P0325 Best Strategy - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Avalon 2nd Generation (2000-2004) Specific discussion of the second generation Toyota Avalon

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 12-15-2018, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
P0325 Best Strategy

I have a 2002 Avalon with a P0325 code. From reading posts on this website, it could either be the knock sensor wire harness, the knock sensor itself or the ECU. What is the best and most cost effective strategy for a non-mechanic to communicate to a technician how to solve the problem to fix the underlying problem? How much more labor intensive and parts $ is it to replace the actual sensor at the same time as the harness? Car runs perfectly except for this error code.

Do independent technicians/auto repair repair shops install factory parts purchased by customers? Would there be savings buying a genuine knock sensor or wire harness online and then have the repair shop install it since I've read that there is a big mark up by auto repair shops on parts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-15-2018, 04:25 PM
cj1
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Since your not a DIY best to let the shop do the diagnoses/repair and hold them responsible for any comeback.
An established/competent shop will charge for labor/parts.
Maybe try a mobile mechanic if want a reduced price.
post #3 of 27 Old 12-15-2018, 06:22 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosub View Post
I have a 2002 Avalon with a P0325 code. From reading posts on this website, it could either be the knock sensor wire harness, the knock sensor itself or the ECU. What is the best and most cost effective strategy for a non-mechanic to communicate to a technician how to solve the problem to fix the underlying problem? How much more labor intensive and parts $ is it to replace the actual sensor at the same time as the harness? Car runs perfectly except for this error code.

A non mechanic trying to tell a mechanic how to do his job based on what the non mechanic read on the internet going to go over like a turn in a punch bowl.

Since the intake manifold has to be removed to change the sub harness the extra labor to R & R the actual sensors is minimal.

Do independent technicians/auto repair repair shops install factory parts purchased by customers? Would there be savings buying a genuine knock sensor or wire harness online and then have the repair shop install it since I've read that there is a big mark up by auto repair shops on parts?
Shops make money on parts. Often, the price Joe Blow can buy something off the internet is less than what the shop pays. Most shops frown on customer parts but, some will install them and increase labor cost to make up for lost parts profits.
The correct repair is to replace both sensors and the harness after verifying there is not another issue like wiring harness damage from the sub harness to the ECM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg labor.jpg (25.2 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 12-15-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Is this a job best left to an independent repair shop that specializes in Toyota vehicles or are most independent garages capable of accomplishing this repair? Is the best way to obtain a quote by visiting the shop in person and obtaining a written quote?

Last edited by Gosub; 12-15-2018 at 08:53 PM.
post #5 of 27 Old 12-16-2018, 11:48 AM
cj1
Senior TN Member

"Is the best way to obtain a quote by visiting the shop in person and obtaining a written quote?"

Repairpal.com will give idea/estimate of what's involved.
Repair could run to $1000, so if engine runs ok, worth it only if needed to pass emissions.

If you clear code does it come back right away?
post #6 of 27 Old 12-16-2018, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1 View Post
"Is the best way to obtain a quote by visiting the shop in person and obtaining a written quote?"

Repairpal.com will give idea/estimate of what's involved.
Repair could run to $1000, so if engine runs ok, worth it only if needed to pass emissions.

If you clear code does it come back right away?

Yes, the code comes back right away after clearing it.
post #7 of 27 Old 12-17-2018, 10:00 AM
cj1
Senior TN Member

Ok, if you need it fixed you'll have to "bite the bullet" on the cost, no way around that.
Let shop do the diagnoses/repair that way you have some recourse if problem isn't fixed.
post #8 of 27 Old 12-17-2018, 11:16 AM
short-throw dipstick

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Somebody who knows what they are doing will get this done in 2.5-3.5 hours. The inexperienced will take most of a day to do it, as the intake has to come out. This is what most people working on the 1MZ call major repair; it's not really that bad. pretty straightforward, just a lot of steps.

Use the Denso - not Matsushita - knock sensors. The eBay "Denso" (Chenso) sensors for $25/pair are fake. Real Densos from a Toyota dealer will run you $150-$180 each, and that's if, as mentioned, your mechanic lets you bring your own parts. Harness runs about $23-30.

While it's open, the water bypass hose, fuel injector seals, and rear spark plugs should be done as they are now easily accessible. Not to mention the intake and plenum gaskets, plus coolant should be replaced.

Any way you look at it, this is going to be expensive unless you do the work yourself. There are guides around here and in the gen3/4 Camry forums that will help you out if you choose to DIY. I agree with the sentiment that you should let a shop do the diagnosis. I've never seen it be the ECU (usually sensor, sometimes harness), but make sure a competent shop follows the official troubleshooting procedure to pinpoint the problem so that you don't waste money.

00 Camry 5S-FE 178k BLOWN MOTOR/TRANS
01 ES300 147k NEEDS TRANS WORK
01 Insight 137k BROKEN CAMSHAFT
02 Insight 178k DC-DC BELLY-UP
08 STS-V 67k 570 RWHP!
01 Viggen 112k 400 FWHP
post #9 of 27 Old 12-17-2018, 11:22 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
If you are gonna have someone do the knock sensor, I suggest you do a tuneup too while add it because that is the best time to do the rear spark plugs and if you want, rear valve cover gasket. Otherwise all you can do is shop around and get quotes then look at reviews and find out which shop is trustworthy and worth the price.
insightbrewery likes this.

post #10 of 27 Old 12-17-2018, 10:05 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had a somewhat similar problem, and now it is resolved!

I had a P0325 on a 2001 Avalon which is Knock sensor 1 which is on Bank 1 respectively. Allot of work for someone that does it their selves like me! I believe the problem initially was when the Engine ran Hot and messed up the integrity of the Knock sensor harness connectors and or wiring to the Knock sensors. I replaced both knock sensors with OEM Denso sensors, a Genuine Toyota wiring harness, a genuine Toyota Bypass hose and some new Intake and Plenum Gaskets.
Please note I was able to get all of the Parts I used off of Amazon for $118.39 plus tax.
If you go try to buy all four parts locally, you'll spend probably close to $500, minimum if your lucky!
I have Amazon Prime membership and received these items in two days with no shipping costs.

The following parts fit a 2001 Toyota Avalon!
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Only1trueGOD; 12-27-2018 at 06:19 PM.
post #11 of 27 Old 12-18-2018, 01:09 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I had my knock sensor harness, both sensors, and both valve cover gaskets done at an independent shop for around $1200.
post #12 of 27 Old 12-18-2018, 12:40 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yea, it's quite a job! It took me the better part of the day.
post #13 of 27 Old 12-23-2018, 08:26 AM
RX-7 Restorations

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
If you are unable to diagnose the issue yourself, the car needs to be taken to a competent mechanic or the dealer. The knock sensors both need to be checked for proper resistance and the harness needs to be checked for breaks or corrosion. Very rarely is there an issue with the ECU. Often times, the sensors fail or melt if the engine got too hot. Its not uncommon for rodents to chew the harness and cause a code to set.

01 MR2 Spyder 5spd
01 Avalon, 13 Sienna XLE
06 BMW 330xi 6spd
85.2 944, 86 Corvette
2 04 RX-8's
85 RX-7 GS 88 RX-7 10AE
80 RX-7 LS 88 RX-7 SE
post #14 of 27 Old 12-26-2018, 12:32 AM
short-throw dipstick

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaverx7 View Post
If you are unable to diagnose the issue yourself, the car needs to be taken to a competent mechanic or the dealer. The knock sensors both need to be checked for proper resistance and the harness needs to be checked for breaks or corrosion. Very rarely is there an issue with the ECU. Often times, the sensors fail or melt if the engine got too hot. Its not uncommon for rodents to chew the harness and cause a code to set.
Small correction, knock sensors have no resistance test - active component, basically a microphone tuned to a specific frequency or a few frequencies, generates a voltage.

00 Camry 5S-FE 178k BLOWN MOTOR/TRANS
01 ES300 147k NEEDS TRANS WORK
01 Insight 137k BROKEN CAMSHAFT
02 Insight 178k DC-DC BELLY-UP
08 STS-V 67k 570 RWHP!
01 Viggen 112k 400 FWHP
post #15 of 27 Old 01-20-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightbrewery View Post
Small correction, knock sensors have no resistance test - active component, basically a microphone tuned to a specific frequency or a few frequencies, generates a voltage.

The knock sensors can be tested when half of the engine is apart to determine if one or both have failed? I'm assuming it's not that much more labor $$ to check and replace the knock sensor(s), after the wire harness has been replaced, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > Avalon 2nd Generation (2000-2004)