2001 Echo Misfire or something else - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Yaris/Scion iA, Vitz and Echo Forum Discussion area for all the Toyota Yaris/Scion iA, Echo, and Vitz owners worldwide.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-05-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2001 Echo Misfire or something else

Hey all so i have an issue with my new old Echo. Bought the car cheap because it wasn't starting, Replaced the battery on the car when i bought it 4 months ago with 280,000 miles and it fired right up

So about a month ago i noticed it started misfiring and throwing P0300: Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected and P0303: Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected. So far i have replaced the spark plugs and ignition coils. I pulled, tested and cleaned the fuel injectors with the spare connector, battery and carb cleaner trick. Fired it up and it ran worse than before. I went to the scrap yard and grabbed some more fuel injectors and swapped them without doing the cleaning and got the same results, cleaned them out and no change. Compression test shows good about 180-190 psi. I had to replace the alternator because it went while doing all the tests.

I then started looking around and noticed the shop that did my catalytic converter and o2 sensors didn't replace the donut/flange gasket or springs and there was a 2 inch gap between the 2 pipes. I replaced those and although very much quieter and not doing as often nor as harsh, it's still misfiring, mostly at low rpm in gear, once it switches into 2nd about halfway to 3rd its fine, so around 30-35mph. Code reader is still throwing the same codes, always cylynder 3 and random, but it really doesn't sound like its anything coming from the engine itself...at least not where the cylinders are. If it is a misfire its very subtle and just kind of...putters?

I just want some opinions on what i should test before i take it to a shop. Also have some live data, which is all lost on me, of the test drive i did after the exhaust gasket.

Anyway thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.jpg (105.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 00.jpg (83.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 000.jpg (94.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 0000.jpg (88.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 00000.jpg (102.7 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-08-2019, 12:27 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Only suggestion I have is maybe look at the valve train? Starting with the easiest stuff first of course - check that cams are in time, sprockets are in good condition, anything weird looking under the valve cover basically
post #3 of 6 Old 03-21-2019, 10:58 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I will get a p300 if my gas gets below halfway. At startup, it will sometimes run rough and trigger the CEL. If I keep the gas more than half full, I'm ok. I think I may have a fuel delivery issue and/or ignition coils, as the fuel pump was replaced but not with an ideal replacement (got it from a wrecked scion and swapped top half with bottom half...so the fuel regulator, and filter, etc. prob not in best condition). Awhile back, I had also replaced the fuel injectors. So, one of these days, when I have the $$, I was going to redo the fuel pump properly (new strainer, fuel pressure regulator, pump seal, tank seal, etc) and replace all 4 ignition coils (I saw a few venders on ebay selling legit densos for $25)..not sure if anyone can vouch for those or not) and see of that fixes the issue.

Have you noticed any pattern with your issue w/ respect to your gas tank level?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-01-2019, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fixed! One of the new coils i got was faulty. Car runs like a champ now. Now lets just hope i didn't F the engine, driving for a few weeks with that misfire
post #5 of 6 Old 04-01-2019, 07:39 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
When my granddaughters lost a coil (P0301) I took 4 over where her car was and the first coil fixed her car. I tested the other 3 coils while I was there to avoid just what you went through. Glad you got it fixed, bought 4 coils for $40 at u wrench it just after buying her car 2 years ago. Now I have 7 good used coils, waiting for another one to crap out.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-01-2019, 09:34 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggySparx View Post
Fixed! One of the new coils i got was faulty. Car runs like a champ now. Now lets just hope i didn't F the engine, driving for a few weeks with that misfire
I'm sure you are OK. It no weird noises or anything, call it a job well done. Well Done!.

It's always nice when stuff get's fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Yaris/Scion iA, Vitz and Echo Forum