Picked up another Echo - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Yaris/Scion iA, Vitz and Echo Forum Discussion area for all the Toyota Yaris/Scion iA, Echo, and Vitz owners worldwide.

5Likes
  • 2 Post By Old Mechanic
  • 1 Post By shoersa
  • 2 Post By l33ch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-02-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Picked up another Echo

Owner was asking $500 with a bad transmission, got him down to $375 and my nephew helped me get it to his house, for the swap with my basically free part. Gave him $100 for the help and it was a pain in the ass, had to keep one wheel off the ground for it to move.These cars here are basically rust free. Got it running and moving and drove it to my house, 153,000 miles on the odometer 18 years old.

The interior was a mess, so I went to pick and pull this morning, they showed 3 in inventory. Man I struck a gold mine! A nice 4 door with a pristine interior donated the front and rear seats, carpet, door threshold mouldings and sill mouldings. PO had cream colored coupe interior in this 4 door and this wiped that out, leaving me the cream seats and carpet (2 door which doesn't fit a 4 door) which are actually very nice, even factory floor mats, LOL!

I was looking at the engine compartment of the donor car and noticed the vacuum purge valve for the evap emissions was new, looked under the rear and there sat a new charcoal canister assembly. Toyota marked, so I grabbed both of them. Total spend was $100, got home and put the interior stuff in the car and in the morning Ill put the canister and purge valve in my coupe, hopefully the end of the evap emissions codes P0440,0441,0446, if memory serves me.

Heck I would have paid that for the canister and valve. The $375 resurrection is going well, actually looks like it was when made, might even mess with the paint. Granddaughter needed one coil and an oil change in 15 months, LOL. The automotive equivalent of the energizer bunny.
l33ch and shoersa like this.

Last edited by Old Mechanic; 04-02-2019 at 08:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Mechanic For This Useful Post:
zythr (04-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-03-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I got all the brown stuff out and the interior is in it's original condition and better than 90% of new, a remarkable transformation from the mess it came in and not that much cost to fix it.

My evap codes have not shown up today in almost 100 miles since I replaced the purge valve and canister. Gas has jumped up here by 20% over the last two months, but still cheap so demand for Echos may be slow, we'll see. Tossed some Techron in the blue cars tank after a fill at Costco, $2.39 a gallon. 5.5 gallons 250 miles, not my best but blasting down the Interstate at 65-70 cost a little more.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-04-2019, 10:48 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the great "resurrection/transformation" story! 45 miles per gallon is fantastic. Yes, gas here has jumped up to the upper 3 dollar per gallon range.

I am doing something similar with our 94 V6 Camry. Several trips to the local Pick & Pull yards in search of parts. Latest was a search for a spare ECU in case this ever fails or in the case I want to confirm that a problem is or is not the ECU. Most 94 V6 camrys in the yard are missing their ECUs (someone got there before I did) but you I am sure can appreciate the joy when I found one that had it's ECU & it matched the numbers on mine (89661-33350). Got the ECU (lives in front of the glove box in the interior space) & mating connectors (for testing outside of the vehicle) for less than $80. Dealer price for ECU is north of $1000. Only check I could do at the yard was to remove the side cover and check for corrosion, rodents, insects, water etc. Looked good. Could not see the capacitors so had to take a gamble here. So far have not substituted it for our operating ECU - am a little gun shy about disturbing 25 year old wiring harnesses/connectors. Have powered it up outside the vehicle (ignition ON only, no start/crank) and got it to communicate with my OBD2 scan tool (yes, this vehicle is an early OBD2 vehicle). Half a dozen codes about bad sensors on the scan tool. Was able to fake each of these "bad" missing sensors with resistors till I got to the point that the scan tool reported "No trouble codes present".

Glad you are posting. Happy to hear someone else's experiences who is keeping an old car running on the cheap!
Old Mechanic likes this.

2018 Camry LE, A25A-FKS, JVIN, 7K
1994 Camry XLE V6, 1MZ-FE, JVIN, 241K
1991 Nissan Pathfinder KC Truck, KA24E, 5S/MT, 148K

Last edited by shoersa; 04-04-2019 at 10:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-04-2019, 01:37 PM
Official TN Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
That's awesome. My pet peeve when going to pick n pull, is the bastard that goes around and steals all the shift knobs from all the manual cars.

I have to remind myself sometimes...this/these are 19 or so year old cars. 19! That says a lot about these cars.

I doubt it would happen, but Toyota should re-release the Echo again for a couple years. Knowing, it may not sell well, as the original did, but the niche market is nurtured. Make it the same overall body style (and the small changes they would invariably make/update). But keep it true to the original in design and spirit. Keep with the 1nzfe. Keep it bare-bones and cheap. I'd buy one again. Oh well. It will never happen. But good to know, if I find one in a salvage yard or front/back yard somewhere, chances are with a little TLC (if any), it will still run.

I suggested to my gf to get a newer Yaris (non IA..-nothing against Mazda--I'm sure the skyactive is a fine motor), and she scoffed at me. It's that pot-belly look that the Echo has, that she loves, that no other cars seem to have. I used to give her soooo much shit on how ugly her car is, but when she isn't driving it, I tend to steal it often because the truth of it is (shhhhh!)...I love it too..hahah.
zythr and Old Mechanic like this.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-29-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Got around to the AC today, after realizing that the system's leak was huge, I blew some air in the low pressure line and found a chunk missing from the side of the compressor, never seen this before since starting to work on cars in 1968. Had a spare in my parts car inventory so tomorrow AM I'll swap it out, prefect timing since it is supposed to get close to 90 degrees tomorrow afternoon. That will finish the resurrection of this one and all the 3 that were at pick and pull are gone now, talk about good timing.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-01-2019, 09:05 AM
I Like Traffic Lights !!!

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We have had four of them, one sedan a 3 hatchbacks and they are an awesome little car.

My Toyota's ..2006 YARIS RS .., 2006 Corolla LE
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Bart68/Sigs/corsig.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to 05_Echo For This Useful Post:
Old Mechanic (05-04-2019)
post #7 of 13 Old 05-18-2019, 02:58 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_Echo View Post
We have had four of them, one sedan a 3 hatchbacks and they are an awesome little car.
have 2 in teh driveway.
got 1 at 175k and its sitting at 218k now... front end bearing issue but still goes great at high 30's mpg
this 2004 has added sunroof and cruise control-lifesaver.. i run about 15k miles/year or more....

the 2000 never does as good MPG but its at 175k now and still going fine. lots of door lock issues but otherwise fine.

just got a 2016 yaris LE 4dr... MPG not as good by almost 5mpg. more power though and since it only had 17k miles for $6,500, i had to get it.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-18-2019, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpanel View Post
have 2 in teh driveway.
got 1 at 175k and its sitting at 218k now... front end bearing issue but still goes great at high 30's mpg
this 2004 has added sunroof and cruise control-lifesaver.. i run about 15k miles/year or more....

the 2000 never does as good MPG but its at 175k now and still going fine. lots of door lock issues but otherwise fine.

just got a 2016 yaris LE 4dr... MPG not as good by almost 5mpg. more power though and since it only had 17k miles for $6,500, i had to get it.

Cruise control installed at the factory or dealer/aftermarket installed?
post #9 of 13 Old 05-18-2019, 06:38 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I was looking at the engine compartment of the donor car and noticed the vacuum purge valve for the evap emissions was new, looked under the rear and there sat a new charcoal canister assembly. Toyota marked, so I grabbed both of them. Total spend was $100, got home and put the interior stuff in the car and in the morning Ill put the canister and purge valve in my coupe, hopefully the end of the evap emissions codes P0440,0441,0446, if memory serves me.
I was farting around with a junkyard EVAP canister and you came to mind - how the hell do you remove that one little plastic vent connector?! I gave up after having visions of smashing the whole assembly into powder with a sledgehammer
post #10 of 13 Old 05-18-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I didn't do it the right way but I got it off. I think it is supposed to be rotated, but I used a small screwdriver to pry one "hook" off then keep tension until I got the other to release then it came off without damage. When assembled it just pops together, I think. I'll go out and look at it tomorrow when it is light and add information if I can get you any more. got to cut some grass early so be patient.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-18-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpanel View Post
have 2 in teh driveway.

Not sure if you can do this in other countries, but I had the local dealership cut keys by the serial number, instead of cutting duplicates. I had been fighting door lock issues on all of my Toyotas and these keys solved the problems, might work for you. New keys have a distinct shoulder right before the cut begins that keeps the insertion in exactly the same place as when new, try not inserting the key all the way in the lock cylinder, before trying to turn it. Mine all now work like brand new.

Sold the newest purchase (green 4 dr) two days ago for $1655, gave the buyer a $40 discount for a lug wrench and jack handle.
post #12 of 13 Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM
I Like Traffic Lights !!!

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by zythr View Post
Cruise control installed at the factory or dealer/aftermarket installed?
When we bought my wifes 05 Echo new at the dealer we ordered it with cruise control and it was an add on at the
dealer not from Toyota same as my 04 Hatchback, I know you could get a Yaris with factory cruise but I think the
Echos were all aftermarket.

My Toyota's ..2006 YARIS RS .., 2006 Corolla LE
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Bart68/Sigs/corsig.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to 05_Echo For This Useful Post:
zythr (Yesterday)
post #13 of 13 Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_Echo View Post
When we bought my wifes 05 Echo new at the dealer we ordered it with cruise control and it was an add on at the
dealer not from Toyota same as my 04 Hatchback, I know you could get a Yaris with factory cruise but I think the
Echos were all aftermarket.
That's what I thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Yaris/Scion iA, Vitz and Echo Forum