Trying to change low beams - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Venza Forum Discussion area for the Toyota Venza, a new crossover sedan vehicle. (2009+ model year)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 Old 03-24-2012, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Trying to change low beams

I was searching all over the Internet on google and Toyotanation forum even Venza.org, I could not find any thing on how to change bulbs for the Venza with oem hids. Does any one know how to access the bulb? I cant figure out how to open up the back cover. Since one of my bulbs burnt, might as well change it.

Also does The Venza use DRL led bulbs on high beam without a resistor or decoder? Because I will soon be receiving my bulbs and I know some cars require a resistor/decoder.

Venza 2010 v6 - 2011-pres.
4Runner 2006 SE v6 - 2013-pres.
Corolla 2001 - 2009-pres.
Camry 1999 i4 - 2011-2014
Camry 1999 v6 - 2008-2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 08-11-2012, 12:02 AM
New TN User

To your first question, I was browsing some eBay postings on Venza HID headlight units and the pictures seem to show that the access to the bulb is from the side, not from the back unlike halogen units.

Here's one of them: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2009-2010-201...9#ht_500wt_950
post #3 of 59 Old 08-11-2012, 05:11 AM
Green Eyed Monster

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Garage
LED DRL's

To answer your 2nd question, not that I could find. I recently ordered LED replacement bulbs for my DRL/Highbeam (HB3 9005), Low beam (H11) and switchback amber/white (3157) for running light/turn signals and from what I found, you only need the load resistors for the turn signals to avoid hyper flash.

I am taking a little chance replacing everything with LED, because they are half the lumens as the halogens, but most of my night driving is in the city which is pretty well lit. I think they will look much better as I ordered 6000K which is pure white. I ordered them from China so I paid like $40 bucks for everything with free shipping, if they don't work out, oh well.

Once I get them, I plan on posting some half and half as well as full replacement photos.

My Customized Venza

35% Tints/K&N Intake/Tint Head-Tails/Billet Grille/MagnaFlow CatBack/22" Asantis/265-40R22/Megan Coilovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 Old 08-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcc View Post
Since one of my bulbs burnt, might as well change it.
What bulbs are you planning on using as replacements, just curious? I have a RX350BX retrofit in my Toyota Tundra and I am running the Osram CBI 5000K bulbs. I really got used to the color and now my factory Venza HIDs just look too yellow.

Once you figure out how to change out the bulbs I would be curious to know how to as well as I may consider changing the bulbs. Looks like the access to the bulbs is just a matter of removing the ballast, judging by that ebay link pic.
post #5 of 59 Old 08-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lburton View Post
To answer your 2nd question, not that I could find. I recently ordered LED replacement bulbs for my DRL/Highbeam (HB3 9005), Low beam (H11) and switchback amber/white (3157)
I'm interested to see how you like the LEDs for your drl/high. I really want to get rid of my halogens, but you'll lose your highs (which I've never yet used) when you replace them with led.

Did you get 3157ck switchbacks? If you get the regular 3157's you'll blow the fuse - unfortunately I know this from personal experience

Also, did you get LEDs for the low beams? If you did they'll look great but likely won't have adequate output. But as you said, for $40 shipped its worth trying.

I look forward to the comparison photos!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

post #6 of 59 Old 08-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcc View Post

Also does The Venza use DRL led bulbs on high beam without a resistor or decoder? Because I will soon be receiving my bulbs and I know some cars require a resistor/decoder.
I'm not sure I completely understand this question. Do you have a 2013, with oem led drls? If so (and they flash when you turn) they need load resistors but will be integrated from the factory.

What Iburton said above is correct. If you change any bulb that flashes, to LED (from halogen), you need a load resistor or LED flasher module. I personally recommend load resistors.

Last edited by bigcsorren; 08-14-2012 at 09:10 AM.
post #7 of 59 Old 08-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Green Eyed Monster

Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcsorren View Post
Did you get 3157ck switchbacks?
Also, did you get LEDs for the low beams?
I noticed the ck option on the site you posted, but the one that I ordered from did not have it. It had you go thru the year, make, model... and then came up with the bulbs. The p/n of the switchbacks does not have "ck" in it so they may not be right. I will try them, but I'll make sure I have a replacement fuse on hand first! Do you recall the amps of that fuse?

And yes, I did get LED's for my low beams as well. Like I said, I was mostly going for looks as where I usually drive, I really don't even need headlights. If they don't work out, oh well, lesson learned.

My Customized Venza

35% Tints/K&N Intake/Tint Head-Tails/Billet Grille/MagnaFlow CatBack/22" Asantis/265-40R22/Megan Coilovers
post #8 of 59 Old 08-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
The p/n of the switchbacks does not have "ck" in it so they may not be right. I will try them, but I'll make sure I have a replacement fuse on hand first! Do you recall the amps of that fuse?

And yes, I did get LED's for my low beams as well. Like I said, I was mostly going for looks as where I usually drive, I really don't even need headlights. If they don't work out, oh well, lesson learned.
It was a 10 Amp fuse located in the footwell of the drivers seat. The fuse controls the ambers when your headlights are on and the tail lights when your lights are on. I blew this fuse the day I got my Venza and didn't realize. We drove for approximately 6 months with no tail lights (brake lights still worked) and no front ambers which I liked (front turn signals still worked though).

If you end up not liking the LED's in the low beams, check out Morimoto HID's. They are very close to OEM quality and reliability. They sell for $150 + shipping on their website, but they also have them listed on ebay with a "best offer" option. I was able to get them for $125 shipped and I'm very happy. I did use a relay harness (I feel its better to be overly cautious), and they really are simple to install. Get the + directly from the battery and use something existing for the ground, then plug everything together.

Last edited by bigcsorren; 08-12-2012 at 06:26 PM.
post #9 of 59 Old 08-12-2012, 11:03 PM
New TN User

Quote:
It was a 10 Amp fuse located in the footwell of the drivers seat. The fuse controls the ambers when your headlights are on and the tail lights when your lights are on. I blew this fuse the day I got my Venza and didn't realize. We drove for approximately 6 months with no tail lights (brake lights still worked) and no front ambers which I liked (front turn signals still worked though).

If you end up not liking the LED's in the low beams, check out Morimoto HID's. They are very close to OEM quality and reliability. They sell for $150 + shipping on their website, but they also have them listed on ebay with a "best offer" option. I was able to get them for $125 shipped and I'm very happy. I did use a relay harness (I feel its better to be overly cautious), and they really are simple to install. Get the + directly from the battery and use something existing for the ground, then plug everything together.
what about fogs? Have you upgraded them? If so, did you buy a separate Morimoto Kit for it? Or did you buy something else? is there a way to run the fogs from the low beams? (I'm guessing not?) What about the stock running lights/ high beam? Is it even worth messing with them?
post #10 of 59 Old 08-13-2012, 02:05 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntot View Post
what about fogs? Have you upgraded them? If so, did you buy a separate Morimoto Kit for it? Or did you buy something else? is there a way to run the fogs from the low beams? (I'm guessing not?) What about the stock running lights/ high beam? Is it even worth messing with them?
I have looked extensively into everything on your list.

1. Fog lights - I originally wanted hid's for my fogs.

The first issue I faced was which color to get. I was interested in matching my fogs to my 5K HID low beams. Obviously, I wanted to do this for looks. I spoke with others (from the Camry forum) who had performed this modification. I found that 3k is the best color for the fog lights, with the second best being 4300k. Anything higher may actually make it more difficult to see when it's foggy out, due to the light reflecting off of the water beads.

The second issue with installing HIDs in the fogs is the fact that they put out so much light, they actually decrease the length of visibility.

The third problem is unless you retrofit projectors into your fogs with cut offs, you will blind oncoming drivers. If you decide to go this route, buy Morimoto Mini's as your first choice. That advertise they they put out as much light as stock headlight HID's. If these don't fit get the Morimoto Matchboxes.

All things considered, if you want to do anything beneficial to your fogs, I'd throw in some 3k halogens. The stock automotive bulbs operate at around 3200k. EDIT: - If you're going for the "white look" and aren't concerned with output, I'd recommend H11 LED replacements.

The drl/high beam bulbs:

You have two options. The first is to put a 9005 or equivalent LED in. They will look great during the day, but your hi beams won't work.

Your other option is to swap out the stock halogens for something that is brighter/whiter. I've been eyeing up some sylvania silver star ZXE's. They are supposed to put out close to 4300k. This will provide nice white light, but their output is likely closer to stock. Also to achieve this white look they tint the bulbs blue. Because of this they tend to fail prematurely. (usually right around the 1 year mark. If its sooner some companies will replace them for free.)

You asked if there is a way to run the drls (from) the low beams. Of course there is. You can either tap into the low beam wires and run them to the fogs, or you could just turn the switch on If you are looking to run you fogs independently of the low beams, I think it can be done, but I'm not sure how.

Last edited by bigcsorren; 08-13-2012 at 08:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigcsorren For This Useful Post:
suntot (08-13-2012)
post #11 of 59 Old 08-13-2012, 04:02 AM
Green Eyed Monster

Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
I recently ordered LED replacement bulbs for my DRL/Highbeam (HB3 9005), Low beam (H11) and switchback amber/white (3157) for running light/turn signals...
I forgot to say I also ordered fog light (H11) LED replacements as well. I want to have everything up front nice and white!

My Customized Venza

post #12 of 59 Old 08-13-2012, 11:53 PM
New TN User

Thanks for the input. Seems like you have done some homework. I think I will go for some LED's for the fogs. Here in AZ, we never see fog. I might do the same for the dlr's as I rarely use high beams. My Venza does not have the stock HID, but I want to convert them. It seems like a lot of people recommend Morimoto. Do you guys know if these come with some sort of projectors? A kit that I bought for my last car came with projectors, and after adjusting them, cars didn't 'flash me'.

By the way, what LED's do you recommend for fogs/dlr's?

Quote:
I have looked extensively into everything on your list.

1. Fog lights - I originally wanted hid's for my fogs.

The first issue I faced was which color to get. I was interested in matching my fogs to my 5K HID low beams. Obviously, I wanted to do this for looks. I spoke with others (from the Camry forum) who had performed this modification. I found that 3k is the best color for the fog lights, with the second best being 4300k. Anything higher may actually make it more difficult to see when it's foggy out, due to the light reflecting off of the water beads.

The second issue with installing HIDs in the fogs is the fact that they put out so much light, they actually decrease the length of visibility.

The third problem is unless you retrofit projectors into your fogs with cut offs, you will blind oncoming drivers. If you decide to go this route, buy Morimoto Mini's as your first choice. That advertise they they put out as much light as stock headlight HID's. If these don't fit get the Morimoto Matchboxes.

All things considered, if you want to do anything beneficial to your fogs, I'd throw in some 3k halogens. The stock automotive bulbs operate at around 3200k. EDIT: - If you're going for the "white look" and aren't concerned with output, I'd recommend H11 LED replacements.

The drl/high beam bulbs:

You have two options. The first is to put a 9005 or equivalent LED in. They will look great during the day, but your hi beams won't work.

Your other option is to swap out the stock halogens for something that is brighter/whiter. I've been eyeing up some sylvania silver star ZXE's. They are supposed to put out close to 4300k. This will provide nice white light, but their output is likely closer to stock. Also to achieve this white look they tint the bulbs blue. Because of this they tend to fail prematurely. (usually right around the 1 year mark. If its sooner some companies will replace them for free.)

You asked if there is a way to run the drls (from) the low beams. Of course there is. You can either tap into the low beam wires and run them to the fogs, or you could just turn the switch on If you are looking to run you fogs independently of the low beams, I think it can be done, but I'm not sure how.

Last edited by suntot; 08-14-2012 at 12:07 AM.
post #13 of 59 Old 08-13-2012, 11:54 PM
New TN User

make sure to show us some pics when you put them on...

Quote:
I forgot to say I also ordered fog light (H11) LED replacements as well. I want to have everything up front nice and white!
post #14 of 59 Old 08-14-2012, 03:08 AM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntot View Post
Thanks for the input. Seems like you have done some homework. I think I will go for some LED's for the fogs. Here in AZ, we never see fog. I might do the same for the dlr's as I rarely use high beams. My Venza does not have the stock HID, but I want to convert them. It seems like a lot of people recommend Morimoto. Do you guys know if these come with some sort of projectors? A kit that I bought for my last car came with projectors, and after adjusting them, cars didn't 'flash me'.

By the way, what LED's do you recommend for fogs/dlr's?
Morimoto doesn't sell kit that includes lenses, but the retrofit source sells everything you could want.

My advice? Just try your HID's (get 35w, you will have problems w/ 50) with the stock halogen lenses and leave the squirrel spotters in place. (yes I said it ) See how you like it. I bet you'll have excellent output and won't blind anyone.

For LED's I always recommend vleds. They are expensive, but have excellent quality and output.

Last edited by bigcsorren; 08-14-2012 at 09:17 AM.
post #15 of 59 Old 08-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Green Eyed Monster

Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
The p/n of the switchbacks does not have "ck" in it so they may not be right...
bigcsorren, on the site I ordered my switchbacks from, they had a wiring diagram:

Comparing this to another diagram I found:

I find these are standard. The difference is that the ground and amber +12v (or HIGH) are switched across the diagonal.

Where I work, we use a lot of SMD LED's on PCB's so I am going to take the bulb assemblies to work when I get them and see if it will be possible to rebuild them in the CK configuration. If this is not possible, I will have to toss them and buy CK versions. The only CK's I have found are the V-LED's, so I may end up spending more on just those than I did for everything originally!

My Customized Venza

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Venza Forum