oil consumption 2009 corolla and valve trrian noise - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Corolla 10th Gen/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013) A place to discuss all things 10th Gen Corolla and 2nd Gen Matrix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-01-2013, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
oil consumption 2009 corolla and valve trrian noise

I posted a few weeks ago about the 2009 Corolla XE that I purchased from a Toyota dealer with 95,500 miles. Within days a buying the car it began to make a brief loud rattle on cold starts. People on this forum directed me to the VVT and they were right on. The car came with a 60 day warranty so they replaced the timing gear at no cost to me problem solved.

Now several weeks later, last night when I got out of the car with the engine running I heard a pretty loud noise that sounded like one valve very out of adjustment. This morning when I started the car the noise was no longer there but when I checked the oil it was a quart low. I have put about 1800 miles on the car since I bought it and the oil was changed at the dealer right before I bought it. I thought it being low on oil might be causing the noise. I took the car to the dealer and explained everything, the put a quart of oil in it and said to bring it back in about 1000 miles to check it out.

When I got back home the noise was there again so I guess being low on oil wasnít the cause. In terms of oil consumption the service rep said Toyota considers up to 1.1 quarts per 1200 miles to be normal oil consumption. This sounds like a lot to me. Anyone know anything about this?

And in terms of the noise that sounds like a loose valve Iím beginning to think it had something to do with the work they did to replace the timing gear. Any ideas what would make this noise come and go? Doesnít seem to be any relationship to operating temp or how long the engine has been running.

So I guess I have two problems, potentially an oil consumption problem and a intermittent loud noise that I donít like the sound of. My power train warranty expires Nov 19.

And does anyone know if the valves on 2009 are adjustable, the service rep said they were auto adjust?

Thanks in advance and sorry about the length of this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-02-2013, 12:55 AM
Diehard Rams Fan

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Thanked 1,329 Times in 1,201 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
As far as oil consumption that is still considered normal though it's a concern for certain. The manual will list the exact amount & I think it's somewhere in the range of a quart every 800 miles. Check your manual to make sure.

89 Supercharged White MR2 5MT/09 Corolla S TURBO CSM 5MT
17 Corolla iM CSM 6MT/ 17 RAV4 XLE MGM
95 Previa S/C White AT/06 Scion xB MT/10 Prius III Blizzard Pearl
post #3 of 10 Old 11-02-2013, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2355 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
I posted a few weeks ago about the 2009 Corolla XE that I purchased from a Toyota dealer with 95,500 miles. Within days a buying the car it began to make a brief loud rattle on cold starts. People on this forum directed me to the VVT and they were right on. The car came with a 60 day warranty so they replaced the timing gear at no cost to me problem solved.

Now several weeks later, last night when I got out of the car with the engine running I heard a pretty loud noise that sounded like one valve very out of adjustment. This morning when I started the car the noise was no longer there but when I checked the oil it was a quart low. I have put about 1800 miles on the car since I bought it and the oil was changed at the dealer right before I bought it. I thought it being low on oil might be causing the noise. I took the car to the dealer and explained everything, the put a quart of oil in it and said to bring it back in about 1000 miles to check it out.

When I got back home the noise was there again so I guess being low on oil wasnít the cause. In terms of oil consumption the service rep said Toyota considers up to 1.1 quarts per 1200 miles to be normal oil consumption. This sounds like a lot to me. Anyone know anything about this?

And in terms of the noise that sounds like a loose valve Iím beginning to think it had something to do with the work they did to replace the timing gear. Any ideas what would make this noise come and go? Doesnít seem to be any relationship to operating temp or how long the engine has been running.

So I guess I have two problems, potentially an oil consumption problem and a intermittent loud noise that I donít like the sound of. My power train warranty expires Nov 19.

And does anyone know if the valves on 2009 are adjustable, the service rep said they were auto adjust?

Thanks in advance and sorry about the length of this post.
You bought a Corolla, the first year for them this engine was offered (also used in Scion xd). This engine issue is probably one of the reasons the PO got rid of the car. The valves aren't adjustable, by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-03-2013, 08:24 AM
2GR-TC

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is an ECM re-flash for oil consumption.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 10 Old 11-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Got Pyro?

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooser View Post
There is an ECM re-flash for oil consumption.

This makes absolutely NO sense to me at ALL?
The computer does not control oil into the combustion chamber in any way?
Seals / rings prevent oil from getting into the combustion chamber.

How can the computer get oil into the chamber?

Professional Pyro..
No really; I get paid to blow stuff up...
post #6 of 10 Old 11-03-2013, 04:19 PM
2GR-TC

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's complicated. I changes valve overlap time to reduce compression so that not as much blow by occurs. The blow by gets in the crankcase and picks up oil in vapor form and is sucked in the intake through the pcv system. I've done them at work it believe it or not it does fix them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #7 of 10 Old 11-03-2013, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
update

Thanks for all the replies; lots of useful information.

I plan to go back to the Toyota dealer where I bough the car tomorrow and discuss a couple of things with them.

Oil consumption
My Manual say 1.1 qts every 600 miles is still considered normal. Wow canít believe that. Since mine used a qt in 1800 miles I might not be able to make much of a case for high oil consumption. But I did find the TSB on the ECM flash. I agree that it is hard to see how a computer can have anything to do with oil consumption but there are a number of folks out there that had the process done and the oil consumption went away. Worth a try.

Valve Train noise.
The noise is no longer intermittent. The noise is now present as soon as the engine reaches normal operating temp and does not go away until the engine cool back off. I still think this could be related to the work they did on the timing gears a while back. Iíll see what they have to say.

I didnít realize the 2009 had all these potential problems when I bought the car. It was a one owner car originally purchased at the dealer where I bought it and they had all the service records. The previous owner had all the required service done on time and they car seemed well taken care of. I hope these two issues will get resolved before my 100% power train warranty expires on Nov 19.

Iíll update after my visit to the dealer.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-03-2013, 08:45 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How much did you pay for this car?

These cars really aren't all that bad. You should also make sure to have had that water pump replaced with the better one Toyota came out with. They were all defective for this year.

If you continue to have issues, you may try to get your money back and get a new 2013 because they should be dumping all of them for the 2014s. You can also get 0% financing for 5 years. I think that will come out better than having a used car with someone else's problems.

These cars are good. There is someone on this forum with over 200,000 miles on their 2009 corolla.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-08-2013, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
update

Update

Valve train noise

Took car to the dealer and they determined that the timing chain tensioner was falling apart. They replaced it under warranty ( zero cost to me) and the valve train sounds good for now.

Oil Consumption

I mentioned the TSB and the EMC re flash. They hooked up the equipment and determined that it had already been set to what it was supposed to be under the TBS. So I donít expect any change in oil consumption. Only hope is that wasnít topped off correctly from the previous valve train noise repair. I guess I can live with a qt every 1800 miles.

Water pump

They determined that the water pump had not been changed to the updated replacement. So I guess I just watch it and replace when the time comes. Never worked on a Toyota but from looking at my Haynes manual looks like it might not be too bad.

Weird coincidence.

I noticed on the invoice they gave me that they also checked the battery, said it was good. I thought well thatís nice to know. On my way home from the dealer I stopped at a store and when I came out car was completely dead. A couple of lights on the dash that was it. I knew that had disconnected the battery so I tried to clean and tighten the battery connections. No luck. Got a jump and drove to Adv Auto bought a battery and it is fine now.
I need a couple of months with no problems with this car. By the way I paid 9,300 for it.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-14-2013, 03:33 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post

I noticed on the invoice they gave me that they also checked the battery, said it was good. I thought well that’s nice to know. On my way home from the dealer I stopped at a store and when I came out car was completely dead. A couple of lights on the dash that was it. I knew that had disconnected the battery so I tried to clean and tighten the battery connections. No luck. Got a jump and drove to Adv Auto bought a battery and it is fine now.
I need a couple of months with no problems with this car.
It sounds like the dealer is trying to do you right.

The problem may have been the battery or the charging circuit/alternator, have the dealer check that, bring them both receipts and ask what's up with the "good battery" rating? That makes me think it might be a charging problem. Then again a 2009 model year sold in Sep 2008 would make for a 5 year old battery, that's when they go.

I am also thinking your car may have suffered from some late oil changes, in order to rack up so much damage so quickly. I would consider upping the quality and frequency of oil changes for a while.

Last edited by hangfirew8; 11-14-2013 at 03:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hangfirew8 For This Useful Post:
leakyseals (11-14-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Corolla and Matrix Forum > Corolla 10th Gen/2nd Gen Matrix (2009-2013)