Toyota Nation Forum banner

considering a Yaris 2017

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Chicagoland 
#1 ·
I recently rented a yaris and like the car. It has great pickup speed and easy to get around. The gas mileage is great. My question is would I be able to drive this car to the mountains - going up steep grade and down steep grade - gaining an elevation of 6000 feet but driving on a paved road? I know the horsepower of the car is only 103. I would appreciate any sharing of experience going up and down. Again it is not for off road.

Thanks.

#4 ·
I recently rented a yaris and like the car. It has great pickup speed and easy to get around. The gas mileage is great. My question is would I be able to drive this car to the mountains - going up steep grade and down steep grade - gaining an elevation of 6000 feet but driving on a paved road? I know the horsepower of the car is only 103. I would appreciate any sharing of experience going up and down. Again it is not for off road.

Thanks.[/QUOT

They were used on an episode of The Amazing Race, a few seasons ago. I don't recall if the teams were in Japan or not, but they appeared not to have too much trouble handing the mountains along with the weight of the 2 person team, cameraperson and driver.

#5 · (Edited)
I'd get it in stick (5-6 speed). Esp on grades--but that's just me. It's actually made by Mazda with a Mazda Engine, but the body and interior are designed/engineered by Toyota. But, like the venerable 1nz-fe engines that were put in the the earlier echos/xa or xb/yaris, I'm sure that 1.5 L SkyActiv-G I4 (or D) engine/car will do 300K+ miles if car is taken care of--proper maintenance, etc.

*edit: I could be wrong but I think the non 'ia' model Yaris, marketed as "Toyota Yaris" and not "Toyota Yaris iA" uses a Toyota engine--it might actually still be the 1nz-fe--not sure..at least when I was looking at 2018 Yaris. **correction looks like those use 2NR-FE.

#10 · (Edited)
I see that the 1.5 L SkyActiv-G I4 is direct gas injection. No thanks, high number of engines with DGI suffer for dirty intake valves since there is no fuel going past them to keep them clean. My coworker has a Nissan that is in the shop having the heads pulled because they are clogged up with PVC (oil) gases.

W95c

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.