Best Echo Year to Buy? - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Yaris/Scion iA, Vitz and Echo Forum Discussion area for all the Toyota Yaris/Scion iA, Echo, and Vitz owners worldwide.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 Old 07-16-2018, 05:57 PM
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I drove mine like a maniac today to get to my brothers job site and help him with blow in insulation. Filled the tank on the way home 44.4 MPG last tank driving normally and using AC constantly. Mine just hit 155k miles and with the 7 hole BMW mini rims and 195-60-15 Bridgestone Ecopias it eats the Interstate cloverleafs for lunch. I've owned 200+ cars and this one is a keeper. My granddaughter bought the last one I had and she loves it, had a 15 MPG Jeep that fell apart. Neither car uses any oil and her's has 200k miles.

Bought a parts car and will have replacements for every mechanical part since Toyota decided to not offer manual rack inside bushings in the US I had to get one from the United Arab Emirates. Now I have a complete replacement rack. Been a tech, both body, paint and mechanical all my life and this car will last me until I probably stop driving in my mid to lat 70's. I would not trade it for anything, not for sale. Read all the bad reviews like my 2015 Mirage, laughing all the way to the bank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 08-18-2018, 04:12 AM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Echo 2005

@Old Mechanic : Planning to buy a 2005 with 256K kms and I live in Jeddah. What do you opinion on this? Also who is you contact in the UAE in case I need spare parts
Thanks and best

Last edited by hnajee; 08-18-2018 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Added name of receipient
post #33 of 41 Old 08-18-2018, 07:21 AM
Official TN Member

I searched ebay with the parts number that was no longer offered in the USA. It's been a while since I bought the part but I saved the plastic it came in so I had the part number and could search again if necessary. Now I have a complete manual rack and pinion from the parts car and it has no issues with the original bushing. I think the car had a bent rim and they kept driving it that way until the vibrations basically destroyed the bushing I had to replace. I'll try to get you a link to the Toyota parts catalog.

https://www.discountpartsmonster.com...ngine/body-cat

I would think with the mileage reading on your odometer that the car should still be fine. It's about the same as my 157k miles right now. The depends on your driving environment and the previous owners following the recommended maintenance intervals. I did an oil change on my grandaughters car yesterday and it had used no oil in 6000 km (3500 miles) and was still clean at 203k miles (over 325k kilometers).

To me the Echo was the peak of quality and simplicity, a very rare combination in the US. Most people here don't like it and my wife sometimes complains about that 18 year old car and how we can afford better. I tell her "if that's the way you feel we can take your car". My granddaughter loves hers and finds that her friends don't want to take hers on trips since none of them can even drive a manual. It took me about 90 minutes to teach her. She could get another 10 years out of hers.
zythr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 Old 08-18-2018, 09:35 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
@Old Mechanic :

Thanks a million for your detailed response. Your response made me feel confident on the Echo. Like you, my kids will go bananas when I buy the Echo. It will cost me less than US$1,200 (the one mentioned above). Can get one with about 160,000 kms (100,000 miles) for US$1,600; latter looks better maintained
Does Echo reliability make any difference if the engines here are smaller; 1.3 liter 2NZ-FE?? I think you have the 1.4 and 1.5 engines. Does that affect reliability. I am not concerned about acceleration; I am a retired 70 yr old and drive slower than I used to.

Thanks and best again.
Hussein
post #35 of 41 Old 10-19-2018, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I searched ebay with the parts number that was no longer offered in the USA. It's been a while since I bought the part but I saved the plastic it came in so I had the part number and could search again if necessary. Now I have a complete manual rack and pinion from the parts car and it has no issues with the original bushing. I think the car had a bent rim and they kept driving it that way until the vibrations basically destroyed the bushing I had to replace. I'll try to get you a link to the Toyota parts catalog.

https://www.discountpartsmonster.com...ngine/body-cat

I would think with the mileage reading on your odometer that the car should still be fine. It's about the same as my 157k miles right now. The depends on your driving environment and the previous owners following the recommended maintenance intervals. I did an oil change on my grandaughters car yesterday and it had used no oil in 6000 km (3500 miles) and was still clean at 203k miles (over 325k kilometers).

To me the Echo was the peak of quality and simplicity, a very rare combination in the US. Most people here don't like it and my wife sometimes complains about that 18 year old car and how we can afford better. I tell her "if that's the way you feel we can take your car". My granddaughter loves hers and finds that her friends don't want to take hers on trips since none of them can even drive a manual. It took me about 90 minutes to teach her. She could get another 10 years out of hers.

So true. Coincidence (or not) that Toyota quality seemed to decline after the ECHO was discontinued
post #36 of 41 Old 10-24-2018, 09:44 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zythr View Post
So true. Coincidence (or not) that Toyota quality seemed to decline after the ECHO was discontinued

That really IS true.

I've been disappointed in the newer cars and baffled by the style choices and quality over the past 5 years.

I was considering getting a new car but this thread inspired me to invest $1000 in my old echo and plan for another 50,000-100,000 miles on this beauty.
post #37 of 41 Old 10-25-2018, 09:00 AM

Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse View Post
That really IS true.

I've been disappointed in the newer cars and baffled by the style choices and quality over the past 5 years.

I was considering getting a new car but this thread inspired me to invest $1000 in my old echo and plan for another 50,000-100,000 miles on this beauty.
Good for you. It is sad in the decline of quality, maybe the financial crisis may be part of the reason?
post #38 of 41 Old 01-06-2019, 05:00 PM

Supreme Member
It seems others have found out how really good the ECHO is since it is getting harder to find a low mileage 1 owner especially in Green
post #39 of 41 Old 01-06-2019, 09:43 PM
Official TN Member

Mine is resting in the garage right now. I keep the battery charged and run it occasionally, drive the Mirage 7500 miles, then the Echo 7500 miles, about 6 months each or when the insurance renewal date comes up in mid March. Gas here is down to $1.88 last fill with my cost per mile below 4 cents for fuel. My pile of used parts just sits there waiting for a breakdown, so that almost guarantees it will not happen LMAO. The Mirage will stay under the powertrain warranty for 8-10 years and 100k miles that way, versus going off warranty in 6 years otherwise.

The old Echo even has the ancient design of metal window regulators, just about indestructible as long as you keep the guides and window channels fairly clean so they don't bind up and bend. No cables or plastic connectors or rollers to break. Even the interior door trim doesn't have any cardboard to rot. The only repair to the grandaughter's Echo was a pair of wire ties to keep the outside drivers door handle tight so it is flush when the door is closed, 30 minute repair, wire ties a few pennies each. I think 1200 miles a month for a total of $85 out the pocket for gas, insurance, tags and taxes is almost impossible to beat

I have noticed they are getting very hard to find in decent condition. I still have two gold doors and fenders. complete strut assemblies with the hubs, axles, complete, with boots uncracked. I can swap them out without even breaking the axle nuts loose.
post #40 of 41 Old 01-07-2019, 10:14 AM

Supreme Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Mine is resting in the garage right now. I keep the battery charged and run it occasionally, drive the Mirage 7500 miles, then the Echo 7500 miles, about 6 months each or when the insurance renewal date comes up in mid March. Gas here is down to $1.88 last fill with my cost per mile below 4 cents for fuel. My pile of used parts just sits there waiting for a breakdown, so that almost guarantees it will not happen LMAO. The Mirage will stay under the powertrain warranty for 8-10 years and 100k miles that way, versus going off warranty in 6 years otherwise.

The old Echo even has the ancient design of metal window regulators, just about indestructible as long as you keep the guides and window channels fairly clean so they don't bind up and bend. No cables or plastic connectors or rollers to break. Even the interior door trim doesn't have any cardboard to rot. The only repair to the grandaughter's Echo was a pair of wire ties to keep the outside drivers door handle tight so it is flush when the door is closed, 30 minute repair, wire ties a few pennies each. I think 1200 miles a month for a total of $85 out the pocket for gas, insurance, tags and taxes is almost impossible to beat

I have noticed they are getting very hard to find in decent condition. I still have two gold doors and fenders. complete strut assemblies with the hubs, axles, complete, with boots uncracked. I can swap them out without even breaking the axle nuts loose.
That's great that it is working out well for you.

You're so right they're getting hard to find in good condition . Most are either more than 1 owner, high mileage and/or has been in an accident.
post #41 of 41 Old 03-07-2019, 02:42 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
our 2001 Toyota Echo has a bit over 197,000 miles - still looks & drives fine...wasn't crazy about its looks when I first saw it, but like some others, it grew on me, and now I wouldn't change it for the world!!

Very cool. Its goodness must be spreading, since it is getting harder to find ones in good shape (no accidents), under 100K miles for sale. Those that are tend to go pretty quickly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7Mar2019 - zippy.jpg (51.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by zythr; 03-09-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Yaris/Scion iA, Vitz and Echo Forum