Friday this past week, I took up the courage to replace the second valve cover gasket, which has been leaking oil for over a year. After viewing this guy's youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KaJqN2_8mI
And digesting the Hanes manual, I decided to give it a go.
It really it just a lot of things to get out of the way. I used White-out to put little dots on hoses and their corresponding nipples for an easy re-installation. That was a huge help. The hardest part was figureing a way to move the wiring harness up and towards the firewall to get the valve cover off. I'm no mechanic, but I love to see how stuff works. While everything was off, I went ahead and replaced the three rear spark plugs, and the oxygen sensor that is just below(it's the 2nd of 3 I've replaced and the hardest to get to.)
I do not leak oil anymore! Cabin air smells so much better (duh), and i'm excited to see what else I can tackle in the future. I didn't take photos of everything, but some things I did. I couldn't get a video to upload properly to photobucket, but i'll have videos of different things I do later on. I think I saved a few hundred bucks doing this myself, even if it took me all day! This is my first post with photos. We'll see if this works.
^ Air Intake Plenum off.
[/IMG]^Air intake plenum Some of the hoses were a little hard. Not so hard that I needed to cut them, but I used an adjustable wrench to twit them free of the nipples then easily pulled them off.
^Valve cover is off! During re-installation I made sure to use RTV sealant on the same spots on the rear cover as what the Hanes manual says to do on the front valve cover. In fact, when I pulled the rear cover off, I could see evidence of the locations where they had applies previous dabs of sealant in addition to the gasket. Perfect!
^ The valve cover off. I .didn't clean the inside, just the trough where the gasket goes. I used brake parts cleaner and paper towels as needed.
The spark plug grommet things (I don't know their real term) came with the gasket kit. The entire valve cover gasket kit I bought on ebay I believe.
^The old gasket is hard as rock and worn in several locations. New one is red.
^ Old vs new Oxygen sensor. I haven't a clue as to how old the old ones are. But since I had already put 100k miles on the car, I figured I'd do the recommended maintenance and change them. Much easier to access from above while all the stuff is off and out of the way. From underneath, this would have been difficult (but possible I believe.)
Anyway, I love this site, my car, and actually get excited now about doing my own repair. Keep Moving Forward! (...and for a toyota tag line "even when you don't want to.") haha