multiple electrical issues occurred simultaneously - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Avalon 3rd Generation (2005-2012) Specific discussion of the third generation Toyota Avalon

1Likes
  • 1 Post By OleAvalon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-09-2019, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
multiple electrical issues occurred simultaneously

2008 Avalon XLS w/208,000 miles. Been a great car. BUT.......

Suddenly I have various electrical issues that occurred simultaneously a week ago. Here they are:
1.Outside Temp reads "E"
2.Headlights dont work on auto, and only low beams work when switching lights to ON (versus Auto)
3.no "beep" when locking/unlocking car using remote (locks do activate, just no beep)
4.wipers dont work in any mode other than HIGH (fast) and windshield wash doesnt work
5.AC seems to be warm, even though it functioned great prior to this episode
6.Car seemed to overheat when idling for a while in park....like the radiator fan was not running when it should have been.

QUESTION TO READERS: what could be causing this????

After a week of this, I went to get in the car and noticed the "beep" was back when I unlocked the doors using remote fob. YES!! Sure enough all was back to normal, with all the above symptoms gone. Well that lasted about 10 minutes and suddenly all the above issues came back.

I searched the internet and thought maybe my "Power Supply Control Module" was to blame. Some folks referred to it as the "Body Control Module", "Power Source Module", etc.... I found a Toyota part number of 8967041010, which is also referred to as 89618A on diagrams showing the location of modules in the car. This module purportedly powers lots of functions in the car, like the ones I was having issues with. This part is ~$1000 from Toyota, but you can find working used ones on EBay for $50 or so.

I decided I would replace it with a used one and see if that did the trick. But, I cannot find this part in the car. A diagram showed it as being in/under the dash, near the right side of the center console. I removed the glove box, kick panel, radio, etc... and could not find this module up in the area where the diagram showed. There were a couple "modules" up behind the glove box, but neither was this part number.

QUESTIONS to experienced Avalon Mechanics: is this module the likely culprit? Any other things I should be looking at? and, Where the heck is this thing located? How do I get to it?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-09-2019, 06:25 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I would look at the battery, then for a bad grounds.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-09-2019, 12:42 PM
Mechanic by Necessity!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I agree with Old Mechanic. Bad grounds can cause lots of weird issues. This is probably not your issue, but on my 2008, I had the ABS light illuminate, the entire information display (HVAC display, fuel mpg/range, etc) go out, radiator fans not work (and some other stuff I'm probably forgetting) all at the same time. For that it turned out to be the ABS Control Module. I got a used ABS Valve/Module assembly on ebay from LKQ in Houston TX for $115 and that solved my issue (I just replaced the module part of the assembly on mine). Cheers!

2007 Camry LE, 2.4L, 160k miles
2008 Avalon LE, 3.5L, 240k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-09-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Ground locations ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I would look at the battery, then for a bad grounds.
Thatís easier said than done! Any idea on ground locations that need checked for this car (2008 Avalon xls)? There are ground circuits throughout this car and I really donít know where to start.

Iím still hoping someone will enlighten me as to where the Power Control Module is located and how to get to it.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-09-2019, 09:16 PM
Avalon Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Refer to attached drawing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg body ECU location.jpg (53.8 KB, 10 views)
post #6 of 14 Old 05-10-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inov8 View Post
Refer to attached drawing.
Thank you, Inov8!

So now does anyone know which of these modules failing would likely cause my symptoms?

The BODY ECU, or the POWER SOURCE ECU?
post #7 of 14 Old 05-10-2019, 11:55 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Before unleashing the parts cannon... electronic things -- modules -- don't generally exhibit intermittent operation. When they quit, they quit forever.

Things like grounds (as Old Mechanic said), corroded fuse contacts, and wiring connectors can easily exhibit intermittent operation. So can wire runs, especially where they feed through holes in the body or are buried in thick bundles of wires that can vibrate or rub against components.

You need a wiring diagram. You'd benefit from watching youTubes around electrical diagnosis. Tracking down these gremlins can eat up a lot of time... or, sometimes, you get lucky and simply unplugging a module's connector, cleaning away any sign of corrosion, and re-plugging it will make it all work again.
stvotw likes this.

01 Avalon XL
03 Avalon XL
post #8 of 14 Old 05-10-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
OleAvalon, I agree with you. I will try to find a wiring diagram and that should help me figure out which module feeds all the components that have quit working, as well as associated connectors & grounds to check. thats my next search on this forum.

I have had a MOPAR truck with a bad power distribution module ("TIPM") that intermittently failed. Bad solder joint.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-10-2019, 08:24 PM
Avalon Enthusiast

Do the individual door courtesy lights work? How about the remote trunk release? I ask because both of these are operated by the body computer.
The body computer also drives the door lock motors, which you mentioned are working. This suggests at least part of the body computer is functioning.

You could have a failure in the Body Electronics Network (single-wire low frequency Multiplex system). Here is some information copied from page BE-17 of the Avalon tech training manual:

Diagnosis of BEAN (Body Electronics Area Network)
If a malfunction occurs on BEAN communication line, Body ECU stores the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) in its memory. The 5-digit DTCs for BEAN communication can be read by connecting a hand-held tester to the Data Link. For details, see the Avalon Repair Manual.
The ECM uses CAN protocol for Data Link diagnostic communication. Therefore, a hand-held tester and a dedicated adapter [CAN VIM (Vehicle Interface Module)] are required for accessing diagnostic data.

Yet another possibility is one of the fuses for the body computer is making intermittent connection. You could try removing the ECU-ACC fuse and see if any new symptoms appear. If one or more does, the that fuse was not the problem.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-11-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Inov8, thanks for the info. Iíll check that fuse. Note that there are no warning lights that have appeared on my dash.

Isthe tester your referring to is the same one you plug into the dash to read check engine codes? I donít have one but can run to oreillys if that will help diagnose this issue.....
post #11 of 14 Old 05-11-2019, 11:25 AM
Avalon Enthusiast

The fuse is a long shot, but I am a proponent of trying easy diagnostics first to see what else I might be able to learn.

The scan tools at Autozone, O'Reillys, etc. usually can only read generic codes that conform to the universal On Board Diagnostics standard. It may not read manufacturer-specific codes. The dealers have a scan tool that runs Toyota's proprietary software, called "Techstream". Others on the forum have reported success with Techstream software and a USB interface purchased on eBay. They used a laptop to scan for Toyota-specific codes. Go to eBay and type Techstream in the search box.

Hopefully a more knowledgeable member will expand on this.

post #12 of 14 Old 05-11-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Dang, the fuse was good. I hate to do it, but may have to get this looked at by a real mechanic.

I am thinking about buying the Body ECU on eBay and trying it first if I can get it under $50.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-13-2019, 11:31 AM
New TN User

I have similar problem 08 xls. Dont buy used ecm/pcm you will spend more money in long run. Such as having to resync ecm and possibly keys cut for car by a locksmith like myself . Go to flagship one online . I just got my ecm today . Preprogram and resync tool included. $205 and life time warranty . You may pay 50 for part but no telling how much locksmith will charge for easy job
post #14 of 14 Old 05-16-2019, 12:26 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
FWIW, I had an old Chrysler where day 2 of ownership, strange electrical faults started. I knew those cars very sensitive to low voltage. New battery, and cleaned up every fuse I could find. No Gremlins after that.
How old is battery, what's resting voltage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Avalon Forum > Avalon 3rd Generation (2005-2012)