Gabriel Quick Struts have better Reviews than Monroe - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Avalon 2nd Generation (2000-2004) Specific discussion of the second generation Toyota Avalon

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 05-31-2017, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Gabriel Quick Struts have better Reviews than Monroe

For a 2003 Avalon anyway. Anyone have an opinion about this. The Gabriel's are more expensive though.

Gabriel P/N

G56930
G56931
G56932
G56933

Monroe P/N

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-31-2017, 07:36 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I just installed the Monroe's on my daughters '01 Avalon XLS and I'm very happy with the ride quality. I purchased the kit from Rockauto and Monroe was running a $100 cash back rebate last month, so I got the four Quick Stuts for around $340 after the rebate.

- '19 Avalon XSE, '13 Avalon Limited, '05 Avalon Touring (RIP), '01 Avalon XLS

- '71 SS/RS Camaro, '74 Corvette, '02 Suburban
post #3 of 26 Old 05-31-2017, 09:15 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
They are both junk .
They don't last very long .
We don't even recommend them to our customers no more

Get some KYB or Tokico and just get new tops for them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 05-31-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerex View Post
I just installed the Monroe's on my daughters '01 Avalon XLS and I'm very happy with the ride quality. I purchased the kit from Rockauto and Monroe was running a $100 cash back rebate last month, so I got the four Quick Stuts for around $340 after the rebate.
Thanks, I still have your procedure in my maintenance log. It looks like Professor Sir did a great write up about this procedure also. He also used Monroe Quick Struts.

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/15...valon-xls.html
post #5 of 26 Old 05-31-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glramos View Post
They are both junk .

Thanks for the info, but I would have to pay somebody to do that. I couldn't do that myself, and I don't have $1400 to spend on this.
post #6 of 26 Old 06-01-2017, 08:20 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glramos View Post
They are both junk .

I'm interested to see how much life I get out of them. That being said, my daughter will only put around 10k a year on the car, if that. She'll use it over the summer, drive it 350 miles out to school come fall and then it will sit in a student parking lot for weeks on end.

Before I tossed the old struts, I did removed and keep the OE springs, in the event the Quick Struts don't last....then I'll go with KYB's and the OE springs.

I will say that I'm not a fan of compressing springs. I have a set of professional grade Macpherson strut spring compressors (made by OTC, I believe) that I’ve had for years and I’m always very uncomfortable when it comse to compressing springs. I even run a heavy chain through the spring in the event that one of the spring compressors fails. I also take great care to insure that the spring compressor does not start to walk around the spring when compressing it. There’s a boat load of energy in a compressed spring.

I cringe when I watch some of the videos out on youtube of DIY’ers removing strut springs and front coil springs. The strut springs on the Avalon look like thread compared to the Hotchkis front coil springs on my Camaro, but both will kill you the same way if they were to release due to spring compressor failure.

- '19 Avalon XSE, '13 Avalon Limited, '05 Avalon Touring (RIP), '01 Avalon XLS

- '71 SS/RS Camaro, '74 Corvette, '02 Suburban
post #7 of 26 Old 06-01-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerex View Post
I'm interested to see how much life I get out of them. That being said, my daughter will only put around 10k a year on the car, if that. She'll use it over the summer, drive it 350 miles out to school come fall and then it will sit in a student parking lot for weeks on end.

Before I tossed the old struts, I did removed and keep the OE springs, in the event the Quick Struts don't last....then I'll go with KYB's and the OE springs.

I will say that I'm not a fan of compressing springs. I have a set of professional grade Macpherson strut spring compressors (made by OTC, I believe) that I’ve had for years and I’m always very uncomfortable when it comse to compressing springs. I even run a heavy chain through the spring in the event that one of the spring compressors fails. I also take great care to insure that the spring compressor does not start to walk around the spring when compressing it. There’s a boat load of energy in a compressed spring.

I cringe when I watch some of the videos out on youtube of DIY’ers removing strut springs and front coil springs. The strut springs on the Avalon look like thread compared to the Hotchkis front coil springs on my Camaro, but both will kill you the same way if they were to release due to spring compressor failure.
I only drive about 10 to 12K miles/year myself. If the quick struts would just last 5 years, I think I would be happy with them I think. I have to work on my car out here in the apartment parking lot, and I'm just not going to try to compress springs without a garage to work in. I know I could replace the quick struts because of so many people saying it isn't that difficult of a job. I just go slow and take my time. I've also thought about replacing the front and rear sway bar rods as well as preventative maintenance.

Last edited by Endzone3; 06-01-2017 at 12:59 PM.
post #8 of 26 Old 06-02-2017, 12:46 PM
イリジウム

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,317 Posts
Supreme Member
There's no sense going with spring compressors (aka death sticks), because the rubber components like the spring seats and mounts should also be replaced if the struts are done for. So IMO the assemblies make the most sense. If you buy them locally say at Autozone, next time is free warranty replacement. Can't beat the deal.

KYB (aka Keep Your Bilsteins) IMO are too harsh. The damping profile is still too progressive. You'll feel every road irregularities. This is a sign of a poorly designed strut. However, in recent years they join forces with Gabriel (I think around 2008), so they might have improved if they use the Gabriel G-Force patented system. The Gabriel Ultra (not their cheaper value line) seems more digressive, will give you more of a Detroit ride. The older Ultras were a tad firmer, which I thought was nicer has more of the Euro feel.

The new Monroe with the OESpectrum struts supposedly are in between the two. People say it's firm but not as firm as KYB. BTW, KYB doesn't warranty against normal wear and tear.

If you like really firm try KYB. If you like a little less firm ride, try the Monroes. Otherwise Gabriels. Monroes have 90-day Safe and Sound money back guarantee if you don't like them.

See also, a quick search one review for each:
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...ts-review.html
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...ml#post4815970
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...ml#post3276074

http://tech.dvosuspension.com/digres...ssive-damping/
Harry Crumb likes this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnGD For This Useful Post:
Cressidaadr (06-30-2017), Endzone3 (06-02-2017), schmiddr2 (06-04-2017)
post #9 of 26 Old 06-24-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I didn't realize how cheap the KYB cartridges are. I could get all 4 (GR-2) for $300. My Toyota mechanic who does jobs on the side said he would install all 4 for $420. That brings the total cost to about $700. So, it kind of seems like it would be better to go the KYB way. I like a firmer ride anyway. If I bought the Gabriel quick struts, it would cost me $600 plus tax, and I would have to install them myself. So, if I pay $100 more, I get KYB struts and I have someone else who knows what they are doing do the job. But, I could run into problems like needing new rubber pieces (mounts) and the bearing thingie--right? Any comments? Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/KYB-334245-Ex...J016671PN6PDM7
post #10 of 26 Old 06-24-2017, 06:12 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
I bought from these people: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-KYB-Excel-...-/350727532761

I paid $245. But still a decent price at $266.
post #11 of 26 Old 06-24-2017, 09:44 PM
イリジウム

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,317 Posts
Supreme Member
Rockauto shows them for $246.16 + shipping Use the 5% discount code (6394358913454596). About $19 shipping to Ft Worth zip codes. Comes out to $252.83. I usually replace the mounts, dust boot, and spring seats. You can reuse the springs and strut bumpers.

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...t-code-18.html

2003 TOYOTA AVALON 3.0L V6 Suspension : Strut

KYB 334246 GR-2 / Excel-G Info
Front Left
$69.79

KYB 334245 GR-2 / Excel-G Info
Front Right
$69.79

KYB 334133 {#235708} GR-2 / Excel-G Info
Rear Right
$52.79

KYB 334134 GR-2 / Excel-G Info
Rear Left
$53.79

Subtotal $246.16

post #12 of 26 Old 06-25-2017, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all that info fellows. I won't do this job myself, but I want to have all my ducks in a row before I get started. I just didn't realize how inexpensive the KYB's are.
post #13 of 26 Old 06-25-2017, 09:43 AM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGD View Post
There's no sense going with spring compressors (aka death sticks), because the rubber components like the spring seats and mounts should also be replaced if the struts are done for. So IMO the assemblies make the most sense.
Easy enuff until you get to the '04 Avalon. No complete assemblies for this year (unless one goes with some no-name brand).

Like racerex said, "I'm not a fan of compressing springs." I've been doing it, however, since 1992. I've always used the "death sticks," used hand tools, and went slow and easy. Nevertheless, my fanny puckers each and every time I do one. I do believe that next time, I'm going to remove the assembly and take it to the shop for them to remove/replace the strut. Sure, it will cost me more, but I'm getting too old for that kind of excitement. LOL

The Stable:
'00 Camry (adult daughter's)
'03 Avalon (daily driver)
'04 Avalon (wife's)
'05 Solara (adult son's)
'01 Silverado
post #14 of 26 Old 06-30-2017, 07:35 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I replaced the struts on my 2k Avalon with KYBs and I couldnt be happier. It doesnt have that Buick boat feel to it anymore and still to me at least rides as nice as it ever did.

I wouldnt hesitate to use KYBs at all.
Harry Crumb likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iResident For This Useful Post:
Endzone3 (07-01-2017), Harry Crumb (07-07-2017)
post #15 of 26 Old 07-01-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iResident View Post
I replaced the struts on my 2k Avalon with KYBs and I couldnt be happier. It doesnt have that Buick boat feel to it anymore and still to me at least rides as nice as it ever did.

I wouldnt hesitate to use KYBs at all.
Thanks, I plan to order them this weekend. Cost should be around $250 for all 4. Then my mechanic (Toyota tech) will install for $420. So, total cost $670 for all 4 isn't too bad IMHO. So you don't think they ride too stiff as others have said? Did your car need an alignment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > Avalon 2nd Generation (2000-2004)