What did you do to your Avalon lately? - Page 5 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Avalon 1st Generation (1995-1999) Specific discussion of the first generation Toyota Avalon

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 549 Old 01-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Just got done changing out front pads and rotors.

Black 95 Avalon XLS 245k
2015 Cascadia DD15 225k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 549 Old 01-06-2013, 10:40 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9T6AvalonXLS View Post
First project a week ago, I washed, clay barred, and attempted to remove all of the wax from the various rubber trims and seals, plus what was caked into every recessed surface on the car. After that I buffed with a clearcoat compound, followed by a machine applied polish, followed by a machine applied swirl remover, and finally hand waxed...whew! The car looks great compared to the condition it was in when purchased.
I followed the exterior with a quickie interior scrubbing, a thorough cleaning needs to happen but it will have to wait until more important projects are done. When I go at it later, I will be removing the front and rear seats so I can fully clean them along with the carpets.

Next project yesterday, was replacing the drivers side CV axle, not too bad of a job. While the car was in the garage, I replaced the brake pads and rotors on both the front and rear. Checked the calipers, they look good for now, if an issue arises, I will replace them. While apart I cleaned and lubed the slider pins.
With the car still in the garage yesterday, I was going to replace all of the cooling system hoses, but found I was missing a couple of heater hoses, so I drained the system and replaced the hoses I had and could easily access and filled with new coolant.
My manual arrived in the mail too late in the day to do much more, but now I know what I have to do to replace the remainder of the hoses, part of that is to acquire a intake gasket set so I can replace the hose that is under the upper intake manifold.
I also replaced the PCV valve and grommet.

Next up will be finishing off the cooling system, replace all four struts, and change out all under hood fluids.

Where did you buy the manual from for the car?
post #63 of 549 Old 01-17-2013, 06:40 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
About a month ago mine died while I was driving after making a loud engine knock. Turns out the crankshaft/connecting rod bearing on cylinder 1 was gone. The last month has been spent tearing down the engine. Sending block, heads, and everything else to the machinist this weekend.

Engine out and valve covers off. Nice mouse nest under the coolant hose

Quite a pile of engine pieces

Anybody know what the markings on the front exhaust camshaft mean?

Hopefully it doesn't cost too much to machine her.

Trying to decide if I need to replace this piston.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 549 Old 01-17-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Home School Valedictorian

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgpop8418 View Post
Where did you buy the manual from for the car?
Picked it up from ebay.

FS, 1st Gen Avalon Spoiler

98 Camry LE 5SFE Cashmere Beige Metallic 129k
98 Camry LE 5SFE Antique Sage Pearl 156k
post #65 of 549 Old 01-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Damn, I wish I would have checked out this thread earlier....It doesn't move out of the sticky zone so I always thought they were old posts. Jigg you got a steal on those seats!

Cammed 02 Z28
96 Avalon XLS Daily Driver
post #66 of 549 Old 01-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Avarollin?

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks stang.

I just changed out my starter, crazy rusty, branded toyota, I'd like to assume that it is the original and decided to die shy of 300K (283K right now) Starting up that car now sounds FIERCE. Got a Remny "new" starter.

Also decided to buy an oem block heater from ebay for $30 and installed that too. And with that, an involuntary coolant flush. (well, more of a change. Sure flushed out though! Pretty sure I put more back in the system than came out)

Maybe I'll make a thread about it later if my car doesnt decide to burn down. I really only got one picture but could describe it textually. Unlike the starter, got a good amount of pictures on that.

Jigg007's 1996 Toyota Avalon
250A Alternator
2500W AC Inverter
3200W Sound system
Windows 7 Carputer
Onboard Air System
D2 Street Coilovers

Last edited by Jigg007; 01-20-2013 at 10:52 AM.
post #67 of 549 Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Official TN Member

Nice Jigg! Let me know how that heater goes, I had been thinking about doing it on mine.

Well here's what I've been up to.

1996 Avalon 136xxx miles
I fixed most of the body damage myself that I had. I had been rear ended when I first got the car but pocketed the money instead of having it fixed. I went through and bent the trunk back out, lightly sanded and "auto spray painted" it. I was lucky that it's white and you really can't tell. You can tell that it has been hit but it's really not bad at all anymore. If it was a nicer car I wouldn't have done that.

As for appearance, I found a set of Mazda 3 wheels that were painted a dark green and put those on. I'm going to paint them black though eventually. I took off all the emblems and repainted them. Got rid of all the god awful gold colors that come on the car (Black emblems in back, White for the grill emblem). Also cleared up one head light and haven't got to the other yet.

As for everything else, I went through and changed all the fluids (Power Steering, Trans, Diff, coolant and brake fluid.), I know for a fact the trans and diff fluid is at least 11 years old, but I'm pretty sure it was what came in the car though. Also, I put new tires and had it properly aligned. (Btw I had to go to more than one place to get it aligned...one person tried saying tie rods were worn out but they just didn't know how to align for crap.)

The car feels like a new car now. Shifts way smoother and got rid of a tiny little whine that was coming from the car after I changed the diff fluid. You would never guess this car is 17 years old by driving it.

I'm not trying to rice this car out, but trying to go for a less "Granny" look. haha
Here are some pics, you can see my Camaro in the backround too.

***Note: I just looked at the pics, their not the greatest, maybe I'll have to take some new ones when I have some better light.***

Cammed 02 Z28

Last edited by Stang-Slayer; 01-20-2013 at 04:45 PM.
post #68 of 549 Old 01-21-2013, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Home School Valedictorian

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I would sell you a good deck lid really cheap...shipping would probably be a bitch though.

FS, 1st Gen Avalon Spoiler

98 Camry LE 5SFE Cashmere Beige Metallic 129k
98 Camry LE 5SFE Antique Sage Pearl 156k
post #69 of 549 Old 01-22-2013, 12:13 AM
Official TN Member

damn that would be cool, damn Iowa is a long way away though

Cammed 02 Z28
post #70 of 549 Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 PM
Avarollin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang-Slayer View Post
Nice Jigg! Let me know how that heater goes, I had been thinking about doing it on mine.
Block heater? In Texas?

I can confirm that the block heater is functioning, though I do not have much to compare it to.

It was -5F when i started my car this morning. The computer takes about 45 seconds to boot up and show OBDII data, but when it did it said the coolant temp was 90F. The car was as nominal idle from about 5 minutes after start-up. Just gotta take it slow because the trans/everything else is still super cold.

250A Alternator
2500W AC Inverter
3200W Sound system
Windows 7 Carputer
Onboard Air System
D2 Street Coilovers

Last edited by Jigg007; 01-22-2013 at 10:28 PM.
post #71 of 549 Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Official TN Member

Nice man! What are you using to read that temp?

I had been thinking about using one because of a wild hair I got up my ass.
I had been thinking about how with my short 5 mile drives back and forth across
town that my oil never actually gets up to operating temp, thus causing excessive wear and reducing fuel mileage. If you warm your your motor it would prevent that, but then again is it worth the KWH you burn from your light socket? haha prob not, just another dumb engineering idea in my head.

One thing I have been thinking about doing is installing a oil pressure and temperature gauge somewhere hidden. I had been trying to monitor allot of that for my own knowledge. I guess the best way would be to use a oil filter sandwhich thing.

Cammed 02 Z28
post #72 of 549 Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Avarollin?

Quote:
Nice man! What are you using to read that temp?
Well , my radio is actually a computer with windows 7, and I use software called DashCommand that interfaces with the OBDII port. Its like a scangauge, but a lot cheaper.

[quote=Stang-Slayer;4197201
I had been thinking about using one because of a wild hair I got up my ass.
[/QUOTE]

story of my life

Quote:
I had been thinking about how with my short 5 mile drives back and forth across
town that my oil never actually gets up to operating temp, thus causing excessive wear and reducing fuel mileage. If you warm your your motor it would prevent that, but then again is it worth the KWH you burn from your light socket? haha prob not, just another dumb engineering idea in my head..
Good point on the former. I've never *really* run the math, but I'm pretty sure the KWH is cheaper than the car going cold idle for 10 minutes to reach the same temp. If the heater is 400W, and you left it plugged in for 8 hours (but really only 3-4 would suffice) that is 3.2KW, or maybe 32 cents if you're $0.10/kwh. Now a gallon of gas costs $3.50. And at cold idle you're sucking atleast 2gal/hr. ten minutes equates 1/3 a gallon, or roughly $1. Even if you cut that rate/idle time in half you're still at $0.50, more expensive than the KWH for the block heater. AND you're putting more wear on the engine with oil-glue-sluge-cake.

My ride sucks a lot more KWH, as when its plugged in it powers a lot more than just a block heater. But also a thermostatically controlled 750watt heater that blows into the cabin, which doesn't let the windows ice up before i drive. And a 45 amp battery charger/converter which keeps the batteries charged (and runs said computer constantly) along with other electronics in the trunk to just keep the trunk warm from inefficiencies. Not everything tends to co-operate in the lower temperatures and this is a cheap work-around. I plan to add timers to the heaters so they dont run untill i need them like 3 hours before my scheduled car start. For no other reason besides saving energy. dem ass hairs. One of these days I'll make a post showing off the car, maybe. /ego

edit: I'm sure you will see it, but just incase it gets buried- i tossed up a quick block heater install post on the forum.

250A Alternator
2500W AC Inverter
3200W Sound system
Windows 7 Carputer
Onboard Air System
D2 Street Coilovers

Last edited by Jigg007; 01-23-2013 at 11:33 PM.
post #73 of 549 Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 PM
Official TN Member

What kind of head unit is that? Is it actually meant to be a computer?
Haha I like your work man, what's your actual profession? Elec. Engineer maybe? lol

Cammed 02 Z28
post #74 of 549 Old 01-24-2013, 11:24 PM
Avarollin?

Nah dude, its not a butchered radio or anything. What you see in the dash is no more than a 7" toucscreen LCD. In the trunk there is an ATX (desktop) computer with a dc-dc power supply.

Yeah I actually have an associates degree in electronics engineering. I also (currently) work at an RV builder as an auto electrician. That's where I get some ideas like the 120V inlet on my bumper with a transfer switch (toggles between inverter and inlet power) and cabin/block heaters.

250A Alternator
2500W AC Inverter
3200W Sound system
Windows 7 Carputer
Onboard Air System
D2 Street Coilovers
post #75 of 549 Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Official TN Member

that's sweet man, I had thought about something like that way way back in the day on my Camaro. I had been worried about start up times and the HDD getting damaged with bumps though.

You should make a thread showing this off man, I'd really like to see more of that.

Cammed 02 Z28

Last edited by Stang-Slayer; 01-25-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > Avalon 1st Generation (1995-1999)