Mex-Echo - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Yaris/Scion iA, Vitz and Echo Forum Discussion area for all the Toyota Yaris/Scion iA, Echo, and Vitz owners worldwide.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Sarmikgar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 06-18-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Mex-Echo

Don't post much so I thought I would share...

My sons 01 Echo 5 speed was in need of a clutch replacement for quite awhile, I ordered the clutch kit, flywheel and flywheel bolts and was planning to get it done sooner or later, time went by and it just kept getting put off. Eventually it couldn't wait anymore, my deadline had come and gone so I took the parts down to a good shop I have used before, they did the job and sadly the throwout bearing was chirping slightly(clutch was also super grabby), so I had them tear it apart again and replace the bearing. Unfortunately had the same result, at the time the shop tells me the pressure plate is not riding on the bearing correctly and that is the cause of the "chirp" sound. I had them replace it all except the flywheel and finally $2200 later no chirp, and clutch works great after some miles. We did some regular maintenance type stuff as the car hadn't gotten much love over the four years we owned it. Oil change, spark plugs, air filter, wipers, checked the brakes, topped up wiper fluid etc.. luckily tires were like new and spare was in good shape. We went over how to change a tire again just to be sure, bought fix a flat, and some "emergency kit" type stuff.

It was just in time because 3 days later on May 1st my 22 year old son left from Las Vegas, NV on a month long trip to the Grand Canyon, Mexico and Guatemala in his Echo. I was a little worried to say the least! He had a couple problems, ran a yellow stop sign, and was pulled over by the military, got a warning and better directions to his hotel that night. Pulled over by a policeman for "speeding" (my son says he was not speeding). Officer said he can pay the fine at the courthouse 20 miles away, but he cant drive there because "no license, but you can pay me here now..." so 3000 pesos later(about $150) he was on his way again.

Overall he had a great time and got to experience some awesome things, car was flawless, zero problems and was a perfect car for the trip. Over 5000 miles put on the car.

Thanks to this forum for oil capacity, best spark plugs, torque #'s and some other things we researched. Here's a few pics.

zythr and insightbrewery like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Yesterday, 12:19 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
That's pretty cool, I've been wanting to drive to Central/South America but have been unwilling to do so in my rock crawler 4runner or my motorcycle. Now that I have a cheap, not at all flashy car I just might head down there and practice my Spanish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Yaris/Scion iA, Vitz and Echo Forum