Recent drop in gas milage - No CEL - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Avalon 1st Generation (1995-1999) Specific discussion of the first generation Toyota Avalon

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 Old 12-21-2018, 12:35 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
For android obd apps I recommend Torque and DashComand. I prefer Dash because there agree hundreds of different user created 'dashboards' so they have lots of aesthetics and some vehicle/brand specific parameters. Torque is more no nonsense, it has an adjustable dashboard, with a few different guage styles whoch you can assign different readouts to. That being said, you can typically only fit a handful of parameters on the screen for torque, whereas many dash Command dashboards will list everything from fuel trims to vacuum psi to equated HP/FT-lbs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 12-21-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks BMR for the education on O2 sensors. I will look for an app that will give me stats on them. I currently use Dash as TripleSick6Sick suggested but it doesn't report on O2 sensors on my car. Can't find that option in the menus. Going to look at Torque.

Thanks MenInBlack for the heads up on the jiggle valve. Did not know that. As far as the dragging brakes, I have ruled that out because the car can roll for blocks and I touched all of the disks and could not find a hot one.
Looks like I need a thermostat regardless of whether it is related to my gas mileage problem. Will be picking one up with the O ring after the holidays and I should be through this tank of gas by that time also.
post #18 of 26 Old 12-22-2018, 05:28 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
looks like a lot of parts will need to be thrown at mine since except for a new autozone starter they put in (which id rather just rebuild a OEM denso one from a yard) and new key tumbler as a result of the finicky starter, (maybe egr, o2, universal cat 75$ dollars, pcv?) but these engines are 250 k verified even if you just show small to medium grade devotion if you can keep the sludge in check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 26 Old 12-28-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I found an app that let me see the O2 sensors and found that they go to closed loop in less than a minute so it appears that they are functioning properly. After they closed, the voltage just varied but I didn't see them go back to open. Based upon what I learned from everybody here, I am really leaning to just a bad thermostat. I took the car out today and after about 5 miles of driving one way, the coolant temp didn't even hit 170. It was about 35F outside at the time. I am guessing that running cold also mean running a little rich or at least, reduced power so I need to be heavier on the gas to get the car moving.

I bought a thermostat and O-ring and will replace as soon as I get a break in the weather. I'll look for a tutorial since I am not sure what is the best way to do it. Doesn't look too hard but don't want to remove a bunch of stuff I don't need to just to get it out. Have to deal with the reduced mileage until then.
post #20 of 26 Old 12-28-2018, 03:47 PM
BMR
Sheriff of Mayberry

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,904 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Hereís a thermostat DIY for the 1MZ-FE from the Camry forum. Hope you got an OEM tístat? A lot of the aftermarket stats are junk. Be sure to install it with the jiggle valve positioned at 12 oíclock. The DIY doesnít mention that because the Stant stat he used doesnít have one.

2015 RAV4 Limited, AWD, tech pkg, Barcelona red metallic, 62k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 397k
1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, totaled at 384k miles
post #21 of 26 Old 12-29-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR View Post
Hereís a thermostat DIY for the 1MZ-FE from the Camry forum. Hope you got an OEM tístat? A lot of the aftermarket stats are junk. Be sure to install it with the jiggle valve positioned at 12 oíclock. The DIY doesnít mention that because the Stant stat he used doesnít have one.

Thanks for the tutorial. I did not get a OEM but can take it back. It's too cold to put it in right now. I got a Mahle, which I was told is a manufacturer for Toyota. When I looked at them, it seemed to be a much higher quality. It has a lifetime warranty but I guess anybody can say anything.
post #22 of 26 Old 12-29-2018, 12:14 PM
BMR
Sheriff of Mayberry

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,904 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Iíve never heard Mahle was an OEM for Toyota stats. Kuzeh is, but theyíre hard to find. Iíve had so many bad experiences with aftermarket stats I wonít use anything but OEM. Most recently I put a Stant OE grade stat in my F150 about 4 years ago. In a few months, it wasnít holding temp high enough. Got one at the Ford dealer, and itís been fine ever since.

2015 RAV4 Limited, AWD, tech pkg, Barcelona red metallic, 62k miles
1996 Avalon XLS, ABS brakes, super white II, acquired w/ 139k, now at 397k
1992 Camry LE, V6 (3VZ-FE), ABS brakes, dark emerald pearl, owned since new. Replaced HGs @332k, totaled at 384k miles
post #23 of 26 Old 12-30-2018, 06:47 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Even though i dont have a CEL light m going to hook up a code reader and look for any codes, also am going to get a thermal laser temp gun and see what my temp is going into the CAT and what it is going out.... if its much hotter at the outtake ill know the cat is done for, but for sure, this thing has thrown EGR codes before which can lead to bad cat.
Also a new thing is a water leak under the drivers side dash, which is either the sunroof channel or sealent at bottom of windshield. ONE more thing!
post #24 of 26 Old 01-17-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Thought I would do an update. I went through a few more tanks of gas and things improved a bit but not as much as I would like. Running around 18 MPG now which is still lower than last winter. I don't have much choice for gas in town - Clark and Hometown and a BP by the highway (always 10 cents more per gallon). Got gas at Costco in the next town and seeing better mileage. As soon as I get somewhat decent weather here, I am going to replace the thermostat. Staying in the 160s must be hurting mileage.

I wanted to circle back to the Mahle thermostat that I bought. I was told it was an OEM but someone raised some doubts. I went an looked at a Toyota boxed OEM and it doesn't look any different than the Mahle. I did look at other replacements and they looked different and built a lot cheaper. Much lighter and smaller springs and thinner metal. The box for the Mahle says Made in Japan, so I am going to trust this one. Here are some pics of it.

Let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190117_123625.jpg (760.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190117_123656.jpg (913.1 KB, 3 views)
post #25 of 26 Old 01-17-2019, 01:08 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Mahle makes pretty decent OE replacement parts. However, I still recommend getting an OEM Toyota thermostat. I really just stick with Toyota OEM when it comes to any and all coolant related parts, honestly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #26 of 26 Old 04-06-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Here is an update. They weather finally got good enough to work on the car and I got the thermostat in. Did a complete drain on the cooling system through all of the petcocks and filled with the correct antifreeze after replacing it. The gasket was very mushy and I was surprised that it wasn't leaking.

Now the car heats up much more quickly and it gets to 180 no problem. Like I said before that with the old one, it would hover in the 160s. I ran one tank since the replacement and got 22 MPG. There was about 30 miles of highway driving on that tank so that could up the average a little bit.

Anyway, very pleased with the progress and I want to thank everybody for their help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > Avalon 1st Generation (1995-1999)