The Venza Rattle Thread and Possible Solutions - Page 4 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Venza Forum Discussion area for the Toyota Venza, a new crossover sedan vehicle. (2009+ model year)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 78 Old 09-23-2012, 03:34 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgtxdi View Post
Sigh.....I bring yet another (unless someone else here has heard this one) noise to the party.

The wife (who would rather not tell me these things anyway) told me there's something on the passenger side. I take the car for a drive. The passenger seat was making an atrocious noise but I grabbed the tilt handle and let the seat tilt up a smidge and it was gone. (maybe stuck between positions or something)

Then I noticed the ceiling was making noise. Went back, had her drive me around and it's somewhere between the passenger grab handle and the right edge of the moon roof opening. Sliding back the cover exposes the noise even more.

If anybody else has heard this one, I'd love to hear about it. And as much as I've taken apart already, I ain't up to pulling this headliner down, especially with the complexity of the moon roof at boot, so back to the dealer we go yet again!
Is the ride ruff or smooth? Any problems with the tires or suspension? Any accidents? Does the engine run ruff or smooth? Does the engine shake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 78 Old 09-23-2012, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
None of that stuff. It's as smooth as an I-4 Venza gets, just something in the inside of the headliner that makes a noise as if something is loose up there. When you slide open the upholstered moonroof shade, you can hear the volume of the noise go up but I suspect getting to where the problem lies would entail dropping the headliner as I can't make it stop by pushing at any point in the headliner itself. Nor does pulling on the passenger grab handle help, though it sounds closer to that side than the moonroof side.

1998 Camry 2.2L auto. 195,000 "mostly" trouble-free miles. Recently tuned up and still purrs.
1995 Geo Prizm 1.6L. 165,000 "mostly" trouble-free miles. (need to sell soon)

2011 Venza 2.7L. 9,000 miles wondering if there ever was an NVH crew assigned to Venza
The Following User Says Thank You to redgtxdi For This Useful Post:
lpatrick (09-23-2012)
post #48 of 78 Old 09-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Since it is still under warranty I would take it the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 78 Old 09-25-2012, 05:05 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I build this build this vehicle in ky. I drive a 5 series BMW that has way to many squeaks and rattles.The best cars we ever built were late 80s early 90s.Same for the bimmers I have owned.Its partly because of cafe standards.The buying public want bigger cars and the government wants better gas mileage (cafe standards).Thus you have a major stretch of the car.On a smaller note felt between plastic cost money a stock value over rules you getting a rattle squeak free car.When Dr Toyoda ran this company the car came first and the profits would follow.Now?? the American way it's reversed!
post #50 of 78 Old 09-25-2012, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for coming here and saying so. I'm still a little underwhelmed with Kentucky's performance so far based on my own findings as well as those explained to me by the local FTS, but I agree....... Toyota shoulders 90% of this quality blame as they are the ones not properly vetting these cars and knowingly letting them be sold.

It is almost, literally a weekly experience that I find this vehicle's interior making noises that endlessly befuddle me. The interior headliner noise went away for a day, though tonight I think I've narrowed it down to a lamination problem between the headliner and the roof itself. By repeatedly pressing and releasing the headliner between the passenger grab handle and the moonroof's front corner, I *think* I am able to reproduce the noise. It sounds like something adhesive is not so well adhered anymore, but I am going to track it as compressing it definitely agitates it.

Once I am certain, I will post my best solution for it in case anyone else has it. (I'll also post video of the noise asap) I'd really rather my dealer not drop my headliner if I can, at all, prevent it.

1998 Camry 2.2L auto. 195,000 "mostly" trouble-free miles. Recently tuned up and still purrs.

2011 Venza 2.7L. 9,000 miles wondering if there ever was an NVH crew assigned to Venza
post #51 of 78 Old 10-16-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior TN Member

(Thread Starter)
The dreaded ARM REST!!!!!

This is for all those who wonder how many mice are living in the arm rest/center console of their Venza. It's not mice, it's just cheap, uninsulated plastic. I have put together my best effort at eliminating the creaks/squeaks/pops/crackles/rattles that come from this thing. Hopefully this helps someone else too..........

First, it's pretty easy to access the problem zones. 7 screws noted below. (Note, I had already removed the inner here but you get the gist). Once the screws are removed, the inner will separate from the lid with just a little tugging.....

Here's what you'll see once that's removed.....

It looks like a lot of felt.....and it is.....but this is after about 3 incremental waves of R & R'ing, adding felt & repeating...... until I "felt" (no pun) it was good enough and was reaching diminishing returns.......

Most notably, I concentrated my efforts on "high points" or "points of contact" between the sandwiched layers. At times it feels like the thing "creaks" on its own, but it's a busy little console (overly & unnecessarily so as I feel the "sliding" function serves little to no purpose, imho and this thing could be a silently hinged lid otherwise) with lots of plastic on plastic to make noise against.....

In the last 2 pics I'm only showing 1 side of the U-shaped piece but it goes without saying to repeat the application of felt to both sides uniformly as they're pretty much a mirror of eachother.

The results??? Well......because the console is more than just the lid and because some parts can't be felted due to their movement, I have to say it's not perfect....BUT.....it is significantly better. Is it worth the work involved? I dunno. I'm sure I'm a candidate for a padded (felt?) room by now but my Camry & F-150 are always there to reaffirm my faith in a quality interior when I question what I'm doing to this car & why.

Time for something cold to drink........

EDIT for a couple additional notes ------------------

Here are the only 2 places I put felt on the inside of the lid itself. After matching the parts up & looking closely it appeared this could be a contact "high point" and probably best insulated at the lid rather than the insert. The circled pink parts are the 2 places I put felt..........

And then, as I forgot I had done it initially, there is not a lot of room to remove the lower 4 screws with the lid simply tilted back open. So, I noticed there's a little tab at the rear of the lid which you can reach from the inside which will allow you to extend the lid so you can shove something between the lid & base (note my pink circled "dash duster" so as not to scratch the faux carbon fiber/wood) which will keep it up while you unscrew and give you more room down on those lower 4 screws....

Last edited by redgtxdi; 10-19-2012 at 11:08 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redgtxdi For This Useful Post:
lpatrick (10-18-2012), PRNDL (10-18-2012)
post #52 of 78 Old 10-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Thumbs up Thanks

I'd just like to take a moment to thank you for your tireless pursuit of those annoying squeaks and rattles found in our Venzas. The fact that you find them and then offer solutions with detailed pics and videos posted here is to be commended. It's truly a resource for everyone on this board.

Thanks again!!

2019 Highlander XLE AWD
2018 Honda CRV EXL AWD
post #53 of 78 Old 10-19-2012, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks much! I truly do hope it helps!!

And because, after re-reading through, I realized I missed a couple helpful points (a way to hold the lid open & extended and a couple more high points to insulate), I just added a little more to the end.

And, if it matters, I got my felt from a combination of Michael's craft store (sheets of felt and spongy rubber stuff) and Amazon (1mm x 3/4" adhesive felt roll).

Maybe I should put together a "New Venza Owner's Kit" with all this stuff in it and propose it to Toyota.

The Following User Says Thank You to redgtxdi For This Useful Post:
lpatrick (10-20-2012)
post #54 of 78 Old 11-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
My car developed a rattle coming from the rear passenger seat area. I tried your rear seat fix with no effect. What I found is if you lower both rear seats and reach under each seat there 2 hard plastic cables crossing each other (probably used for lowering & or reclining). I taped a wide piece of velcro over the lower cable where it crossed (touched) the upper cable under both rear seats.....no more rattle.

2019 Highlander XLE AWD
2018 Honda CRV EXL AWD
post #55 of 78 Old 11-14-2012, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Awesome. Wife's out & about right now but will definitely do the same to mine. (Lord knows I have enough felt ). Doubly covered is cheap insurance!

post #56 of 78 Old 11-20-2012, 05:04 PM
New TN User

I have the same problem too, Its been 2 months since I bought a 2009 Venza and it started rattling.....It sounds like its coming from the steering or somewhere around it but still can't figure out.
post #57 of 78 Old 01-06-2013, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Here's a suggestion for the speaker grills as I was recently troubleshooting a dash/windshield rattle which I will post immediately after this. However, I want to show this as I think it may truly help.

If you notice in the pic below, I've wrapped the stem where little white clips are mounted (or should be) in your venza speaker grills. These grills a located by several locations and I got to thinking that if the plastic tolerances in this thing are that sloppy anyway, it probably doesn't help to fight rattles when the grill can't find a single "home" and can rattle against multiple locations fighting for dominance.

I've thoroughly insulated the rest of these grills with felt (along with my dealer) and there are no lack of locating/retaining contact points so you won't have to worry about it lifting out. This way the 2 clip locations basically float free and if they do touch anything, wrapped felt awaits. So the grill should find a soft, noiseless home in the perimeter which should optimize results.

Below is another pic I have of when I found a clip missing some months ago. I think the dealer may have been onto something. I would NOT recommend the excessive felting they performed in this pic as those sheets of felt don't really touch anything. It's all about contact points. This photo is just to show what one of those white clips looks like.....

post #58 of 78 Old 01-06-2013, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok, here is the latest for me and has developed only recently. *I noticed a ticking rattle coming from the base of the windshield sometimes drivers side, sometimes center, that I strongly believe is related to TSB0141-10. *Reason I believe so is because it is deep in the dash, does not stop with speaker grill removed nor when I push down in the entire area of the dash. * It's either that or something at the upper firewall, but it's significant and annoying as all get out.

15,000 mile idiot light just came on and so dealer will be getting car with instructions to definitively fix that and the driver window rattle which will just not go away no matter how much felt goes between channel rubber and door top (as FST advised me to try). *I will need them to list the "find" and the "fix" or else they will be keeping the car.

I hope they fix this and I hope to provide answers here.

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...-6-4-10-a.html

post #59 of 78 Old 02-22-2013, 06:27 PM
New TN User

No rattles so far

I have a 2011 Venza with only 16k km on it and so far the only rattle I have heard was from the rear cover that hides your groceries etc. So far so good. The other vehicle I have is a 2004 Audi A4 Avant 3.0. Bought it new and no rattles or noises at all with 110 k km on it. Runs as good as the day it rolled out of the showroom. I hope this Venza stays quiet and trouble free otherwise it gets traded in on another Audi.
post #60 of 78 Old 10-25-2013, 11:16 PM
Venza with a mean eyebrow!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgtxdi View Post
Well, bummer to hear you couldn't work it out. I can't say I blame you, but still too bad. Hopefully your Camry rocks!

In the meantime, I've got a quick & easy one for folks who hear their back seats rattle. On the passenger side, pop your seat forward and take a gander under that little flap that falls forward with the seatback itself........

Where those red arrows point, if you follow those channels down, you'll notice that on the passenger side, the feet attached at the bottom, hit metal body. There's a rubber mat along that slope all the way acrossed the car and on the driver's side, they hit the rubber mat so no worries. But on the passenger side, especially if the seat is empty, it can rattle. Here's the solution.......

Find the farthest outside contact point (foot) which is outside of those 2 I point to above. You will see a contact foot which touches a tab that is much higher and easier to reach. Simply put your buffer of choice (see my little 1/2" square piece of felt) between the plastic and that metal tab and that will silence that spot as well as keep the lower 2 feet from hitting the body. Or you could obviously put some on every point, but I found this one spot to take care of it all.

Hope that helps!!
Thanks for the post. I just fixed my rear passenger rattle.

2013 Venza V6 AWD Touring+JBL system, blizzard pearl w/ black interior
The Following User Says Thank You to ilovemytoyota88 For This Useful Post:
DanielAcosta (10-26-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Venza Forum