weeks now.

I was told by the dealer that every once in awhile they get a car that does this and then never does it again... ever. Hope this is my one shot at this as I lost most of a day of work because of it.

One of the guys at my job was a former import technician with extensive Toyota experience. He said that once in awhile they found a Toyota that would do exactly what mine did and it was the computer programming. It would get lost for awhile and if you left the battery disconnected for a few hours and retry it, it would start. After testing I had left my battery disconnected overnight before hooking it up on Monday to try it before calling the tow truck. It started right up. He went into a big explanation as to why this happened but evidently the Toyota has a program routine that watches how long a car has been shut off and slowly starts shutting different systems off such as radio memory, etc that continually draw power from the battery trying to save the battery for a restart of a car that's left turned off for a long period of time. Evidently the system gets lost as to how long the car has been sitting without being started and starts turning off different systems trying to save the battery before it goes completely dead. In this case it evidently decided (incorrectly) the car had been sitting a long time ( in reality only two days) and shut everything off. Leaving the battery disconnected for overnight as I did forced a reset of the system so when I tried it the next morning it started right up and has been going great ever since. The reason it didn't start up after I removed the battery for testing and reinstalled it was that it was only for about an hour for testing. He said it had to be at least 2 hours or more before it would reset.

No way to tell if this is it, but I'm only passing on what I've been told. The dealer said something similar and that they have only had this happen once with each car with no repeats. Hope they are right!
That's strange as I've had mine sit for over a week with no problems. Good tip if it should happen to others though.

89 Supercharged White MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S TURBO CSM 5MT
17 Corolla iM CSM 6MT/ 17 RAV4 XLE MGM
95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl
post #8 of 11 Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Toyota Fanatic

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Thanked 4,379 Times in 3,130 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Why do you say the battery seems fine? Have you gotten it tested? Sounds like your battery was dead and you killed it even more.

My Toyota List:

1982 Corolla SR-5 1JZGTE M/T
1988 Cressida 5MGE A/T (1JZ Swap Coming)
2005 Corolla CE 1ZZFE M/T
2005 Sequoia Limited 2UZFE A/T

If I helped out in any way please hit the Thanks button under my post.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like a battery. Jump it and rule that out
post #10 of 11 Old 12-19-2012, 02:03 AM
Toyota Fanatic

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2043 Post(s)
Thanked 4,379 Times in 3,130 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Buy a different econobox like an Elantra, or upgrade to a better built vehicle like an Acura TSX or BMW 3-series or MB 2xx.

Come on TACOKID. You go through all of the hoops just to get post on this forum, yet its all for nothing. You come back with more useless posts. If you came here and actually contributed or tried to help that would be different. But if beating the crap out of dead horses were a profession you would likely have monopolized the industry by now.

Do you REALLY think a car not starting (from a dead battery most likely) is a reason to change your entire car. One that you claim to own as well. I really think you should seek professional help. You have a serious underlying problem with being obsessive it seems.

Ill leave this open for your reply.

My Toyota List:

1982 Corolla SR-5 1JZGTE M/T
1988 Cressida 5MGE A/T (1JZ Swap Coming)
2005 Corolla CE 1ZZFE M/T
2005 Sequoia Limited 2UZFE A/T

If I helped out in any way please hit the Thanks button under my post.

Last edited by hardtopte72; 12-19-2012 at 07:39 AM.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-09-2015, 06:02 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2zrfematrix View Post
I had the same problem on repeat gas pedal i could start my 2011 corolla. Now it is running fine. DO i need to take it to toyota service on a safer side? Also, will there be any warranty on fuel pump related faults?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 10th Gen/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013)