Mission: light the cargo area - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Venza Forum Discussion area for the Toyota Venza, a new crossover sedan vehicle. (2009+ model year)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 10-23-2010, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Mission: light the cargo area

Hi everybody,

I looked again yesterday at stuff in the cargo area of the Venza and I convinced myself that it is insane. The little light on the left side is A) not enough B) wrongly placed. What would be nice (like in other older car I own) is a light in the ceiling of the cargo area.

I see 2 obstacles to do that:

1) I'd need a light that will look nice in the ceiling.
2) I would like to route the wire behind the ceiling and down to the left-side switch so the ceiling light operates like the side light (auto-turn off, activated by the front switch, isn't it?) How can I dismantle the fiber ceiling without breaking everything?

Thanks,
jf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-25-2010, 04:07 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflarin View Post
Hi everybody,

I looked again yesterday at stuff in the cargo area of the Venza and I convinced myself that it is insane. The little light on the left side is A) not enough B) wrongly placed. What would be nice (like in other older car I own) is a light in the ceiling of the cargo area.

I see 2 obstacles to do that:

1) I'd need a light that will look nice in the ceiling.
2) I would like to route the wire behind the ceiling and down to the left-side switch so the ceiling light operates like the side light (auto-turn off, activated by the front switch, isn't it?) How can I dismantle the fiber ceiling without breaking everything?

Thanks,
jf
I agree that the light on the left side is a Very weird place to put a light unless they also had it on the right side too.

If you open your trunk and gently pull off the blackseal on top of the car where it meets the top part of the car and the ceiling. that should give you room to snake and pull the wires through w/out pulling off the roof.
If you have a snake you can run the snake torward the left side of the car and pick it up if you pull off the panel where Venza gives you to change the brake lights in the back you should easily be able to run many wires through.

Please keep me updated on any progress and any questions you have.
If you would want ill pull mine off and show pics of what it would look like w/the blackseal off.

Last edited by caretaker12; 10-25-2010 at 04:13 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-25-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by caretaker12 View Post
Please keep me updated on any progress and any questions you have.
If you would want ill pull mine off and show pics of what it would look like w/the blackseal off.

Thanks,

I just did pull it off and found out about the 3 plastic disk on the ceiling. Those are the pins holding the ceiling in place. I guess that I can remove them by inserting a long-nose pliers in the crack openned by removing the blackseal.

Next step will be to build a mock-up of led to verify how many leds (and how much current) I have to use to get reasonable lighting.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted of my result (in a few weeks...)

jf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-25-2010, 06:27 PM
New TN User

I wouldn't start to pull off the ceiling. cause you never know if there are any other places that the ceiling is connected too.
post #5 of 17 Old 10-27-2010, 03:44 PM
New TN User

If you are willing to do a little wiring you could attach a simple LED light strip to the underside of the cargo cover, install a simple quick disconnect, power it from the 12 volt lighter socket with a switch of your choice mounted wherever you like (next to the 12 volt socket, nearer to the tailgate, whatever) so that when you open the hatch you simply flick the switch and light up the cargo area whether the cargo cover is open or closed. You could do the same with smaller LED lights available at Radio Shack and install them flush on either side of the cargo area or above it. An alternative would be power the LEDs from the rear map lights and snake the wire under the roof liner with a hanger (no need to drop the liner) and install them flush at the very back of the roof liner so that thy come on with the interior lights.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood619 For This Useful Post:
CrazyBiker (05-15-2013), jflarin (10-27-2010)
post #6 of 17 Old 10-27-2010, 08:34 PM
New TN User

... or buy a flashlight
post #7 of 17 Old 10-29-2010, 12:28 PM
New TN User

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood619 View Post
If you are willing to do a little wiring you could attach a simple LED light strip to the underside of the cargo cover, install a simple quick disconnect, power it from the 12 volt lighter socket with a switch of your choice mounted wherever you like (next to the 12 volt socket, nearer to the tailgate, whatever) so that when you open the hatch you simply flick the switch and light up the cargo area whether the cargo cover is open or closed. You could do the same with smaller LED lights available at Radio Shack and install them flush on either side of the cargo area or above it. An alternative would be power the LEDs from the rear map lights and snake the wire under the roof liner with a hanger (no need to drop the liner) and install them flush at the very back of the roof liner so that thy come on with the interior lights.

I think, that when i will add lights to the cargo area. I might put 2 LED strips on the right and left side of the window by the window sill.
So, you wont have to be bothered by the light being on while your driving you can run the wire down the left side to connect it to the Cargo light that automatically goes on when the door is opened.

Last edited by caretaker12; 10-29-2010 at 12:42 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-05-2011, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Canada light added

Hi,

here is the result of the added light. First, here is before the light (well, it's turned off...)

The camera enhanced the image: in reality it is darker than it seems on the picture. Now with the cargo light added:

Much better! As you can see, the picture exposure was much shorted, leading to a sharper picture, indicating much more light.

jf
The Following User Says Thank You to jflarin For This Useful Post:
nhcycle (02-05-2011)
post #9 of 17 Old 02-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Hi,

here is the result of the added light. First, here is before the light (well, it's turned off...)

The camera enhanced the image: in reality it is darker than it seems on the picture. Now with the cargo light added:

Much better! As you can see, the picture exposure was much shorted, leading to a sharper picture, indicating much more light.

jf
You have that MUCH stuffs in the trunk?

Really, the over light makes much more sense. Maybe the Toyota engineers never look for anything in the trunk
post #10 of 17 Old 02-05-2011, 12:07 PM
New TN User

Great. Next: clean up the mess
post #11 of 17 Old 02-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMRK View Post
... or buy a flashlight
Works for me on the rare occasion I need a bit more light.

2016 Metallic Gray RAV4 SE AWD
post #12 of 17 Old 02-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Senior TN Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
jf,

what did you find for a light assy?
post #13 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcycle View Post
jf,

what did you find for a light assy?
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/car-whi...t-dc-12v-45905

8$ shipped from Hong-Kong. It is 42 white leds. It is cheap, in both senses of the term.

Regarding junk, I'd like to point out that A) it is my wife's car, B) we were coming back from Grandma's house so we had the children's luguage C) we USE our Venza. There is no point in having a large trunk if you don't fill it up once in a while...

I admit I could (should) have take the picture in my garage while it was empty, but my camera is broken, so I had to borrow Grandma's...

jf
post #14 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:

8$ shipped from Hong-Kong. It is 42 white leds. It is cheap, in both senses of the term.

Regarding junk, I'd like to point out that A) it is my wife's car, B) we were coming back from Grandma's house so we had the children's luguage C) we USE our Venza. There is no point in having a large trunk if you don't fill it up once in a while...

I admit I could (should) have take the picture in my garage while it was empty, but my camera is broken, so I had to borrow Grandma's...

jf
We're just joking about your stuffs in the trunk. We really do appreciate you sharing the light option with us.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

jf
Great job jf. Could you explain exactly what you did to install the light?

2010 V6 AWD Golden Umber Mica - Nav, Sunroof, LX, Valley Hitch, Weather Tech Mats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Venza Forum