2000 Echo P0440, 0441, 0446 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Yaris/Scion iA, Vitz and Echo Forum Discussion area for all the Toyota Yaris/Scion iA, Echo, and Vitz owners worldwide.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-21-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2000 Echo P0440, 0441, 0446

3 Confirmed Trouble Codes:
• P0440: EVAP System
• P0441: EVAP System Incorrect Purge Flow
• P0446: EVAP System Vent Control Circuit
3 Pending Trouble Codes:
• P0440: EVAP System
• P0441: EVAP System Incorrect Purge Flow
• P0446: EVAP System Vent Control Circuit

I just diagnosed and fixed code p0300 and p0303 cylinder 3 misfire. Once i finally got this fixed theses 3 codes showed up the very next day,
I noticed there's a hose connection with a missing hose attached to the air cleaner box (Image below). Not sure if that's just for a bleeder hose or if it's jst not available on the base model an was just left there,

If its not this hose on the air cleaner throwing the codes, what should i test?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0000000.jpg (113.9 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-21-2019, 10:07 AM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Mine was giving the same codes. I found another Echo at pick and pull and it had a practically new charcoal canister and purge valve so I grabbed them and put them on my car, problem solved.

The canister assembly is located under the car in front of the spare tire well, held by 3 bolts. The purge valve is located between the air intake snorkel after the air filter with a supply hose connected to the intake tract near the throttle plate and another hose running back to the firewall and down under the car to a group of hoses that go to the canister.

I had previously replaced the gas cap thinking I might get lucky, but the luck was finding the replaced components on a salvage car.

Rock auto has the replacement parts for right at $200 for the canister assembly and another $50 for the purge valve. You may get lucky trying to seal up cracked hoses in the end of the canister, but it did not work for me.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-21-2019, 10:52 AM
Official TN Member

In your photo the hose that is disconnected is the air supply hose to the purge system of the charcoal canister, a fresh air supply so reconnect it. However I don't think that is your problem. The purge valve is the part just above the disconnected hose. That is the part I replaced on mine along with the canister.

My hose (same as the one your had disconnected) was cracked and almost broken on 2 at the end when it connected to the air filter so I repaired it with some more hose, but I had no codes before that repair.

The disconnected hose is the air supply route to the purge system, using the existing air filter to provide clean air to the purge system. It is not "part" of the closed system which purges the gas fumes from the canister, just a source of clean air for the purge function.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-21-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
In your photo the hose that is disconnected is the air supply hose to the purge system of the charcoal canister, a fresh air supply so reconnect it. However I don't think that is your problem. The purge valve is the part just above the disconnected hose. That is the part I replaced on mine along with the canister.

My hose (same as the one your had disconnected) was cracked and almost broken on 2 at the end when it connected to the air filter so I repaired it with some more hose, but I had no codes before that repair.

The disconnected hose is the air supply route to the purge system, using the existing air filter to provide clean air to the purge system. It is not "part" of the closed system which purges the gas fumes from the canister, just a source of clean air for the purge function.

I'll try the purge valve and canister, got a few echos and yarises at the scrap yard. But are you sure that's the hose? Picture might not have been clear, there's a small hose at the bottom of the air cleaner that goes down to the canister. the two hoses on the purge valve; one's going to the canister and one's going down to the throttle body. sorry I'm not familiar with the evap system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.jpg (137.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 000.jpg (137.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 00.jpg (173.3 KB, 5 views)
post #5 of 5 Old 04-22-2019, 06:18 PM
Official TN Member

The bottom of the air filter housing is below the air filter, not where you want an unfiltered air supply going to evap emissions. Maybe it's supposed to be a drain hose? My hose, same as yours was hooked up to the nipple just below the purge valve (the one you have with nothing connected to it). That is filtered air for the evap system purge, not dirty unfiltered air. at least that makes sense to me, maybe someone has a diagram?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Yaris/Scion iA, Vitz and Echo Forum