Water / coolant in no 1 spark plug well - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Yaris/Scion iA, Vitz and Echo Forum Discussion area for all the Toyota Yaris/Scion iA, Echo, and Vitz owners worldwide.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 Old 09-27-2018, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2372 Post(s)
Supreme Member
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by doverturtle View Post
I have been dealing with this issue for at least 5 years now. Water in the #1 spark plug hole, causing misfires. I finally discovered last year that water was leaking past the windshield washer nozzle assembly and onto the top of the plastic cover over the spark plugs. It would work its way down past the oil filler cap. For some reason, the rubber gasket doesn't properly seal the spark plug #1 well (I can spin it when everything is properly tightened). I tried moving one from one of the other spark plugs, but found that while they seal fine at #2, #3, and #4, they won't seal at #1. Something may not be machined correctly at the #1 well. I wouldn't recommend using silicone to seal anything. Silicone off-gases, and it the vapors are pulled into the air-fuel mix, the oxygen sensor will be damaged. I sealed the gap around the windshield washer nozzle assembly with Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. That solved the problem until a couple of months ago. (Incidentally, I kept getting corrosion at the battery. I sealed the washer nozzle assembly above the battery, and haven't had any corrosion since.) I found that with my latest problem, the rubber gasket that seals the engine compartment to the hood was out of place, allowing water to once again get onto the plastic cover. I fixed that today, and have placed a sheet of plastic over the hard plastic to try to keep water out. Ultimately, it would probably be better to find a better gasket to use at well #1. I may look for some thick rubber sheeting that I can cut to size in place of the current gasket.

What year ECHO?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 Old 12-14-2018, 12:38 PM
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the same problem, coolant in #1 spark plug tube

Hello,

I came across this thread trying to research the cause of some coolant/water I found in my #1 spark plug tube on my 2000 Echo with 226,000 miles and a 1.5 engine. I found this thread directly relevant since the original poster said his car was also an Echo and the #1 spark plug tube in in his car also had coolant/moisture. My car had been running well until, in recent weeks, it would once in great while momentarily miss and then return to normal for many days. However, this week, it suddenly started missing and stumbling consistently after the engine had been running for 15 or so minutes. Yesterday, I removed the spark plugs to check their condition and they all looked fine, but I noticed some coolant and water on the inner portion of the #1 spark plug coil and the boot that fits onto the plug itself. The spark plug tube was also wet, but there was no moisture or coolant on the spark plug tip that goes into the cylinder. The amount of coolant in the tube was not a lot, but it immediately caught my eye when I removed the boot and saw many water droplets on the surfaces, something I had never seen before. The other spark plug tubes had no moisture. There is no white smoke from the tailpipe that would indicate a blown head gasket and the oil on the dipstick looks normal, no foaming. I am wondering if the cause is one of the following: head or block cracked; maybe a blown head gasket; or perhaps a leak in the intake manifold. I intend to start this weekend by removing the intake manifold to inspect it, possibly replace the gasket if there is evidence of a leak. Any thoughts or comments about your experiences would be appreciated.
post #18 of 22 Old 12-26-2018, 09:17 PM
New TN User

I have the same problem. 02 echo. 210xxx kms. Several times either cylinder 1 or 2 have had water and started misfiring. At first I thought it was an injection issue until i looked at the plugs and they were filled with water. Im not 100% on this, but if you do a compression test I think that will tell you if your head gasket is ok. Mine have only had water no oil or coolant. First noticed it about a year ago and I sopped the water up with shop towels. Now Im on a road trip and it started again. Im just going to monitor it and hope for the best. Not sure what's causing it but if I figure it out ill post it here. Seems like a reoccurring theme.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 22 Old 12-28-2018, 03:40 PM
torranosaurus

Hello.
Had this issue on an XB, and on an Echo or two. All cases for me turned out to be from outside sources. I went through a car wash once and it happened in the car wash to my XB.
I used to run them with the engine cover off, but it seems to cause this issue more readily.
post #20 of 22 Old 06-07-2019, 11:46 AM
New TN User

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had the same problem once - water in the number 1 plug well. Misfired badly. Got the water out. Changed the coil pack and plug. It was fine after that. No more problems.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-18-2019, 04:35 PM
New TN User

Girlfriend's echo has been having misfire constantly on #1, no matter how many times I cleaned the water out and glumped on dielectric grease, the issue kept coming back. The coils started to fail a few months back, And I decided to fit it and stop bandaging it.

I went out there one day after it was raining for a time, and noticed the underside of the hood was wet, and a wet streak leading to the oil cap.
I used ABS to 3d printed a round cap to block water from getting in the oilcap hole. RTV used to fill in the cracks. Also RTV'd the "oring" where the coils are inserted. no more problems.
post #22 of 22 Old 07-19-2019, 07:07 AM
New TN User

I found mine to be the rubber seal that runs along the hood near the windshield. It was allowing water to get in and run down the underside of the hood, much like notarobot found.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Yaris/Scion iA, Vitz and Echo Forum