New loaded struts - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Yaris/Scion iA, Vitz and Echo Forum Discussion area for all the Toyota Yaris/Scion iA, Echo, and Vitz owners worldwide.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-28-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
New loaded struts

Took advantage of Rock Autos KYB "package" for my 2k Echo, loaded fronts and tube rears, with a $60 rebate that came out to about $170 for the set including shipping. The car will be 19 years old this July (prod date 7-00). Everything else is original, down to the sway bar bushings. I was surprised that there was not a huge difference in the ride quality compared to the originals. It would not have been enough for me to recommend them being replaced in my old shop, they could have gone another 100k miles or even more. It's hard to believe the longevity, when you replaced them regularly at 40-50k miles 50 years ago, realistically a 500% increase in longevity. My hat is off to Toyota in their cars of two decades ago, I doubt they will ever see that kind of combined longevity with the new stuff.

The take offs will go into my inventory for my granddaughter's car which at 215k miles has about 65k more than my Echo, When hers needs them they will go back on her car.

I do like the slightly better ride and handling, but I doubt any replacement built today will match the OE quality, maybe I'll drive it long enough to see. The loaded struts, including all the upper mounts and insulators are the way to go IMHO, it was actually an incentive to purchase, since the old Echos are fading away, but I think they worked on early Scion models, which probably helped keeping them available.

Edit:
God I'm getting old, I forgot the inner rack bushing (right side) that I got from the United Arab Emirates when I first bought the car. Now I have another whole rack assembly in my used parts inventory (can't get them anymore) unless used. If so it would probably cost close to what I paid for the car.

Last edited by Old Mechanic; 03-28-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-29-2019, 08:44 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Nice! About a yeah and a half ago I replaced the front struts with KYB Strut Plus or something. Basically a loaded gr-2. They seemed very similar
(if not the same, I dunno) as what was on the car originally. I did also end up replacing the control arms with moogs, links, and the sway bar bushings. No more creaking! <and motor mounts too>. Going on 223K miles. Way more reliable than our POS 2011 Rav4 ltd. V6.

Long live the Echos!

What's wrong with the Rav?

Last edited by zythr; 03-30-2019 at 11:22 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-03-2019, 11:34 PM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Speaking of less Echos, if you didn't know that Toyota axed off the Yaris hatchback as well in 2018...I just found that out at the dealer showroom.

I also seen a Echo guy with 382k on the little 1.5 motor at the gas station. Like holy crap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-04-2019, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd8000 View Post
Speaking of less Echos, if you didn't know that Toyota axed off the Yaris hatchback as well in 2018...I just found that out at the dealer showroom.

I also seen a Echo guy with 382k on the little 1.5 motor at the gas station. Like holy crap.

That's true, but the Yaris hatch is coming back as a 2020 model based off the Mazda 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Yaris/Scion iA, Vitz and Echo Forum