Inaccurate Floor Shifter......Misaligned? - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
4Runner 3rd Generation (1996-2002) Discussion area for the third generation Toyota 4Runner.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-13-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Inaccurate Floor Shifter......Misaligned?

Hello,

I have a 2002 4Runner 4X4

When you shift from Park to Reverse to Neutral, it shows the correct "gear" on the dash indicator. When shifted to Drive, no light illuminates on the dash above the "D". So, I am guessing the light is burnt out for the "D" in the instrument cluster. I found the replacement guide and plan on switching out all of the bulbs while I am in there.

Now, the issue is the floor shifter. When you move the floor shifter it feels like it's moving properly as it should. However, the orange indicator on the floor shifter does not show properly where it should be. For example, it's fine when you shift into Reverse, the floor indicator shows it's in Reverse. But once you go into Neutral or Drive, the orange indicator is slightly off and doesn't move to the correct position. It's like the indicator is "off" half of a "click". The dash shows the correct location of the shifter (except the Drive lamp is out), but the floor shifter is not accurately displaying what gear it is in once you shift past Reverse. Any ideas what could be causing this? Or how to fix it? It's very confusing because the shifting itself is flawless. Could the floor shift indicator be "off" because of the burnt out bulb on the "D" Dash indicator? I'm doubtful on that, but figured I would ask.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by smilee03; 04-13-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-14-2019, 08:31 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Thanked 3,692 Times in 2,922 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
Wink

It's possible that the neutral safety switch may be misaligned. Yer gonna have to take a peek on the right side of the transmission and see. It should have a 10mm bolt holding it in place that you can loosen so you can adjust it accordingly. Good luck!

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, dual oil catch jars, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block, aero single wheel trailer
post #3 of 4 Old 04-15-2019, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Awesome! I will definitely check this out. Is there anything special I have to do with the shifter while I check it? Should it be in any certain gear etc?

Thank you so much for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-16-2019, 02:38 PM
T100 Road Warrior...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Thanked 3,692 Times in 2,922 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
Wink

I think the indicator that's misaligned should have an adjustment under the shifter to realign the indicator and not adjusting the NSS.

1998 T-100 SR5 2WD auto, Roadmaster Active suspension, dual oil catch jars, AC mod, aero cap, lower aero package, 67% grill block, aero single wheel trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > 4Runner Forum > 4Runner 3rd Generation (1996-2002)