Venza Tpms info - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Venza Forum Discussion area for the Toyota Venza, a new crossover sedan vehicle. (2009+ model year)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Canada Venza Tpms info

I installed new rims and winter tires today with TPMS sensors. I expected the TPMS warning light to come on but it did not. I called the dealership and asked if it is possible that the TPMS computer recognized the new sensors but the guy I talked to cannot give me an answer. He actually told me that since the warning light did not come on, then it's a good thing. My concern is that the TPMS in my Venza might not be working at all. Any thoughts?

Btw, I installed Goodyear Ultra Grip, 245/65R17.

I will try to post some pics in the albums.

Last edited by lburton; 04-13-2017 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyronic View Post
I installed new rims and winter tires today with TPMS sensors. I expected the TPMS warning light to come on but it did not. I called the dealership and asked if it is possible that the TPMS computer recognized the new sensors but the guy I talked to cannot give me an answer. He actually told me that since the warning light did not come on, then it's a good thing. My concern is that the TPMS in my Venza might not be working at all. Any thoughts?

I'm confused....(not surprising!) I've been reading a lot about the Venza lately and recently joined this forum. I'm looking at a 2010. Are the tires that come on the Venza not adequate for winter driving? I know the tires are larger than "normal." I really don't want to be switching tires. I live in Michigan and can have brutal winters.
post #3 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Canada Pics

I posted the new winter tires/rims in the Photo Gallery

https://www.toyotanation.com/photos/s.../ppuser/182785
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Canada

Quote:

Did you mean WITHOUT TPMS? If that's the case, the light will come on. It just takes a while. I drove for a few days before the light came on after I installed my winter tires without TPMS.

'13 Venza, V6 AWD
post #5 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idigdirt View Post
I'm confused....(not surprising!) I've been reading a lot about the Venza lately and recently joined this forum. I'm looking at a 2010. Are the tires that come on the Venza not adequate for winter driving? I know the tires are larger than "normal." I really don't want to be switching tires. I live in Michigan and can have brutal winters.
You can check out this tread...if you have the patience: https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=303172

The short answer is winter tires are always better than all seasons in cold temps (because of the softer compound). You may be able to get by with the OEM tires, but winter rubber will give much better traction on ice, snow and even simply cold pavement. Especially important when you need to stop in a hurry.

'13 Venza, V6 AWD

Last edited by robertag; 11-05-2009 at 11:15 AM.
post #6 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Are the tires that come on the Venza not adequate for winter driving? I know the tires are larger than "normal." I really don't want to be switching tires. I live in Michigan and can have brutal winters.
Many of the Venza owners discussing snow tires live in places, like Quebec, where it may be required by local law to drive with snow tires after a certain date. Others prefer the added safety of snow tires in a climate with harsh winter conditions.

If you read other threads you will find differing reports on the competence in snow of the Venza with the standard tires. Some Venza owners have had reported good experiences in snow and others encountered problems on OE tires. I made a point of buying a V6 AWD Venza with the Michelin Latitude tires because these reportedly are better in snow than the Goodyear RSA tires. I do not plan to switch to winter tires, but have no prior experience with my Venza in snow.
post #7 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 01:36 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertag View Post
Did you mean WITHOUT TPMS? If that's the case, the light will come on. It just takes a while. I drove for a few days before the light came on after I installed my winter tires without TPMS.
I don't understand. Why would it take a few days for the light to come on? Is it suppose to work that way? Does that mean you can drive on low air for a few days before the light comes on? On my Camry the sensor turned on right away when I was leaking air.
post #8 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozram View Post
I don't understand. Why would it take a few days for the light to come on? Is it suppose to work that way? Does that mean you can drive on low air for a few days before the light comes on? On my Camry the sensor turned on right away when I was leaking air.
You're comparing no TPMS vs. TPMS and low air pressure. Those are two different situations.

Maybe it takes a few miles in case you need to drive on the spare for a while. It gives you a chance to get the tire fixed before turning on the warning light. Just a guess.

'13 Venza, V6 AWD

Last edited by robertag; 11-05-2009 at 01:49 PM.
post #9 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Neb
Official TN Member

I posted in the winter wheels/tire thread. But mine came on after about 20-30km drive. And it starts flashing for about 30sec then stays lit. It is very random, and somedays it's on right away sometimes it's not on at all. I hope it is normal, I had the same concern you did thinking maybe something is wrong with my venza. But looks like the computer doesnt' check for TPMS all the time.

2009 Venza V6 AWD with Touring package - Blizzard White.
post #10 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 02:27 PM
New TN User

Quote:
You're comparing no TPMS vs. TPMS and low air pressure. Those are two different situations.

Maybe it takes a few miles in case you need to drive on the spare for a while. It gives you a chance to get the tire fixed before turning on the warning light. Just a guess.
Nice!! Toyota technology is awesome. I'm always underestimating the genius of Toyota.
post #11 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Canada

Quote:
I had TPMS installed with the new tires/rims. I guess I will just wait until I have driven a few kilometers/days to find out. I just thought that the warning light will come on right away. If it does come on after a few kilometers/days, then I will have to go to Toyota to have it re-programmed. I was qouted Cdn $100.00.
post #12 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Dr. Toy

When the TPMS light does turn on is it very bright? Can I cover it with a piece of black tape so it won't drive me crazy!!! I will probaly go with the 18" steels without the sensors, I'm just concerned about the light. My Murano used to give the info ion the Nav screen.
Thanks
FG
post #13 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
I had TPMS installed with the new tires/rims. I guess I will just wait until I have driven a few kilometers/days to find out. I just thought that the warning light will come on right away. If it does come on after a few kilometers/days, then I will have to go to Toyota to have it re-programmed. I was qouted Cdn $100.00.
So if your running the TPMS and are concerned about it working, why not just let some air out of a rear tire down to say 25lbs and drive a mile or 2 and see if its detected? It should give you the warning. Simply inflate to proper pressure after checking.

2016 Metallic Gray RAV4 SE AWD
post #14 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameldriver View Post
When the TPMS light does turn on is it very bright? Can I cover it with a piece of black tape so it won't drive me crazy!!! I will probaly go with the 18" steels without the sensors, I'm just concerned about the light. My Murano used to give the info ion the Nav screen.
Thanks
FG
You could, but it probably wouldn't look that good . It's in the middle of the left half of the...er...thing on either side of the "info center". I find it very easy to ignore. Besides, I usually have TC and VSC off, so they also light up.

'13 Venza, V6 AWD
post #15 of 103 Old 11-05-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Canada Update re: TPMS

After driving for about 25 kms, the TPMS warning light came on and stayed lit. I stopped for coffee and when I turned the engine on, the warning light did not come on anymore. I drove for about another 50 kms and it did not come on again ever. Is it possible that the TPMS has recognized the new sensors?

This afternoon, I called another dealership and the guy told me that since the sensor has already been installed in the new rims, they have to take it out again to see the "special" number in it so they can program/register it with the TPMS in my Venza. The qoute was $110 for unmounting and remounting the tires plus $52 for the programming.

I will wait till the warning light comes on again and have it programmed.
Had I only known......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Venza Forum