Footwell Lighting install - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Venza Forum Discussion area for the Toyota Venza, a new crossover sedan vehicle. (2009+ model year)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 12-17-2012, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Footwell Lighting install

Having bought our 2010 Venza a couple months ago and coming from a VW Touareg, my wife has missed having the footwells being lit up when the headlights are on. Went on a search to find a solution that would be acceptable to add footwell lights to the Venza. Decided on trying a very inexpensive way to add the lighting and purchased a 3-LED strip that is adhesive on the back.

Like this:

I wired the lights to the LED's that are in the console/armrest area and routed the wire along the console to the front passenger footwell and installed the light. Used simple wire taps to wire it in and am happy with the results. Sorry for the crappy phone pics, can never get accurate lighting color to come through. Looks bluer than it really is.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VdubTX For This Useful Post:
bigcsorren (02-02-2013), GoSkins (12-20-2012), XRSized (12-17-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 12-17-2012, 11:49 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice work! Tastefully done. Looks OEM.
The Following User Says Thank You to UCPACman For This Useful Post:
VdubTX (12-20-2012)
post #3 of 36 Old 12-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Doesn't having the ambient light on at night distract you? I even turn my dash lights down, as I find the default too bright. When I'm driving at night, I need all of my night vision possible.

'09 I4 FWD, Sunset Bronze, Panoramic Moonroof, Security Pkg, Back-Up Camera, Rear bumper Protector, Bluetooth Handsfree, WeatherTech Digital Fit Mats, Blizzak DM-V1s on 17" Moda EB1 wheels for winter.
The Following User Says Thank You to smacd For This Useful Post:
VdubTX (12-20-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 12-17-2012, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
No, not distracting at all. Maybe we are just used to it? I also have the footwell lighting in my CC.
post #5 of 36 Old 12-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Just getting started...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VdubTX View Post
Having bought our 2010 Venza a couple months ago and coming from a VW Touareg, my wife has missed having the footwells being lit up when the headlights are on. Went on a search to find a solution that would be acceptable to add footwell lights to the Venza. Decided on trying a very inexpensive way to add the lighting and purchased a 3-LED strip that is adhesive on the back.

Like this:

I wired the lights to the LED's that are in the console/armrest area and routed the wire along the console to the front passenger footwell and installed the light. Used simple wire taps to wire it in and am happy with the results. Sorry for the crappy phone pics, can never get accurate lighting color to come through. Looks bluer than it really is.
Very Nice, I might try this out too! Are those 5000k or 6000k?

97 Maxima SE
09 Corolla XRS
11 Venza
13 Camry SE
15 Subaru STI
The Following User Says Thank You to XRSized For This Useful Post:
VdubTX (12-20-2012)
post #6 of 36 Old 12-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Streaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Looks Cool!

2013 Sunset Bronze Venza Limited V6 AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to Streaker For This Useful Post:
VdubTX (12-20-2012)
post #7 of 36 Old 12-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Overweight Lover

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
looks perfect!! I wanted to do the same thing!

Any pics of the wire splits on the console LED's?
The Following User Says Thank You to GoSkins For This Useful Post:
VdubTX (12-20-2012)
post #8 of 36 Old 12-17-2012, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacd View Post
Doesn't having the ambient light on at night distract you? I even turn my dash lights down, as I find the default too bright. When I'm driving at night, I need all of my night vision possible.
Didn't know for sure earlier when I responded, but checked and the lights are also on the rheostat with the dash lights. They can be dimmed however you like.
The Following User Says Thank You to VdubTX For This Useful Post:
XRSized (12-19-2012)
post #9 of 36 Old 12-17-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSkins View Post

Really just 2 quick wire taps to the wires of the Console LED, not pretty but works just fine. Will try and get a pic here shortly.
post #10 of 36 Old 12-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Overweight Lover

Thanks vdub!!!
post #11 of 36 Old 12-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I like it although I would only want them on when I opened the door....not while I'm driving.

2019 Highlander XLE AWD
2018 Honda CRV EXL AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to PRNDL For This Useful Post:
VdubTX (12-20-2012)
post #12 of 36 Old 12-18-2012, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:

I used the blue wire taps(16-18ga) on this one, but should have used the red for smaller gauge wires(18-22ga). Gray wire is ground if you cannot see color too well. The housing for the lights pops out very easily

GoSkins (12-20-2012)
post #13 of 36 Old 12-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Overweight Lover

Thanks a million VDUB!!! I am gonna do this saturday...

Gotta ask, after owning so many VW's, what do you and your wife think of the Venza?
post #14 of 36 Old 12-19-2012, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Thanks a million VDUB!!! I am gonna do this saturday...

Gotta ask, after owning so many VW's, what do you and your wife think of the Venza?
From the Touareg it was a big step for the wife. She liked being higher up in traffic. I have always liked the looks of the Venza. I like to say it is one of the only Toyotas that actually have some style to it. Corollas and Camry are just too generic/cookie cutter for our tastes.

The fit and finish between our Toyota and all of our VW's are very different. The Toyota is definitely not as nice of a quality in the plastics used for the interior. VW uses plastics as well but the feel and look of them are much different. The leather used in the seating surfaces are also a step down in the Toyota. I understand not a 100% fair comparison since the Touareg can be upwards of $60k at the upper end of the model. Real wood vs. plastic wood.

The ride is also different, with the Touareg being AWD there was a nice level of full control of the vehicle. At least the feeling of full control. Could feel the road through the steering wheel, overall just very responsive. The Venza lacks some of these qualities in that it is just a push gas and go kind of vehicle. Not much transmitted from road to steering wheel.

Road/Wind noise is something we have grown to not have to deal with and the Venza has some definite quirks in this area. Some wind noise from the driver and passenger front windows when at highway speed. My CC is very quiet at highway speeds and don't have to crank stereo up to hear the music . Tire noise isn't too bad on the Venza. The Touareg had a known tendency to cup tires if not on top of aligning regularly. Once the tires are cupped it can get pretty noisy. Can happen to any vehicle though. For now the Venza is good in that regard.

The reason we got out of the Touareg was the mounting repair bills we didn't want to have to deal with again. Brakes were within 5k miles or so of going out again(got 20k miles from that set) and that is very costly, even doing myself was easily over $1k. Tires were starting to cup with some road noise and this would have been another $1k minimum. The $80 fill ups of gas(22 gallon tank), the $80-90 oil changes. etc. etc. etc. Had had enough of the expense outlay which didn't make sense for us. Now though, we like filling up with 14-15 gallons and a $45-50 fill up and going the same number miles on a tank of gas.

One thing the wife mentioned was the turning radius when she is parking at a store. The Touareg was very agile in that regard and could make into parking spot very easily. The Venza seems to be wider and have to be a little more pronounced when making a turn into a spot. I have experienced this also when I have driven it.

Overall though, the Venza drives nice and smooth and for the most part quiet when driving on surface streets. Haven't taken it out for more than an hour at a time on highway to get a better sense of comfort on a longer road trip. But I do like it.

We did sacrifice some nice amenities with the Touareg(4 zone climate control, rear heated seats, AWD) but I am glad we made the switch to it as it is a nice vehicle and for the price it drives pretty nice. The wife still feels like she is in an SUV, sort of.

Next step is to get an aftermarket Nav/Radio system for her.
XRSized (12-19-2012)
post #15 of 36 Old 12-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Overweight Lover

Very Thorough reply Vdub!

I totally understand where you are coming from... I am coming from a Acura TL, and before that a TT 3.2 DSG.

I am still trying to get used to the interior, it isn't as nice as my previous two cars.

The maintenance on my Audi was ludicrous. Everything that broke was at least $1000, and then there's the $120 oil changes. Unbelievable!!! NOTHING drives like a german car when they're running great, but nothing causes as much wallet pain when something goes wrong.

I just had a kid, so for me, the benefits outweigh the negatives of the Venza, but it was hard to find something sporty and the same size as Venza without going $60K german. I really like the styling, and the V6 is real nice.

All in all, I am happy with my new car as well. Thanks again for the helpful info and wonderful write up!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to GoSkins For This Useful Post:
VdubTX (12-20-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Venza Forum