Auto lights OR How does Techstream Vehicle Configuration Code work - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
4Runner 5th Generation (2010+) Discussion area for the fifth generation Toyota 4Runner.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By hardtopte72

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-06-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Auto lights OR How does Techstream Vehicle Configuration Code work

Greetings,

I have a 5th Gen 19' 4Runner TRD Off Road. I have installed the auto headlight sensor (part# 89121-50020) and it works (dims/brightens the dash and infotainment based on ambient light). In Techstream it is also detected and reads the current light value off the sensor. However it doesn't actually turn on the headlights. I have eliminated the switch stalk as being the culprit since it is electrically identical between the the two parts (#84140-35171 for TRD PRO/Limited & #84140-35181 for all others). The stalk only differs in the 'DRL' setting being labeled 'AUTO' on the TRD PROs and Limiteds.

The Body Control Module for the various trims differs in part configuration number. For example, my BCM is part# 89220-35340. I am absolutely certain I can swap in a TRD PRO BCM (#89220-35420) and gain fully functional auto headlights at this point. However, I am also absolutely certain these BCM's are physically & electrically identical. The only differ in programming.

So, does anyone know how to reprogram a BCM from a TRD OR to that of a TRD PRO?

I suspect this functionality may be present in Techstream under the Vehicle Configuration function.

Can anyone share some information on Techstream's Vehicle Configuration function? I.e. what does it do, how does it work, what code is required, and how do you get that code?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-14-2019, 01:53 PM
Toyota Fanatic

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2086 Post(s)
Thanked 4,427 Times in 3,154 Posts
Supreme Member
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Programming is done in the menu of the specific ECU you are attempting to program. Additionally, programming requires a link to TIS, which I assume you don't have or can't have. Toyota controls which computer can receive the individual programming code. So it is unlikely Toyota would even make the TRD PRO programming available to TRD Off Road BCMs. In addition to all that, programming access is only available to certain subscription holders or Toyota MDT (Master Diagnostic Technicians).

Considering the cost of the equipment and services you would need (Mongoose VIM with Techstream [$1545], TIS Diagnostic Professional Subscription [$65 for 2 days], and a J2534 Programming Device [$500 to $2500], you are better off living with it, buying the correct BCM, trying your luck with a dealer, or trading up to a TRD PRO. This is especially true considering if anything goes wrong during programming, you will brick the BCM.
BamZipPow likes this.

My Toyota List:

1982 Corolla SR-5 (Shell Right Now)
2005 Corolla CE 1ZZFE M/T
2005 Sequoia Limited 2UZFE A/T
2008 LS460 SWB RWD 1URFSE A/T

If I helped out in any way please hit the Thanks button under my post.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-14-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
I appreciate the general guidance in your reply. You seem to know what you're talking about. Can you comment more specifically regarding the VCC and/or Calibration re-flash process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtopte72 View Post
programming requires a link to TIS, which I assume you don't have or can't have.
? What would constitute can't? Are you hinting at a dealer only option (The Right to Repair Act made such things illegal) or a location restriction (must be in the USA, which I am)
Quote:
Toyota controls which computer can receive the individual programming code. So it is unlikely Toyota would even make the TRD PRO programming available to TRD Off Road BCMs.
I thought of this. If I had access to a TRD Pro (rental, friend, etc.) to acquire the programming / calibration / update that would likely overcome this hurdle, if it is restricted that way. Then I could use the same update on other 4Runners.
Quote:
In addition to all that, programming access is only available to certain subscription holders or Toyota MDT (Master Diagnostic Technicians).
I assume that would be included in the 'Professional Diagnostics' level. Thoughts?
Quote:
Considering the cost of the equipment and services you would need (Mongoose VIM with Techstream [$1545], TIS Diagnostic Professional Subscription [$65 for 2 days], and a J2534 Programming Device [$500 to $2500]
I already have all the equipment. I am willing to, and already planning on, subscribing over a long weekend where I can dedicate the time before the two day (really 3 day if I order in the morning) subscription expires. I may have to do that a few times, who knows.
Quote:
you are better off (1)living with it, (2)buying the correct BCM, (3)trying your luck with a dealer, (4)or trading up to a TRD PRO.
#1 & #4 are not options. #3 If I have a dealer fix it, I didn't learn anything, have nothing to share, and reverse engineered nothing. This is a hobby. I do this kind of stuff because I enjoy it.

#2 is underway as soon as I can find one salvaged (eBay, car-parts, LKQ, etc.). This is going to happen regardless as it gives me a disposable BCM. If waiting for a salvaged unit takes too long I'll buy one new from a dealer @ about $430.

#4 No. I want the cloth seats & KDSS. Further, no one would trade a brand new sub 1,000 mile TRD OR for a TRD PRO just to get auto-headlights and lose $6,000 to 10's of thousands of dollars in the process.
Quote:
This is especially true considering if anything goes wrong during programming, you will brick the BCM.
I'll make a backup of the original BCM before proceeding with programming if I don't have a spare already on hand. I'll;
  1. remove the flash chip with my hot-air rework station
  2. read the flash part and dump it to file
  3. Re-install the chip or a chip carrier if feasible (TSOP48 or other easily cradled chip)

I'v also considered the following for recouping some of my cost on the module.
  1. order the aforementioned $430 donor module
  2. remove the flash chip with my hot-air rework station
  3. dump the flash part to file
  4. clone the dump file to a new compatible flash part
  5. Re-install the donor chip into the donor module
  6. install the cloned chip into the the original BCM (likely have to get rid of the original chip if they use anything that does sector write locking)
  7. resell the donor module on forums, friend, eBay, etc.

I can then make the file available to anyone who would want to repeat the process. My concern is that most people are not capable of hotair rework or flash chip programming. I ultimately want to find a more manageable solution than that mentioned above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-16-2019, 02:38 PM
Toyota Fanatic

Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtB45
? What would constitute can't? Are you hinting at a dealer only option (The Right to Repair Act made such things illegal) or a location restriction (must be in the USA, which I am)
Judging by your subscription expiration from your screenshot, I'm going to guess your copy of Techstream is NOT from Toyota. Rather your copy is likely from an Amazon/eBay cable and disc package. You can only connect legitimate Toyota Techstream versions to TIS as it verifies subscriptions when connecting. Legitimate versions of Techstream cost over $1500 and require using a legitimate Mongoose VIM for proper speeds.

Quote:
I thought of this. If I had access to a TRD Pro (rental, friend, etc.) to acquire the programming / calibration / update that would likely overcome this hurdle, if it is restricted that way. Then I could use the same update on other 4Runners.
I assume that would be included in the 'Professional Diagnostics' level. Thoughts?
How would you "acquire" the programming? There isn't a copy or backup feature in the Techstream software.

Quote:
I already have all the equipment. I am willing to, and already planning on, subscribing over a long weekend where I can dedicate the time before the two day (really 3 day if I order in the morning) subscription expires. I may have to do that a few times, who knows.
You have an actual ECU programming device and legitimate VIM?

Quote:
#1 & #4 are not options. #3 If I have a dealer fix it, I didn't learn anything, have nothing to share, and reverse engineered nothing. This is a hobby. I do this kind of stuff because I enjoy it.

#2 is underway as soon as I can find one salvaged (eBay, car-parts, LKQ, etc.). This is going to happen regardless as it gives me a disposable BCM. If waiting for a salvaged unit takes too long I'll buy one new from a dealer @ about $430.

#4 No. I want the cloth seats & KDSS. Further, no one would trade a brand new sub 1,000 mile TRD OR for a TRD PRO just to get auto-headlights and lose $6,000 to 10's of thousands of dollars in the process.
#2 would be your best option, assuming there isn't a compatibility variable that isn't accounted for.

Quote:
I'll make a backup of the original BCM before proceeding with programming if I don't have a spare already on hand. I'll;
  1. remove the flash chip with my hot-air rework station
  2. read the flash part and dump it to file
  3. Re-install the chip or a chip carrier if feasible (TSOP48 or other easily cradled chip)
This may be the only real option you have. This again assumes there isn't some unaccounted variable.

Quote:
I'v also considered the following for recouping some of my cost on the module.
  1. order the aforementioned $430 donor module
  2. remove the flash chip with my hot-air rework station
  3. dump the flash part to file
  4. clone the dump file to a new compatible flash part
  5. Re-install the donor chip into the donor module
  6. install the cloned chip into the the original BCM (likely have to get rid of the original chip if they use anything that does sector write locking)
  7. resell the donor module on forums, friend, eBay, etc.
Quote:
I can then make the file available to anyone who would want to repeat the process. My concern is that most people are not capable of hotair rework or flash chip programming. I ultimately want to find a more manageable solution than that mentioned above.
Hopefully you can find what you are looking for.

My Toyota List:

post #5 of 8 Old 01-16-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Judging by your subscription expiration from your screenshot, I'm going to guess your copy of Techstream is NOT from Toyota.
This was just a offline activation. Since I didn't have a current active TIS web subscription I used it to produce the screenshot. There is obviously no TIS web access backing it up at all. When I need TIS web access I purchase a short subscription and enter the new subscription info.

Quote:
Legitimate versions of Techstream cost over $1500 and require using a legitimate Mongoose VIM for proper speeds.
Respectfully, No they don't. Techstream software is included with a $65 two day subscription. See here: https://techinfo.snapon.com/TIS/term...spx?action=new
And I can assure you from my own experience that the legitimate TechStream 2-day subscription works with any J2534 pass-thru compatible device. They probably wont provide techsupport if I call in claiming something isn't working, but they do nothing to prevent/encumber it.

Quote:
How would you "acquire" the programming? There isn't a copy or backup feature in the Techstream software.
Not knowing more about how they do that, although it appears the flash updates are downloaded and executed as standalone programs. If so, I'd use Fiddler to capture the network activity and produce a saveable payload. Fiddler can decrypt the TLS communications and save them. It may also be as simple as copying the contents from a temp folder while it's executing. I'd use Process Monitor to zero in on what I need to be paying attention to.

This is a bit like me proposing to you; "There is a safe in the corner with $1,000,000 in it, how would you get the money?" I really need more info to produce a informed answer. What kind of safe is it? Is it locked? Are there security guards? etc. That was one of my goals in the original post, to gather more intelligence from people familiar with it.

Quote:
You have an actual ECU programming device and legitimate VIM?
I have a Chinese clone GM MDI that works as a 100% compatible J2534 pass-thru device. I also have a clone Ford VCM2 that is not quite as compatible. Bosch excluded some of the J2534 interfaces on the VCM2, likely at Ford's behest to lower costs since those networks are not present on Ford vehicles. GM's GDS2 and Ford's IDS software suites do check to make sure the J2534 is legitimate to their brand (or at least a exact electrical Chinese clone ) and do not work with generic J2534 pass-thru devices (without hacking IDS/GDS2). Toyota on the other hand does not do that. TechStream works with any registered J2534 device, at least as of version 13.

If you're interested in the particulars of the various J2534 devices (VIM / MDI / VCM etc.) I cover it here: mhhauto - VCM2 Hacking

Quote:
#2 would be your best option, assuming there isn't a compatibility variable that isn't accounted for.

This may be the only real option you have. This again assumes there isn't some unaccounted variable.
I may have to go that way as a step in the process but I think I'll succeed with a in-place flashable solution.

Time will tell.

Quote:
Hopefully you can find what you are looking for.
Yep, thanks for trying to assist.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-16-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Anyone interested in this might follow it here as well: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-g...le-mod-11.html
post #7 of 8 Old 01-16-2019, 05:09 PM
Toyota Fanatic

Supreme Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtB45 View Post
Respectfully, No they don't. Techstream software is included with a $65 two day subscription. See here: https://techinfo.snapon.com/TIS/term...spx?action=new
And I can assure you from my own experience that the legitimate TechStream 2-day subscription works with any J2534 pass-thru compatible device. They probably wont provide techsupport if I call in claiming something isn't working, but they do nothing to prevent/encumber it.
I misread the website.

Side point on the Chinese J2534 devices. I also bought one of those clones, but in practice it doesn't work very well. Connection losses and really slow speeds. If this occurred during a reflash, you would brick the ECU.

Would you mind taking this to PM so I can see what you got and where you got it?

My Toyota List:

post #8 of 8 Old 01-16-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
New TN User

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Would you mind taking this to PM so I can see what you got and where you got it?
Of course not! PM away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums > Toyota Truck, SUV and Van Forums > 4Runner Forum > 4Runner 5th Generation (2010+)