Rear Sway Bar, Bushings, End Link Help Needed - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Avalon 2nd Generation (2000-2004) Specific discussion of the second generation Toyota Avalon

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Off The Heezay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-17-2019, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
♒DOPE♒

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Rear Sway Bar, Bushings, End Link Help Needed

Hi,

So I have a 2001 Toyota Avalon, and I upgrade the rear sway bar to the 20mm from Whiteline (stock sway bar is 16mm) and the rear sway bar kit came with bushings. I also installed Rear Adjustable End links ALSO from Whiteline.

Here is my issue:

I installed the rear sway bar with the 20mm bushings that came within the kit and also applied the performance grease it came with for the bushings. I then installed the adjustable end links and tightened them down. The sway bar works great, but after a few weeks there was squeaking and clunking noises and they keep getting worse and worse.

So then, I assumed it was bad bushings and turned out they somehow dried up and I used all of the greases that was provided and they gave you a good amount. I then ordered new bushings for the hell of it and redid the process. Checking the bolts making sure everything was tightened down, and I used even more grease than before. I checked double checked end link bolts making sure they were tight, and then I went out for a drive again.

Now this time, when I first went to go out for a drive the car is squeaking again, and clunking even more than before. What on earth is going on? I then get out of the car and push down on the rear suspension and I hear a squeak everytime I push down on the car, and I hear a popping sound. I'm really not sure what's going on. I tightened the bolts tight, made sure the end links are secure, greased the hell out of the bushings, I'm really confused.

Also to take into context, I replaced my rear struts and rotors and brake pads all around during Agust (last summer) and now ever since that clunking and squeaking noise, my brakes are really grinding on something, and things aren't going well. Not sure if the suspension can play a roll on screwing up your brakes, but if you have any information on that, please let me know.

If anyone has any solution to this problem, I would really highly appreciate any feedback.

Thank you

Last edited by Off The Heezay; 01-17-2019 at 01:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-17-2019, 11:59 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Your post was of interest to me as I am looking into getting rid of the rear clunks from my '03 Avalon this spring.

My guess would be the sway bar itself is causing the problems. I say this because in looking at Whiteline's online catalog, I see no sway bar or adjustable sway bar offerings for the '01 Avalon.

The Stable:
'00 Camry (adult daughter's)
'03 Avalon (daily driver)
'04 Avalon (wife's)
'05 Solara (adult son's)
'01 Silverado
post #3 of 10 Old 01-26-2019, 07:25 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
The most likely cause of the brake noise is the dust shields rubbing against the rotors. The rear ones are especially bad for that. If simply bending them away from the rotor doesn't prevent them from touching, then rip them off completely. They are usually so rusted that they've lost all their strength. You'll notice that the "heatshield" part is much thinner metal than the "backing plate" part that the park brake shoes are attached to. Leave the backing plate on. P.S. New ones are like $150 each...really not necessary. I have 5 Avalons...4 have the heatshield removed!
If that doesn't solve the noise issue, then pull the caliper and pads, rotate the rotor and listen if the parking brake assembly is the culprit. Sometimes the brake shoe mounting hardware rusts/breaks or was incorrectly installed. Check out my youtube video
Note the tabs on the spring washers that retain the shoes (@8:50 minute mark). Also notice the if spacer bar is installed correctly.

As far as the original question in your post: Did you install complete "QuickStruts" that included new springs, etc OR did you change over your old springs onto new struts? I would begin by checking the upper mount bolts (the 3 behind the seat cushion) to make sure they are coming loose. If you did re-use the old springs, it is easy to mis-align the rubber isolator that goes between the spring and the strut. It could also be the top cap out of position or worn out. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-01-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
♒DOPE♒

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQ View Post
Your post was of interest to me as I am looking into getting rid of the rear clunks from my '03 Avalon this spring.

My guess would be the sway bar itself is causing the problems. I say this because in looking at Whiteline's online catalog, I see no sway bar or adjustable sway bar offerings for the '01 Avalon.
Whiteline does have the swaybar kit for the 2nd gen Avalon. The Whiteline swaybar kit is called "BTR39" which is for the 4th generation Camry. It fits perfectly, however, however I think the issue I am having is I did not properly install the adjustable end links. I am going to do a lot of messing around with the car come spring, because I have no access to a garage and it's to snowy and cold outside.

post #5 of 10 Old 02-01-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
♒DOPE♒

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by professor sir View Post
The most likely cause of the brake noise is the dust shields rubbing against the rotors. The rear ones are especially bad for that. If simply bending them away from the rotor doesn't prevent them from touching, then rip them off completely. They are usually so rusted that they've lost all their strength. You'll notice that the "heatshield" part is much thinner metal than the "backing plate" part that the park brake shoes are attached to. Leave the backing plate on. P.S. New ones are like $150 each...really not necessary. I have 5 Avalons...4 have the heatshield removed!
If that doesn't solve the noise issue, then pull the caliper and pads, rotate the rotor and listen if the parking brake assembly is the culprit. Sometimes the brake shoe mounting hardware rusts/breaks or was incorrectly installed. Check out my youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_mg_C14ySI Note the tabs on the spring washers that retain the shoes (@8:50 minute mark). Also notice the if spacer bar is installed correctly.

As far as the original question in your post: Did you install complete "QuickStruts" that included new springs, etc OR did you change over your old springs onto new struts? I would begin by checking the upper mount bolts (the 3 behind the seat cushion) to make sure they are coming loose. If you did re-use the old springs, it is easy to mis-align the rubber isolator that goes between the spring and the strut. It could also be the top cap out of position or worn out. Good luck.
Thank you for the helpful information, I greatly appreciate it. Also, with everything you said taken into consideration, I will check everything.

post #6 of 10 Old 02-02-2019, 03:09 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off The Heezay View Post
Whiteline does have the swaybar kit for the 2nd gen Avalon. The Whiteline swaybar kit is called "BTR39" which is for the 4th generation Camry. It fits perfectly, however, however I think the issue I am having is I did not properly install the adjustable end links. I am going to do a lot of messing around with the car come spring, because I have no access to a garage and it's to snowy and cold outside.
What the heck?!?!?! Went to their site again and found it. You're right...my bad! Sorry.

The Stable:
'04 Avalon (wife's)
'05 Solara (adult son's)
'01 Silverado
post #7 of 10 Old 03-22-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
♒DOPE♒

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQ View Post
What the heck?!?!?! Went to their site again and found it. You're right...my bad! Sorry.
Haha, not a problem. Sway bar works great, still trying to chase the clunking sound. I will be jacking up my car tomorrow and properly installing the end links. I don't think I installed them correctly is why the clunking issue is occurring. I will definitely update this thread once I fix the issue.

post #8 of 10 Old 03-24-2019, 11:09 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Clunking Sound

I had a 98 Avalon with a clunking sound. The problem was on the front right side, it turned out to be the sway-bar link bushing had disintegrated. The hose from the reservoir to the power steering pump was leaking fluid onto the sway-bar bushing, I repaired the leaking hose and replaced the bushing and all was good!
Further research I found out that rubber and Petroleum based products don't play well together, I recommend using Silicon based lubricants on rubber bushings.
That's my 2 Cents, for what it's worth! Good Luck, You're definitely in the right place to get some good advice.

98 Avalon 485,000 miles Sold, it was still going strong
01 Avalon 242,000 miles (daily driver)
post #9 of 10 Old 04-06-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
♒DOPE♒

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by professor sir View Post
If that doesn't solve the noise issue, then pull the caliper and pads, rotate the rotor and listen if the parking brake assembly is the culprit. Sometimes the brake shoe mounting hardware rusts/breaks or was incorrectly installed. Check out my youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_mg_C14ySI Note the tabs on the spring washers that retain the shoes (@8:50 minute mark). Also notice the if spacer bar is installed correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1trueGOD View Post
I had a 98 Avalon with a clunking sound. The problem was on the front right side, it turned out to be the sway-bar link bushing had disintegrated. The hose from the reservoir to the power steering pump was leaking fluid onto the sway-bar bushing, I repaired the leaking hose and replaced the bushing and all was good!
Further research I found out that rubber and Petroleum based products don't play well together, I recommend using Silicon based lubricants on rubber bushings.
That's my 2 Cents, for what it's worth! Good Luck, You're definitely in the right place to get some good advice.

98 Avalon 485,000 miles Sold, it was still going strong
01 Avalon 242,000 miles (daily driver)
FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!

So, as expected... I didn't install the adjustable end links correctly. Last time, the issue was the bushings, and now this time, I didn't install the adjustable end links correctly. YOU HAVE TO GET RID OF THE PRELOAD OR YOU WILL BREAK YOUR END LINKS. Since they are adjustable, you have to get rid of the preload because it's very easy to have both end links not properly even or one side could have preload. I then jacked up the car and found that the end link was popped off of its thread where you twist and adjust it. The end link was loose and was not properly installed with TONS of preload onto it I'm assuming.

I simply fixed this issue by unbolting both end links at the bottom end where they connect to the rear sway bar, then slapped the wheels back on and dropped the car onto its tires so the end links are dangling and loose and not yet connected to the swaybar. Then I drove back and fourth to get the suspension settled just in case it had preload. Once I did that a few times, I then jacked the car up and only put ONE end link bolted to the swaybar then dropped the car again. Now that one side has the proper length, now it's time to get rid of the preload off of the rear swaybar. I then dropped the car again so the one side had a fully bolted on end link, and the other side had the bottom end unbolted... then I got under the car (WHILE THE CAR IS ON THE GROUND AND THE FULL WEIGHT OF THE CAR IS ON THE SUSPENSION.) I then took the other end link and adjusted it where you can slide it through easily without resistance. It's a true pain in the ass and tight getting under the car while it's on the ground if you don't have car ramps or a lift, but you just have to keep adjusting until the final end link can slide freely through the end link hole and then bolt very tight and you are done!

Did a quick test by pushing down hard on the rear of the car, no more clunk or squeaking from the rear end. CLUNKING NOISE IS NOW GONE WHILE DRIVING AS WELL AND HANDLES SO AMAZING!

Now, I do have to say the adjustable end links are so much more work, but it's so much more worth it. Plus it compliments the performance Whiteline BTR39 20mm sway bar kit that I have installed. The stock sway bar is 16mm and the Whiteline is 20mm so a 4mm in difference IT HANDLES LIKE A DREAM!!!!!!! AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE COILOVERS. The car takes corners so much better and body roll is reduced drastically. BEST DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR MOD MONEY CAN BUY HANDS DOWN! The car feels more fine tuned so I'm a happy guy!

Now, as for the brake issue with the squeaking professor sir was absolutely correct. The heat shield was bent towards the rotors and was causing rubbing and squeaking. So, I just ripped it off completely Oops :p .... The heat shield on these cars really get in the way over time, I had to rip off the other heat shield on one occasion because it literally just fell off and it was rattling so loud.

Anyways, thank you so much for everyones support on finding the solution, glad you guys are here to help when needed.
Only1trueGOD likes this.

Last edited by Off The Heezay; 04-06-2019 at 11:59 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-07-2019, 09:11 PM
Official TN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off The Heezay View Post
The car feels more fine tuned so I'm a happy guy!
The fact that you're happy with it, is what counts the most! Thanks for the update and the methods you went through.

The Stable:
'04 Avalon (wife's)
'05 Solara (adult son's)
'01 Silverado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > Avalon 2nd Generation (2000-2004)