Highest Mileage on Gen 1's (See first post for a ranking list) - Page 10 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Avalon 1st Generation (1995-1999) Specific discussion of the first generation Toyota Avalon

38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 289 Old 05-11-2011, 10:48 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Got one rollin over to 243k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 289 Old 05-12-2011, 01:16 AM
New TN User

there are some avalons with 400k and they are fine, but iwould like to know how much miles can go an avi
post #138 of 289 Old 05-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Avarollin?

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack toy View Post
there are some avalons with 400k and they are fine, but iwould like to know how much miles can go an avi

Well, a lot of us are reporting 200-250K miles with no issues, So I wouldn't be surprised to see most of the Avalons here hitting 300K in their future.

Probably depends where it is driven, too.

Jigg007's 1996 Toyota Avalon
250A Alternator
2500W AC Inverter
3200W Sound system
Windows 7 Carputer
Onboard Air System
D2 Street Coilovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 289 Old 05-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Banned

meaningless...

After 100K the odometer is a conversation piece, if that.

Mine, for example, says almost 200K. On the body - lol. The different parts, well, they all have different mileages. At about 100K enough parts break out of the miles reflected on the clock to make it meaningless.

I've driven a lot of cars. Once I worked for a while driving cars bought at auction back to a car dealer. Drove every thing there... Had a few of my own and fixed a ba-zillion of them, in the 70s and 80s.

Friend of mine went with me to pick up the avalon. I drove it back. It had been hit in front - somebody "fixed it" with their ass. It had a rod knocking. I paid $3,000 for it. George thought I'd been sniffing glue...

Next night we were riding in it. George says, why the he77 you buy this thing? A picture's worth a thousand words, said i, smiling. We were doing about 40-45. I whipped it around a 90 degree street corner. George screamed! Your problem, bud, is simple. You don't know what this is. The car did not slide, or even lean.

Now she has her jdm motor and trans. The thing is the epitome of a sleeper. It's flat ready. I've done a few things to it - some i would not care to advertize - and it will run. It gets 27 in town and 'way up over 30, running the interstates at 75.

It's butt ugly green. It's 14 years old. But step inside and the story changes, real quick. Floats like a Lincoln, stings like a (Super) Bee and handles in a way that hers, and hers alone. Everything's like, right where it's supposed to be and I have yet to wreck it, while trying to figure out what the doo-dadz doo. Woo Hoo.

Of all the things on my car, the odometer would have to be the most misleading... or at least tied with it's luxury car rep!
post #140 of 289 Old 05-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Garage
Hows do your avalon handle so well? I have excessive front end body lean when turning, and steering is loose lol. Our quest handles better than both avalons. The xterra is like a sports car, stays flat no matter what.
post #141 of 289 Old 05-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmesfun View Post
Hows do your avalon handle so well? I have excessive front end body lean when turning, and steering is loose lol. Our quest handles better than both avalons. The xterra is like a sports car, stays flat no matter what.
these cars handle super well. however, i believe the coil springs were faulty from the beginning. if you have not replaced your coils, that might well be the reason. still, my coils were beaten down the night i did the thing with the corner - lol!

mine simply will not lean. those sway bars are massive, for a car that size! i don't understand how you could have front end body lean... that implies it somehow quits, before it gets to the rear? woah! what a thought!

once i was late for a turn and zipped across the median at 55 mph. just flicked the wheel. slid a bit, that time. it was marvelous. dead neutral. no over/under steer... just a reverse flick and a little push on the pedal brought it right back in line.

i dunno. can you drive? if not no car will handle for you... it's about merging with the cart - making it an extension of your body... empty words for most people, i think. i was never good at math... lol
post #142 of 289 Old 05-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Senior TN Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2 View Post
these cars handle super well. however, i believe the coil springs were faulty from the beginning. if you have not replaced your coils, that might well be the reason. still, my coils were beaten down the night i did the thing with the corner - lol!

mine simply will not lean. those sway bars are massive, for a car that size! i don't understand how you could have front end body lean... that implies it somehow quits, before it gets to the rear? woah! what a thought!

once i was late for a turn and zipped across the median at 55 mph. just flicked the wheel. slid a bit, that time. it was marvelous. dead neutral. no over/under steer... just a reverse flick and a little push on the pedal brought it right back in line.

i dunno. can you drive? if not no car will handle for you... it's about merging with the cart - making it an extension of your body... empty words for most people, i think. i was never good at math... lol
yes I can drive lol. In 97, the sway bar was reduced to 19mm, so that MAY be way, or the end links may be shot. Mine will lean just driving 45mph and following the ziz zags in the road. I haven't replaced coils, they look new, all struts a KYBs. Yeah if I tried cutting across the highway like that, I am asking for an accident. I just don't understand why the handling is so bad, even unsafe. This car hasn't had an alignment in 6 years, maybe that has something to do with it lol.
post #143 of 289 Old 05-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
yes I can drive lol. In 97, the sway bar was reduced to 19mm, so that MAY be way, or the end links may be shot. Mine will lean just driving 45mph and following the ziz zags in the road. I haven't replaced coils, they look new, all struts a KYBs. Yeah if I tried cutting across the highway like that, I am asking for an accident. I just don't understand why the handling is so bad, even unsafe. This car hasn't had an alignment in 6 years, maybe that has something to do with it lol.
mine's a 97

the end links will raise he77 if they're loose, as will the sway bar "bushings" (made of rubber). how much space between your tires and the wheel wells? should be at least 3 inches. if not...
post #144 of 289 Old 05-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Senior TN Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2 View Post
mine's a 97

the end links will raise he77 if they're loose, as will the sway bar "bushings" (made of rubber). how much space between your tires and the wheel wells? should be at least 3 inches. if not...
Opps I meant 98-99.

Bushings are new. Again today I was runnning late to school, and I tried zipping across lanes, the car was all over the place. I was only doing about 50mph on a city road. There is alot of play in the steering wheel. I can fit about 3 fingers between the tires and wheel well. I should be keeping the car for a while so I have been contemplateing buying lowering springs and see if those will help.
post #145 of 289 Old 05-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Opps I meant 98-99.

Bushings are new. Again today I was runnning late to school, and I tried zipping across lanes, the car was all over the place. I was only doing about 50mph on a city road. There is alot of play in the steering wheel. I can fit about 3 fingers between the tires and wheel well. I should be keeping the car for a while so I have been contemplateing buying lowering springs and see if those will help.
you need coils, tie rod ends and possibly ball joints. do NOT use lowering springs, or anything else that changes the geometry of the front end, 'cause the alignment is FIXED. all that can be set is the toe-in.
post #146 of 289 Old 06-04-2011, 02:19 PM
New TN User

Got my 1996 Avalon XL gold package at 120k in 2005 its at 202k now. No major problems at all since I owned it and just routine maintenance from old age had me replace the cv axles and struts that were stock on it from 96. A very good car to own.
post #147 of 289 Old 07-10-2011, 10:36 PM
New TN User

have a 96 avalon, bought it with 163k and it just broke 200k, 3rd owner, got it when I was 17 and I drove the shit out of it(still do sometimes) and it still runs like a champ, only thing thats been replace is the oil pan gasket.
post #148 of 289 Old 07-12-2011, 12:34 PM
New TN User

mine is now arriving to 143 000 miles ,, feels powerful and smooth...
post #149 of 289 Old 07-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Our 95 Avalon is still chugging along with 267,000 on the odometer. Typical problems along the way. Fantastic car. We bought it from a friend with 105,000 on it and have not changed the plugs yet!
post #150 of 289 Old 07-12-2011, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Awesome!!!

Thanks again to everyone for keeping this thread alive!!!! This thread may even last longer than most Avalons out there...NOT!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jagalag For This Useful Post:
jack toy (07-13-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > Avalon 1st Generation (1995-1999)