Quintessential New England Gen2 Avalon moment - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Avalon 2nd Generation (2000-2004) Specific discussion of the second generation Toyota Avalon

3Likes
  • 2 Post By OleAvalon
  • 1 Post By OleAvalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-15-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quintessential New England Gen2 Avalon moment

It's 71 degrees, the sun has just dipped below the horizon. Everything is clear and light, and nothing of the sun disk is left to blind you.

You're on a winding road deep in some woods outside Boston. The leaves on the trees are finally fully open in a sea of differing greens. The road's just been re-paved for first time in 36 years. There are no cyclists, and you're playing a jazz around midnight CD that you got at a library sale for 50 cents. The guy behind you in a new BMW sports car is inexplicably driving the same speed you are, and there's no traffic coming toward you.

It's just you, in your living room chair, the high-hat, snare, sax, piano, and acoustic bass, and now and then a little hum of power as you go up a bit of a rise in the road.

I'm going to have to re-create this when the time comes to sell this car, so I can make a video brochure and say to prospective buyers, "Here's exactly what driving this car is like."
MacQ and insightbrewery like this.

01 Avalon XL
03 Avalon XL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-17-2019, 10:06 PM
Official TN Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleAvalon View Post
playing a jazz around midnight CD that you got at a library sale for 50 cents.
So you're a fan of jazz music?

Back in my early 20's I played with a band called JPM for about 2 years. Depending on the venue, JPM stood for either "Jammin' Past Midnight" or "Jazz Past Midnight." We were an 8-piece group as well. Jazz was our first love, but in order to find steady gigs, we played other styles as well.

Although I never quit my day job (again) after age 25, I did freelance on trombone and bass for a total of 36 years. I haven't played any since the last weekend of June 2010 (a small jazz festival).

My biggest claim in ever coming close to fame: I toured with Bobby Vinton and his Las Vegas show tour in 1981.

The Stable:
'00 Camry (adult daughter's)
'03 Avalon (daily driver)
'04 Avalon (wife's)
'05 Solara (adult son's)
'01 Silverado
post #3 of 7 Old 06-18-2019, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQ View Post
From time to time, mostly cool jazz era. Missed on the title of the CD -- it's a Canadian shovel-ware collection of cuts from 1986-92 called "Jazz by Candlelight" and has Chet Baker, Manhattan Project, Art Blakey / Jazz Messengers and lot of (good) people whose names I don't recognize.

Quote:
Back in my early 20's I played with a band called JPM for about 2 years. Depending on the venue, JPM stood for either "Jammin' Past Midnight" or "Jazz Past Midnight." ....Although I never quit my day job (again) after age 25, I did freelance on trombone and bass for a total of 36 years.... My biggest claim in ever coming close to fame: I toured with Bobby Vinton and his Las Vegas show tour in 1981.
So, a solid sideman. Unsung heroes behind every great track.

01 Avalon XL
03 Avalon XL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-18-2019, 07:22 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
From time to time, mostly cool jazz era. Missed on the title of the CD -- it's a Canadian shovel-ware collection of cuts from 1986-92 called "Jazz by Candlelight" and has Chet Baker, Manhattan Project, Art Blakey / Jazz Messengers and lot of (good) people whose names I don't recognize.

So, a solid sideman. Unsung heroes behind every great track.
Looked up the CD on alltunes. Good CD with great tunes and artists (Chet Baker is a big-time favorite mine).

You know the term, sideman? Wow, are you an old musician and/or an AFofM union man?

The Stable:
'00 Camry (adult daughter's)
'03 Avalon (daily driver)
'04 Avalon (wife's)
'05 Solara (adult son's)
'01 Silverado
post #5 of 7 Old 06-18-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Looked up the CD on alltunes. Good CD with great tunes and artists (Chet Baker is a big-time favorite mine).

You know the term, sideman? Wow, are you an old musician and/or an AFofM union man?
Neither. A long time ago, I did some scriptwriting for a multimedia company in Detroit that had been founded by 3 Motown sidemen. Can't remember their names. One developed into an animation genius -- consulted for Disney, did fabulous Pontiac Firebird commercials.
MacQ likes this.

01 Avalon XL
03 Avalon XL
post #6 of 7 Old 06-18-2019, 09:31 PM
short-throw dipstick

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:
The guy behind you in a new BMW sports car is inexplicably driving the same speed you are
LOL such a rare occurrence

sounds like a great time otherwise

00 Camry 5S-FE 184k smoooth
01 ES300 147k NEEDS TRANS WORK
01 Insight 137k BROKEN CAMSHAFT
02 Insight 178k DC-DC BELLY-UP

08 STS-V 67k 570 RWHP!
01 Viggen 112k 400 FWHP
post #7 of 7 Old 06-18-2019, 09:35 PM
short-throw dipstick

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Quote:

Back in my early 20's I played with a band called JPM for about 2 years. Depending on the venue, JPM stood for either "Jammin' Past Midnight" or "Jazz Past Midnight." We were an 8-piece group as well. Jazz was our first love, but in order to find steady gigs, we played other styles as well.

Although I never quit my day job (again) after age 25, I did freelance on trombone and bass for a total of 36 years. I haven't played any since the last weekend of June 2010 (a small jazz festival).

My biggest claim in ever coming close to fame: I toured with Bobby Vinton and his Las Vegas show tour in 1981.

(1:41)

If you guys are ever in the Santa Clara, CA area, check out JJ's Blues (https://www.sanjose.org/listings/jjs-blues), and grab a slice from A Slice of NY down the street while you're at it. Also, The Cats restaurant down in Los Gatos often has local jazz talent playing, along with great barbecue and gumbo.

00 Camry 5S-FE 184k smoooth
01 ES300 147k NEEDS TRANS WORK
01 Insight 137k BROKEN CAMSHAFT
02 Insight 178k DC-DC BELLY-UP

08 STS-V 67k 570 RWHP!
01 Viggen 112k 400 FWHP
The Following User Says Thank You to insightbrewery For This Useful Post:
MacQ (06-18-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > Avalon 2nd Generation (2000-2004)