Venza HID - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Venza Forum Discussion area for the Toyota Venza, a new crossover sedan vehicle. (2009+ model year)

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 240 Old 10-23-2009, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
USA Venza HID

I took a look at the engine compartment yesterday and sad to say, OMG!, there is like no room to put the ballast in! I see a spot next to the headlamp where it seems that the OEM HID ballast would go but I don't really trust putting a velcro on it as I still want to zip tie it to secure it into place.

Anyone? TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 240 Old 10-25-2009, 08:03 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will post some pics of my HID...I spend @4hrs planning and installing the kit.
post #3 of 240 Old 10-25-2009, 11:03 PM
New TN User

what kit did you guys buy? i'm looking for a kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 240 Old 10-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I presume you are talking headlights and NOT fog lights? I can help with the FOGS. They are easy.

Mikie

I WANT A TURBO for my V6 FWD yesterday! I like the V6 very much but must say I fervently miss the kick of a boosted power-band up top. Come on TRD, get one out there tomorrow.
post #5 of 240 Old 10-26-2009, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yes, headlights. But if you have the FOGS, I'd greatly appreciate it as well. I'm planning to that in the future. It seems that our fogs, have a better output than most OEM fogs. Or is it just me?
post #6 of 240 Old 10-26-2009, 07:46 AM
Official TN Member

FOGS are really simple to do. Undo all frontal screws holding up the plastic underpanel. Untwist the H11 bulbs from their sockets (they will be stiff). Replace the H11 socketed HID bulbs but you must make certain to NOT TOUCH the bulbs, fully seat them (a bit of a strong wrist will be needed) into the socket and then twist completely closed. You will find on both sides of the car a single BIG bolt coming outwards towards the fenders to which I chose to attach the igniters to using some washers as shims to preclude contact with the sheet metal. You simply complete the connectors, tie wrap the remaining inches of wire up and out of the way of all possible rubbing surfaces and you are done.

POINT! Make sure you do NOT buy the bullshit XENON HID bulbs having filaments inside them - they are NOT HID equipments. Just another fraudster trying to scam those not informed that HID has NO COILED FILAMENTS inside the envelope and except for the 3000K bulbs, have no surface coloring and are perhaps twice as long as H11, etc. HID uses an ARC between two points - there is no heating of tungsten coils...

POINT TWO - If your car has DRL on the high beam, you can NOT replace the high beams using true HID in them, the DRL system will try to run the HIDs at half power (just an approximation) and this will cause blinking or damage to the igniters... IF DRL is on the low beams in factory NON-HID cars, then this scenario would apply to the Low beams. I do not know which beam the DRL is used on non-HID cars...

As to help on replacing non-factory low beams I can be of no help as my coach was ordered with HID once I sat behind them on my night-time test drive.

Mikie

I WANT A TURBO for my V6 FWD yesterday! I like the V6 very much but must say I fervently miss the kick of a boosted power-band up top. Come on TRD, get one out there tomorrow.
post #7 of 240 Old 02-28-2010, 02:51 PM
New TN User

USA HID Kits Revisited

I see some posts on HID kits here in the forum but I'm looking to get some real life opinions on the various kits out there. If you installed a HID kit, which brand did you install? What temperature bulbs? How well are the ballasts and the kit in general constructed? Where are the parts made (China?). If you have had it for awhile how has it performed? Again, I'm looking for people that have actually installed a kit in their Venza, not looking for links where to buy kits or anything else. The prices of the kits are definitely going down, making them much more affordable. I think I'm like most people that would rather spend a few bucks more for a quality kit than go for the cheapie and have all sorts of problems down the road! Your opinions and input GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Bob
post #8 of 240 Old 02-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
the US venza does not come with HID?
post #9 of 240 Old 02-28-2010, 08:22 PM
New TN User

Not all US Venzas come with HID. When I bought mine...exactly one year ago to the day, HID was not an available option for vehicles being sold here in the NY metro area. I don't know if it''s an available option now. I know Toyota is funny how they make certain options available in certain geographic locations.
post #10 of 240 Old 02-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeylgarcia View Post
the US venza does not come with HID?
yes they do.... although they do not come as a separately orderable option, they come as part of a "pkg"
post #11 of 240 Old 03-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcycle View Post
yes they do.... although they do not come as a separately orderable option, they come as part of a "pkg"
so if ur venza doesnt have HID that means u bought the basic model right?
post #12 of 240 Old 03-01-2010, 04:21 PM
New TN User

My Venza is fully loaded except for the HID, which as I stated originally was not available in the NY metro area. This was one year ago, things may have changed at this time. I had a similar experience when I was purchasing my 2006 4Runner. I wanted a Limited with nav but I wanted a V6. In the northeast all Limited with nav were with V8's and AWD. I had to go to another "territory" to get what I wanted. I went from Long Island down to Virginia to get the truck I wanted. That territory Toyota shipped Limited with nav and also V6 with 2wd/4wd.
post #13 of 240 Old 03-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Venza maniac

I installed a HID Kit through a shop so i wouldnt know the brand to be honest with you, I got a white box with them and the manual in it. About the made in china subject, am sure that pretty much all of them are made there. I got 8000K and from what i have seein in the car, everything is well constructed and connected. so far I've had them for close to 2 months and have no problems with them. We just got a major snow storm, and it rained so in my opinion what i got is good Check out my pictures to see where my ballasts are placed. btw am in Orange County, NY if that matters
post #14 of 240 Old 03-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Official TN Member

I have a lot of experience with aftermarket HID kids. Almost all of the kits are made in China or places like Korea. You won't find any US or Japanese comapnies that make them because aftermarket HID's are illegal in both of those countries. Many places claim that they are made in Japan or USA or that they are Philips brand, but that is not true. There are quite a few different manufacturers that put out aftermarket HID's, and many HID brands are using the same manufacturers but with different labeling.
It is very hard to find a quality kit, but some things to look for are a FULL digital ballast, an integrated ignitor, and a retailer that has been around a while and has good customer service. Some of these companies say they have lifetime warranties, but if you buy from one of these fly-by-night retailers that never answers their phone, what is the point of the warranty?
You have to think realistically about these kits. An expensive set of PIAA or Polarg halogen 55W gas charged bulb will run you about $100 and last about 1-2 years depending on usage. A decent $100 HID kit will put out 3x the light output and last you about the same amount of time.
The point is, you will not find OEM qualify with these aftermarket HID kits, but as long as you get one from a reputable company and the ballast is 100% digital, you should be OK.

Last edited by ISZach; 03-01-2010 at 05:41 PM.
post #15 of 240 Old 03-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It was my understanding, that all aftermarket HID kits that don't say "DOT approved" are illegal for highway use in the US. I could be wrong, and this may vary by state, and by how picky the law enfoecement officers are. I suppose they Chinese may print that n the box, just as they will print SONY on fake memory cards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Venza Forum