Clear coat failure on Yaris 8T0 blue color - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Yaris/Scion iA, Vitz and Echo Forum Discussion area for all the Toyota Yaris/Scion iA, Echo, and Vitz owners worldwide.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 04-03-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Clear coat failure on Yaris 8T0 blue color

So I was out washing my Yaris hatchback and notice that there was a random clear coat bubble out of no where. So I poked it and it was the clear coat. Seeing that made me check the car for other issues and I did find that the corners of the doors had the same issues. I am thinking of just sand it down with 2000 grit and touch it up with clear coat before it becomes worse.

Other than my hood's clear coat coming off like sheet protector. I wonder what causes that to happen? The first sign of that happening was the car was at operating temperature, then I parked it and it rain, after all of that I came out from work and it just bubbled and ripped. Just a sad sight after you clay it and wax it.

I just think it is time for the clear to go on a 12 year old eco car. I do notice that other people in the area with the same Yaris color have much much more than what I have. They have the whole car clear coat failing on every single panel like half way down to where the start of the tires are.

There is a lot that I do not know about clear coat failure on this 8t0 paint code. It just seems Toyota used some really crappy clear. I don't know how much longer can I preserve my blue before it goes. I do waxing about 3 months and it is parked outside.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-04-2019, 02:58 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I have a 01 echo 12 years is about the length of time my paint started to fail. But it's not a Toyota paint problem it's a every car problem. The sun plays the biggest part of paint failure. Paint experts will tell u that the heat from engine bay plus the sun is why on most cars the hood goes first. The roof starts peeling etc etc. Gets on my nerves but that's one reason why expensive car owners keep their cars in garage for most of the year and car sees very little sunshine. But Toyota does make a special wax product that provides extra protection for your paint. I had some that came free with car when we first bought it. Sorry been a while so forgot what it's called. I used it till I had to sit the car down for a year. So no washing no waxing left to the elements contributed to paint failure earlier than i wanted.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-06-2019, 10:30 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Had an ice storm, but a very fine ice fall. Almost like shoveling sugar. Next day after it was over. Cleaned off my car, but didn't notice anything.

Later on I saw and it look like someone poured milk on the roof of my car and it froze. Rubbed some areas and it flaked off.

Took another look later on and noticed it was the clear coat.

Gave it a clean and a spray of clear coat, but really didn't care. Car is 15 years old. Couple of other spots appearing, but will wait until it's warmer to fix. Have to wait for no wind days as I have no room in the garage

Interesting, but when I did a Toyota Yaris clear coat problem search. Blue cars showed up. Some red

DON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Yaris/Scion iA, Vitz and Echo Forum