1998 Caldina GT-T Custom Cold Air Intake (CAI) Install *PICS* - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Caldina Forum Discussion area for all generations or the Toyota Caldina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 59 Old 01-07-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Full Throttle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevE8 View Post
Yeah, am sure it's something simple...guaranteed to be tedious!

Hols were good, got used to sleeping in though so the mornings this week were extra tough!

Just the LCD screen though? I'd still need the pod to fill the rest of the space?

Will keep you posted. Am keen to do the CAI but first things first!
Yeah it's the screen and the whole pod. You may have to run the wires to the ECU though, as I'm not sure if they're factory wired on the models with the storage compartment. I'll see if he still has it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 59 Old 01-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Practical Power

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi-Corolla View Post
Yeah it's the screen and the whole pod. You may have to run the wires to the ECU though, as I'm not sure if they're factory wired on the models with the storage compartment. I'll see if he still has it
That would be great, thanks! Have got some peeps that might be able to help me but yeah sounds like it could be tricky.
post #18 of 59 Old 02-16-2011, 01:00 AM
New TN User

Mate, thanks heaps for all of this info.

I can't wait to get some time to do this. i have a few questions though.

1) How long do you think this will all take. (Im pretty good with cars as my father was a panel beater)

2) Would it still work leaving the pod filter in the old location where the air box is using the current intake pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 59 Old 02-16-2011, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Full Throttle

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftingyou View Post
Mate, thanks heaps for all of this info.

I can't wait to get some time to do this. i have a few questions though.
You're very welcome . To answer your questions:

Quote:
1) How long do you think this will all take. (Im pretty good with cars as my father was a panel beater)
It should take you anywhere from one hour to three hours. This was only the second custom cold air intake I had made (the first being on my Corolla) so it took around 2-hours from start to finish. Make sure you double-check any measurements or markings before cutting the pipes (being sure to factor in any extra lengths for silicone joiners to slide onto), and most importantly, don't rush.

Quote:
2) Would it still work leaving the pod filter in the old location where the air box is using the current intake pipe.
I would strongly suggest that you avoid locating the pod filter anywhere in the engine bay. My brother did that at first and noticed that there was a lot more lag due to heat-soak and immediately reverted back to the K&N panel filter he was using in the standard airbox. After that I offered to make him a cold air intake and he's been happy ever since . The Caldina's engine bay gets very hot, so the last thing you want is for that hot air to enter the turbo and affect engine performance. Doing so will defeat all purpose in creating a cold air intake, and will essentially turn the set-up into a short ram intake (also know as warm air intake). Routing the pod filter behind the bumper is the only way to ensure that you're getting the coldest air possible

post #20 of 59 Old 02-26-2011, 11:35 PM
New TN User

Im sorry if i sound stupid, but i am a little confused.

I understand we need the air flow sensor on the piping. But what do i do with all the other ins and outs that are currently going into my airbox???? do i plug them up??? i am unsure

Also where can i get the pipes and silicon joiners from? Autobarn/Repco ok to order??
post #21 of 59 Old 02-27-2011, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Full Throttle

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Im sorry if i sound stupid, but i am a little confused.

I understand we need the air flow sensor on the piping. But what do i do with all the other ins and outs that are currently going into my airbox???? do i plug them up??? i am unsure

Also where can i get the pipes and silicon joiners from? Autobarn/Repco ok to order??
I'm glad you asked as that's a very good question. The two larger hoses coming from the airbox can simply be left open, however I'd suggest getting a small breather filter for each one of them. Alternatively, a cheaper option is to use a small piece of a woman's stocking and cable tie it over the end of the each hose. That's just to prevent any dust etc entering into them. Make sure you don't block these hoses up at all. The small vacuum hose that leads to your BOV will have a factory T-piece on it. Block one of the hoses that branches off the T-piece with a small screw/bolt. Alternatively, just buy a straight connector and join the hoses together. I hope that all made sense. Let me know if you have any questions

As for the silicone joiners, you can get them from any auto parts store. Typically Repco are expensive for things like that, so it would probably be cheaper to order them from eBay

post #22 of 59 Old 02-27-2011, 01:20 AM
TN's Hapa Haole

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Thanked 1,291 Times in 1,041 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Nice job Scott!
Isn't that a 3sgte? I dont see an AFM anywhere?
post #23 of 59 Old 02-27-2011, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Full Throttle

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2Jedi View Post
Nice job Scott!
Isn't that a 3sgte? I dont see an AFM anywhere?
Thanks Russ! Yep, it's a 3S-GTE. It's a fourth generation 3S-GTE so it has a probe-type air intake temperature sensor as opposed to an AFM

post #24 of 59 Old 02-27-2011, 01:28 AM
TN's Hapa Haole

Lifetime Supreme Member
OK.
I didn't know they even still built the 3sgte.
It really does look good
post #25 of 59 Old 02-27-2011, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Full Throttle

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2Jedi View Post
OK.
I didn't know they even still built the 3sgte.
It really does look good
Yeah the last of the 3S-GTE engines were put in the 2002-2007 Caldina GT Fours. My brother's one originally had a plastic grille over the intercooler, but we took it off for extra airflow.

Here's what it looks like in completely stock form (random pic from the net) -

And here's what the 3S-GTE in the Caldina GT Four looks like (basically exactly the same aside from a different intercooler grille and a different set-up for the washer bottle and radiator overflow) -

post #26 of 59 Old 02-27-2011, 01:59 AM
TN's Hapa Haole

Lifetime Supreme Member
Interesting.
Thats a decent size IC. Not sure, but it looks bigger than my stock side mount was.
post #27 of 59 Old 04-05-2011, 05:55 PM
New TN User

1997 Caldina GT-T Tiptronic

Hey Kiwi-Corolla,

A CAI installed like this will still benefit the tiptronic Caldina GT-T, won't it? I ask because I've had a mechanic categorically tell me that its a waste of time, and i suspect that an element of laziness might be a more likely culprit. Infact for that matter would I be able to chuck an aftermarket BOV on as well? (another thing he said was a waste of time).

Regards,
Greg

Last edited by n0ugh7; 04-05-2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: BOV
post #28 of 59 Old 04-05-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Full Throttle

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ugh7 View Post
Hey Kiwi-Corolla,

A CAI installed like this will still benefit the tiptronic Caldina GT-T, won't it? I ask because I've had a mechanic categorically tell me that its a waste of time, and i suspect that an element of laziness might be a more likely culprit. Infact for that matter would I be able to chuck an aftermarket BOV on as well? (another thing he said was a waste of time).

Regards,
Greg
Hey Greg,

Yes, this type of CAI will greatly benefit a tiptronic Caldina GT-T. In fact, my brother's car (the one I made this CAI for) is a tiptronic . Don't listen to that mechanic . A good aftermarket BOV will also help as it reduces the turbo spool-up time. Both of these mods are very worthwhile, even just for the sound alone

Regards,
Scott.

post #29 of 59 Old 04-06-2011, 12:39 AM
New TN User

Kiwi-Corolla,

thanks. The other thing I wanted to ask, at the risk of sounding a bit dim. is there anything special I need to look for in terms of a aftermarket BOV? I'm new to the whole car thing, but I've heard talk of different BOV's working at different pressures and that kind of thing. do I just look for something that can handle 14-16psi (0.6-0.8 bar)?

Regards,
Greg
post #30 of 59 Old 04-06-2011, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Full Throttle

Lifetime Supreme Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ugh7 View Post
Kiwi-Corolla,

thanks. The other thing I wanted to ask, at the risk of sounding a bit dim. is there anything special I need to look for in terms of a aftermarket BOV? I'm new to the whole car thing, but I've heard talk of different BOV's working at different pressures and that kind of thing. do I just look for something that can handle 14-16psi (0.6-0.8 bar)?

Regards,
Greg
No problem . There isn't really anything special that you need to look for when buying an aftermarket BOV. Just be sure to stick to well known brands such as Blitz, HKS, Turbosmart etc. The inlet size doesn't have to be very large for 14-16psi and it would be best to get a universal adapter so you can easily mount it to the existing rubber hose which connects to the OEM BOV. The adapter will have a metal tube on the end which eliminates the need for any welding.

Each BOV makes a different sound, so it depends on the sound and look you like the best. You can hear what some of them sound like on YouTube. My brother has a Blitz BOV on his GT-T and it makes a very loud psshh sound. The HKS SSQV BOVs seem to make a chirping noise (a bit like a whistle in a ***** match). You also have the choice of plumbing it back in to the intake like the OEM BOV is set-up, which would make it silent and stealthy. Stay away from the cheap knock off BOVs and you should be as good as gold

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Division and International Models Forums > International Model Forum > Caldina Forum