How to: change a yaris clutch - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Yaris/Scion iA, Vitz and Echo Forum Discussion area for all the Toyota Yaris/Scion iA, Echo, and Vitz owners worldwide.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-23-2013, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
How to: change a yaris clutch

Hey everybody, my names zeke and im a Toyota master tech, a man came in with an 08 yaris, would not move, diagnosed as a bad clutch. The man said hell with it, and traded it in. The darling blue hatchback sat in our back lot for 2 months, until I sprung the 4500$ trade in value, and threw it on my rack.
Im doing this write up because there is a stark lack of information on doing this job "laymans" method, so i'm here to lend some info to the needy!
NOTE, THIS IS NOT THE TOYOTA APPROVED METHOD, BUT THE JOB CALLS FOR 7 HOURS AND I DID IT THIS WAY IN 5.
Step one is the strip down, like all cars with tiny engine bays, removing all the big stuff in the way can make a job MUCH easier.
First to come out, wiper cowl, unbolt the wipers, place them aside. The plastic top piece has 2 screw in clips, pulls off. The underplastic, pull up sharply, it will all come out eventually. unbolt the wiper motor 12mm 2 bolts, and then there are about 9 10mm bolts holding in the metal tray, remove and place aside.
Admire your new open engine bay. Pressing on!
Im a master tech as I said, so things are going to be kind of vauge, as if you are attempting this job, you should know how to do basic things.
Remove battery, battery tray, there are 5 12mm bolts, 3 on top, one near the fuse box, one on the bottom.
Remove the intake, BE VERY CAREFUL OF THE MAF, drops more than 13" will ruin the sensor.
Remove all the PCV air lines, and the intake pipe down to the throttle.
Unbolt the motor mount bracket where it attaches to the body, not the engine. LEAVE THE MAIN MOUNT BOLT IN OR IT WILL FALL.
Pull the lock clips on the shift linkage, dont lose the washers, pull the lock clips off the shift linkage and flop them to the side.
Lastly, unbolt the top trans case bolts, 2 on top, and unbolt the top starter bolt. youll need to move the wire harness.
NOTE: the starter bolts are longer than all the rest of the case bolts.

sit back, your about halfway off.

take out your center caps, or remove your hub caps, slam those axle nuts off, i forget the size off the top of my head, probably a 32mm. youll need to take a punch, or a philips screwdriver and pound out the axle nut detent. toyota doesn't use cotter pins.
raise your car up, however you please. I use my rack, but youll need at least 2 feet of room.
JACKSTANDS JACKSTAND JACKSTANDS. I just had the engine fall out of my SRT4 because my jack failed while i was doing my timing belt, it only takes one time for a hydro seal to fail and cut off an arm or kill you.
Drain your trans fluid, there's a 24mm drainplug under your driverside axle.
unbolt your struts, they are 19mm nuts and bolts. also remove the brake calipers, hang them from your spring using wire or w/e. Pull the hub away from the axles, use a prybar and unlock your axles from the trans, pull em out.
unbolt the trans housing on the bottom, theres one hidden bolt! its halfway up the back of the trans, youll see it when your looking for it. nows the time to unbolt your second starter bolt, its gonna fall out, i left mine hanging, you can unhook it if you please. by now you should have about 9 14mm transmission bolts.
continued....

Last edited by Handsonmaxima; 03-25-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-23-2013, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
i just finished the job, im going to upload pictures and fill in the gaps more when i get some sleep....
...ONWARD!
so figure out the best way to disconnect the clutch lines, i just left mine connected and unbolted the slave and push the lines and slave out of the way. but it would be much easier to disconnect the lines, but mine was corroded and i didnt wanna mess with it.
okay, now things get tricky, unbolt the torque mount from the subframe, IT SUCKS! this was an 08 and it was still pretty damn corroded. unbolt both 19mm bolts so that the torque mount falls out.
support the engine, go back on top, unbolt the rest of the trans mount 14mm bolts, now you have room to move the trans around!
get whatever you using to maneuver the trans around, skateboard, trans jack,doesnt matter, use your prybar, move the trans housing away from the engine, mine came apart with almost no effort, youll need to figure out your own method.
i split the halfs, pushed the engine forwards, slow moving the trans over the subframe, theres about 2 inches of overlap that needs move around.
drop it down, move it out from under the car, and your done!

thats about it for now, ill log in again tomorrow and flush out the writeup and add pictures.

anything you guys think im missing let me know. thanks for reading.

Last edited by Handsonmaxima; 03-23-2013 at 08:07 PM.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
This is how I remove the axles, the two strut 19mm bolts and nuts, hang the caliper with some mechanics wire.
Here's where I stuffed my slave clutch lines, into the inner fender well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-25-2013, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Official TN Member

(Thread Starter)
I supported the two halfs of the drivetrain with some spin-up jacks, worked great, the trans is so light you can just position it where you need to, the jacks there to give me a rest and hold it up. Another way recomended is just dropping both engine and trans, disconnect your coolant lines, unbolt the a/c compressor and she falls right out.

And finally a view of the hellacious torque mount, bust out the breaker bars if your in the salt belt. I took mine to the wire wheel to get it reinstalled smoothly with blue locktite.
The Following User Says Thank You to Handsonmaxima For This Useful Post:
Cloakedbug (04-07-2013)
post #5 of 21 Old 10-28-2016, 07:34 PM
New TN User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm getting ready to do this myself this weekend. Did the pictures get posted and links broken? I don't see them.
post #6 of 21 Old 10-28-2016, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4675 Post(s)
Thanked 3,553 Times in 2,885 Posts
Lifetime Supreme Member
Welcome to Toyotanation! It is a common thing for that to happen with a post with as much vintage as this one. I do however see some pictures in his post so I'm not sure why you don't
post #7 of 21 Old 10-28-2016, 07:50 PM
New TN User

Go figure. Yea, now they show up. I've had this thread bookmarked for 2 weeks and have looked at it on two PCs and my Mac and this is the first time today that the photos have shown up.
post #8 of 21 Old 10-28-2016, 08:22 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
Hmm, Looking at the image url it looks like he has them on an album here on TN. Autoguide has had some issues and TN specifically and I wonder if they were shuffled around behind the scenes and it took a bit to reestablish things.

Hopefully it's helpful for you. If you have the time you might take a few pics and or consider doing your own diy. It's always nice to help folks out in the future if you are going to be in there anyway
post #9 of 21 Old 10-28-2016, 08:34 PM
New TN User

Yes, the pictures clarify almost everything that the OP said
post #10 of 21 Old 10-29-2016, 01:25 PM
New TN User

Drat. The photos are gone again and I stupidly didn't leave the page up
post #11 of 21 Old 10-29-2016, 01:39 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
They never left for me. Can you go to his page and check his albums over on the right? See if you see them that way?
post #12 of 21 Old 10-29-2016, 01:59 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartdisease View Post
They never left for me. Can you go to his page and check his albums over on the right? See if you see them that way?
Cool. I can see them that way. Still odd. Not showing up in the thread on Chrome, Safari, ie, or firefox spread between two pcs at home a mac at home and a linux box at work.
post #13 of 21 Old 10-29-2016, 02:31 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
They show on my laptop and chrome mobile still. That's odd. But if you can still get to them at least you till use them.
post #14 of 21 Old 10-29-2016, 05:14 PM
New TN User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartdisease View Post
They show on my laptop and chrome mobile still. That's odd. But if you can still get to them at least you till use them.
OK, apparently I can't actually get to the album photos. The thumbnails come up, but if I click on any of them, they don't shows. Same on osx, linux, and windows.
post #15 of 21 Old 10-29-2016, 05:34 PM

Lifetime Supreme Member
I'll do some checking when I get back home later in. I've asked some of the staff if they see them and everyone does. It has me baffled but I'll see if I can re upload them to photo bucket later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Passenger and Sports Car Forums > Yaris/Scion iA, Vitz and Echo Forum