3rd Gen Electrical Problems on Shift - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
4Runner 3rd Generation (1996-2002) Discussion area for the third generation Toyota 4Runner.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 03-22-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
3rd Generation 3rd Gen Electrical Problems on Shift

I have a 3rd Gen, 1999, 4wd Limited 4Runner that about a month ago developed an issue where every time you switch to Drive, the Instrument Panel fuse pops. Which is where the Alternator is going to keep the battery charged. You can switch to 2nd and drive normally, as will low, and reverse. The issue only occurs on switching to Drive.

I went to several mechanics who all said it was the Neutral Safety Switch causing it to blow the fuse, however, I just finished replacing the Switch, and the problem is still there. You can, however, start the truck, unplug the safety switch, and then switch to Drive and it works just about fine (no cruise control).

The battery and radiator were both replaced about four months ago, but that was well before this problem started. Hopefully, somebody has seen this before, but it's got us here stumped. Everything else electrical as far as I can tell works just fine, and we installed a brand-spankin' new switch per the mechanic's directions and zilch.

Thanks Y'all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-23-2019, 08:29 AM
Senior TN Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
You need to obtain a wiring diagram and see what all is in the circuit. Something must be shorting to ground to blow the fuse in the circuit it feeds. If it only happens when switching to D, then I would suspect that the D indicator lamp circuit may be the cause. When you switch to drive the D light turns on, shorts out and blows the fuse. Not sure how the neutral safety switch could cause that.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-24-2019, 08:41 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,921 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
Wink

Welcome to the forums!

I would guess that there is a short in the D indicator wiring harness as the NSS is what sends power to the gear selector indicators. You'll need to git the appropriate electrical wiring diagram (EWD) and see where that circuit might cross over to that fuse. If you don't have one, you can git it from the Toyota Techinfo website. You can sign up fer the $20 (48 hour) account and download the entire factory service manual(s) (FSM) as well as the EWD. Outside of that, yer gonna have to hunt down a physical one and buy it. They can be found on eBay as well as other resellers.

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, dual oil catch jars, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block, aero single wheel trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > 4Runner Forum > 4Runner 3rd Generation (1996-2002)