New TN User
Join Date: Feb 2019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2008 yaris sedan automatic transmission issue
Hope you're all doing well. Hopefully i'm posting this in the correct forum as i'm new on here and wouldn't want to be breaking any rules.
I have a 2008 yaris sedan with 550,000km (driving training vehicle, so hard kilometres). Recently the transmission has been shifting pretty aggressively before warming up, which is pretty normal with this model. However, in the last week after about 2 hours of driving the rpm's simply shoot up randomly when cruising at a constant speed. We tried replacing the transmission fluid with genuine toyota fluid and some lucas transmisson anti slip, it made no difference.
From everything i've read, it is the transmission slipping. No error codes. The transmission shifts hard, but does shift otherwise.
I had a couple of questions for the experts:
1. Could it be the transmission solenoid or would that cause an error code?
2. Anything else to look over before assuming a transmission replacement is needed?
3. Found a locally used transmission with 115,000km , which the seller says shifted good upon removal.
4. Should the filter, magnet, and transmission fluid be replaced on the good used one we purchased?
5. Any reason an experienced technician couldn't replace the transmission if using jack stands and NOT a hoist?
Sorry for all the questions. It's a daily instructor vehicle, so i've got very little time to figure all this out!
Thanks you all in advance for your help!